My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

T&ERun

LOSER
Dynatrac pro grip..

Just wanted to add valuable info to this thread for future searches on brake upgrades for the Jeep JK

I was interested in this kit until I found out that it does not include new front calipers. $1000 for 4 rotors and front caliper brackets is nuts, sorry.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was interested in this kit until I found out that it does not include new front calipers. $1000 for 4 rotors and front caliper brackets is nuts, sorry.

LOL!! If you're more concerned with what parts you get rather than how well your Jeep will actually stop, you're right, $1000 for 4 proprietary rotors, proprietary pads and brackets may be a little nuts. Me, I've been able to test the ProGrips compared to kits that ONLY provide new parts for the front and can tell you that I found the latter to offer substandard braking. To me, spending money on parts that don't actually provide "better" or even "as good" performance is nuts but hey, that's just me :yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

So you would buy it if they included parts you didn't need?

How many stickers do you want?

CRZRTX

I apologize for not finding the answer to this question in the 77 pages of this thread, but I have a big brake question. Will big brakes (14.2" plus caliper) fit in a 17" ATX slab? Not sure what the caliper thickness is yet (on order).

Thanks,

ixplorn

What the heck?!?

:cheesy: Stickers do offer more performance :thumb:

I read the first few pages of this thread and it sounded like Majik was on to something. I really need to upgrade my brakes, that's the main reason I re-joined this forum, seems I was bounced after the site update. Anyway, I jumped to the end of the thread only to discover a bunch of bickering and fighting, WTF?

Is there a happy ending to all of this or do I buy a BlackMagicBrakes or TF Kit.

Synopsis anyone? Or am I going to have to read the whole thread?

Gary

Tanner505

I read the first few pages of this thread and it sounded like Majik was on to something. I really need to upgrade my brakes, that's the main reason I re-joined this forum, seems I was bounced after the site update. Anyway, I jumped to the end of the thread only to discover a bunch of bickering and fighting, WTF?

Is there a happy ending to all of this or do I buy a BlackMagicBrakes or TF Kit.

Gary

Dynatrac has a kit now that's what I'm gonna do

computeruser6

Gary

There's some funny stuff in the last few pages of this thread, but I wouldn't waste the time reading all of it. Here are some brake kit options:

The Baer front and rear system.

Two different front kits are available from Wilwood.

A front and rear kit is available from Road Race Motorsports

Teraflex has a front kit advertised on their website. Though not advertised directly on their website if you look at page 94 of the Teraflex catalog you'll see a rear kit as P/N 4304450.

Last but not least...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read the first few pages of this thread and it sounded like Majik was on to something. I really need to upgrade my brakes, that's the main reason I re-joined this forum, seems I was bounced after the site update.

You "rejoined" this forum?

Anyway, I jumped to the end of the thread only to discover a bunch of bickering and fighting, WTF?

Funny, I think that's my line.

Is there a happy ending to all of this or do I buy a BlackMagicBrakes or TF Kit. Synopsis anyone? Or am I going to have to read the whole thread?

You tell us. :naw:

Folks, just an FYI. We have Dynatrac ProGrip brake kits in stock and ready to ship.

Thanks to all of you for your support and interest in our latest new product. We are very pleased with the feedback we are receiving from the early customers. We also did some further testing since the release, and are confident that there is no other kit that performs better, especially for the price. Before someone points it out, I will say it first; my opinion is not impartial. But I have driven identical Jeeps with other brake kits and we are very excited to have the best product.

GCM 2

Folks, just an FYI. We have Dynatrac ProGrip brake kits in stock and ready to ship.

Thanks to all of you for your support and interest in our latest new product. We are very pleased with the feedback we are receiving from the early customers. We also did some further testing since the release, and are confident that there is no other kit that performs better, especially for the price. Before someone points it out, I will say it first; my opinion is not impartial. But I have driven identical Jeeps with other brake kits and we are very excited to have the best product.

Bump to the top, for a fantastic company.

MICP3309

Very interested in these. Is there more information out there on this kit? I checked the Dynatrac website, and this isn't listed on there?

JK007

Everyone here has been so nice and welcoming that I wanted to try to give a little back. I figured we all could use some extra braking power for big tires, etc. There seems to be so much secrecy about the Teraflex kit and also the Jeep J8 brakes, so I've been doing some investigation, and I think I'm making progress. Please let me know if you guys are interested or if I'm just talking to myself so I don't waste time with posts if I'm beating a dead horse.

1. I have contacted the company that produces the J8 Jeeps and they have been wonderfully helpful, up to the point where they are legally allowed to share info. So, they are clearing it with their legal guys and I should hear more info this week.

2. I think I make have found the master cylinder that is used on the J8, and likely, the Teraflex upgrade. Check this link:

Click here

Take a look at the 2nd part listing (Part Number: MC391385 - Raybestos). It is for a Jeep JK with 13.07" rotors!!
Now check the 7th part listing (Mopar Part Number: 68091278AB). It is for the BR6 brake package: a heavy duty package I've seen listed as used on the J8!!

I am going to call Raybestos tomorrow to get the bore diameter and verify that the mounting base dimensions are the same. The cool thing is that if its the master cylinder Teraflex is using, it is in stock for $80, instead of the $190 Teraflex is selling it for. It would either be a 1 1/16th or a 1 1/8th inch bore diameter. A 1.25" diameter bore would be ideal, I think, and really give us some fluid movement for big calipers, but I'm going to have to hunt for a 1.25" bore MC with a bolt pattern to mate to our boosters.
For $80 I might just buy one and check it out for the benefit of everyone on this forum.

3. I verified with the installers for the J8 (they did volunteer this info freely) that the brake pads on the J8 truly are just late model Ram 1500 pads.

4. So, if the master cylinder above is truly a bolt on fit with a larger bore, then I just have to hunt rotor and caliper specifics.

I'll keep posting here if there is interest....

Hi

After reading 15 pages i just lost patienece sorry. Have a question for you.

Have you upgraded the Brake Booster and MC fron J8?
Mopar is selling a big brake upgrade kit and also a seperate item Master Cylinder and Brake Booster part number P5160050

I already have twin piston brake upgarde and just wanting to upgrade the brake booster and MC

Also your inbox is full.... Any help is appreciated thanks

Top Bottom