Jdofmemi and the yet unnamed Jeep rebuild

It seems I haven't updated my thread since EmW kicked off.

Had a great time in Moab and in Colorado. All was reported on the trip thread, so I'm not going to duplicate it here.

Made it back to California in a roundabout way, stopping several places to see old friends.

The only hiccup was loose wheel studs on the way home. Not nuts, the studs were backing out of the flange. I've never had threaded in studs before, only the kind you press or drive in.

Got that handled, and upon getting home, I had over 3,400 miles, and over 120 hours on the Jeep since I left home.

I found a bargain, new in the box on Craigslist the other day, so I upgraded the front of the Jeep.

Out went the VR 10,000, in with a Zeon 12,000. It had steel cable, but I had a brand new synthetic ready to go on my old winch. Well, it went right on the new one.

I finished the winch install, and went to drive the Jeep to a meeting, and it threw a fit. Wouldn't shift out of second gear.

I pulled codes,

Codes:
P0113
Intake air temp sensor 1 circuit high

P0306
Cylinder 6 misfire

P0300
Multiple cylinder misfire

P0456
EVAP system small leak

P0441 EVAP purge system performance

P0455
EVAP system large leak

V140B
Left rear wheel speed sensor

V140A
Right front wheel speed sensor

P0501
Vehicle speed sensor 1 performance

B1630
RT low beam circuit high

B162C
Let low beam circuit high

Quite the list.

I did have a misfire event while in Moab, so maybe that was it, though when it happened, there was no codes except the two headlight ones that are always there, and the small EVAP leak, also always there.

I cleared the codes and drove to Home Depot, about a mile, and the speed sensor codes were still there. I bought new ones for the rear, and will change them and see what happens.

The intake temp sensor code is still there as well. I will play with the wires, and if that don't help, I can replace it as well. Hopefully once I change out speed sensors, it decides to straighten up and shift right.

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_212445_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20200821_212445_copy_600x800.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20200821_215124_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20200821_215124_copy_600x800.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20200823_093620_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200823_093620_copy_800x600.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 117
Sorry you’re having trouble again, but that’s an impressive list of codes! Sounds like you’ve got a good plan of attack for troubleshooting.

Nice Craigslist find!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Wow, sounds like you had the full Christmas Tree! I ended up around 4500 miles door to door. Nice find on the winch - specially the big boy.
Ironically, I flipped my kill switch on this morning just for the hell of it. I hadn't had it on since I installed it last Fall. Lol, the traction control light
and abs light wouldn't go off. I even restarted it several times. It's like the computer said, "Oh sure, now you want my help. Well fuck right off" 😂

Wow, sounds like you had the full Christmas Tree! I ended up around 4500 miles door to door. Nice find on the winch - specially the big boy.
Ironically, I flipped my kill switch on this morning just for the hell of it. I hadn't had it on since I installed it last Fall. Lol, the traction control light
and abs light wouldn't go off. I even restarted it several times. It's like the computer said, "Oh sure, now you want my help. Well fuck right off" 😂

That's funny, because I did the same thing, and got the same result 🤣🤣🤣

It was after I had all the codes though.

Once I get it fixed up again, I will try again.

and abs light wouldn't go off. I even restarted it several times. It's like the computer said, "Oh sure, now you want my help. Well fuck right off" [emoji23]

That’s hilarious. You don’t need it anyway

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Well, I have fallen behind on keeping up with this thread.

After coming home from the Dusy in August, the Jeep sat in the garage. On the way home it developed a misfire, but for a list of reasons I won't bore people with, I didn't get to do anything with it for a while.

When the NY21 run came up, I planned three days to work on it and fix all the issues. Work got in the way, and threw days turned into three hours. My hoped for fix didn't, but I trailered it out to NY21 anyway, and ran Two Leaf the next day, then brought it home.

Work again interfered with fixing the Jeep, and instead of missing a Sand Hollow run, I trailered it there, hoping for it to work out like it did before.

Well, it didn't.

I made it from town to the trail, and just prior to meeting up with Don, Casey, and crew, the Jeep let me know it was really not happy with the situation. The whole dash kit up, and it sounded like a wheezing animal.

It did get back to the trailer on its own, though I had to go to 4 low on two small grades on the city streets.

Tonight I was able to start tearing into it, meaning to change the cam sensors, crank sensor, coil packs, and plugs, seeing if the tune up helped, plus the codes were crank sensor and both cam sensors. The new code was for a vacuum leak.

I got the intake removed, what a PITA. As I was leaning in to unplug the cam sensor, I noticed something funny in the lower intake. I looked closer, and found a HOLE had been melted in the #6 intake runner😱

I've never seen something like that before. The only thing I can think is the intake valve is not closing properly, and combustion is coming back up the intake.

Checking on my warranty status tomorrow before I make any decisions.

Attachments

• PXL_20210130_011506151_copy_600x800.jpg
    PXL_20210130_011506151_copy_600x800.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 81

After coming home from the Dusy in August, the Jeep sat in the garage. On the way home it developed a misfire, but for a list of reasons I won't bore people with, I didn't get to do anything with it for a while.

When the NY21 run came up, I planned three days to work on it and fix all the issues. Work got in the way, and threw days turned into three hours. My hoped for fix didn't, but I trailered it out to NY21 anyway, and ran Two Leaf the next day, then brought it home.

Work again interfered with fixing the Jeep, and instead of missing a Sand Hollow run, I trailered it there, hoping for it to work out like it did before.

Well, it didn't.

I made it from town to the trail, and just prior to meeting up with Don, Casey, and crew, the Jeep let me know it was really not happy with the situation. The whole dash kit up, and it sounded like a wheezing animal.

It did get back to the trailer on its own, though I had to go to 4 low on two small grades on the city streets.

Tonight I was able to start tearing into it, meaning to change the cam sensors, crank sensor, coil packs, and plugs, seeing if the tune up helped, plus the codes were crank sensor and both cam sensors. The new code was for a vacuum leak.

I got the intake removed, what a PITA. As I was leaning in to unplug the cam sensor, I noticed something funny in the lower intake. I looked closer, and found a HOLE had been melted in the #6 intake runner[emoji33]

I've never seen something like that before. The only thing I can think is the intake valve is not closing properly, and combustion is coming back up the intake.

Doing some quick searching. Seems a stuck egr valve could cause that. That sucks hopefully it is covered.

Edit: If it has Mopar vehicle protection plan you can look it up online. I recently did for mine. Just Google it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Doing some quick searching. Seems a stuck egr valve could cause that. That sucks hopefully it is covered.

Edit: If it has Mopar vehicle protection plan you can look it up online. I recently did for mine. Just Google it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, but it don't, I have one of the crappy deal aftermarket warranties they sell on used cars. It should be covered, but who knows.

Good tip on the egr valve though 👍👍

Well, it didn't.

I got the intake removed, what a PITA. As I was leaning in to unplug the cam sensor, I noticed something funny in the lower intake. I looked closer, and found a HOLE had been melted in the #6 intake runner[emoji33]

Damn that’s crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We had a car come in the shop that was running real bad. Turned out the catalytic converter had plugged up and the exhaust was blowing back through the EGR hot enough to blow a hole in the intake. When it's back together check the exhaust pipe temps on either side of the cat to make sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just to further update the shit show this is becoming, I stopped by the local Jeep, Ram, Dodge dealer, and had them verify that they work with my warranty company.

They called back and said the warranty is not in effect, as it was never paid for by the selling dealer, even though I paid for it.

One more later of shit to wade through now.

Another update coming after that conversation.

Top Bottom