My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

If you guys don't stop, he won't post a separate post detailing his experience in a couple days when he cools down. Which is sure to be very entertaining! 🙄

PabloK

How is the OEM Jeep bolt falling out a Wildwood product problem? I'm confused. Is there more to the story?

Their instructions specify the use of the oem bolt in combination of red loctite and a specific torque amount. Wilwood does not supply their own bolt with the $1600 front brake kit.

The instructions were followed per spec and there was a catastrophic failure. However, in Wilwoods eyes, loctite simply never fails. The sales manager told me word for word," well I have a chevy duramax 2500 with over 25,000 miles and have never had an issue with a loose bolt on the caliper". Then we switched gears and told me my mechanic didn't install them correctly... it was just sad.

Should I have to check my caliper bolts every 5,000 miles to make sure they are holding? This isn't my first rodeo, I'm getting shafted and they are just pushing this aside simply as the company doesn't care about their customers.

Let's say for Wilwoods pleasure, loctite wasn't applied, wouldn't the bolt rattle out in 2-3,000 miles? 15,000 miles and BOTH front go at the same time? Sounds like a engineering flaw to me.

I'm done dealing with them.

PabloK

Spends $3500 on brakes but runs spacers.... :thinking:

Please explain? You are poorly informed if you think running a high quality set of properly spec'd spacers will have any real significance decrease in performance or reliability of your jeep. Period.

Are you buying your spacers from autozone with 4 inch lugs?

WJCO

Meme King
Their instructions specify the use of the oem bolt in combination of red loctite and a specific torque amount. Wilwood does not supply their own bolt with the $1600 front brake kit.

The instructions were followed per spec and there was a catastrophic failure. However, in Wilwoods eyes, loctite simply never fails. The sales manager told me word for word," well I have a chevy duramax 2500 with over 25,000 miles and have never had an issue with a loose bolt on the caliper". Then we switched gears and told me my mechanic didn't install them correctly... it was just sad.

Should I have to check my caliper bolts every 5,000 miles to make sure they are holding? This isn't my first rodeo, I'm getting shafted and they are just pushing this aside simply as the company doesn't care about their customers.

Let's say for Wilwoods pleasure, loctite wasn't applied, wouldn't the bolt rattle out in 2-3,000 miles? 15,000 miles and BOTH front go at the same time? Sounds like a engineering flaw to me.

I'm done dealing with them.

Don't take this the wrong way, but what I do for a living is analysis of automotive mechanical failures specifying in 'cause of failure.' If those pictures came across my desk, I would say that bolt came loose from improper torque all day long, just saying.

Does that bolt secure into another wildwood bracket or into the factory knuckle?

PabloK

:eek: $3500 on Wildwood brake kit vs. <$1000 for proven Dynatrac big brake kit?

Sure that seems like a great kit, go for it.

I purchased my kit for the reduced rotational mass, larger and higher quality rotors and pads, both of which create better stopping power(as does your $1000 kit). Slotted rotors keep the discs cool under pressure, larger pads have a race inspired design which helps dust control and protects wear.

Better brake modulation, firmer brake feel, less fade.

I can't even see the calipers behind my 17 inch wheels.

What I spend my money on doesn't affect you, I'm just telling the community make personal experience.

The instructions were followed per spec...

told me my mechanic didn't install them correctly...

Should I have to check my caliper bolts every 5,000 miles to make sure they are holding?

By reading what you wrote, you say it was done to spec. Then you say he told you your mechanic didn't install them correctly. So by that it looks like you had someone do the work. How do you know he did it to spec? Unless you watched the entire installation process.

As far as checking your jeep out every so many miles, it's called periodic maintenance or preventive maintenance and yes, it is required to ensure things like this are avoided. Do you just run your engine till the oil light comes on? I hope not. Same principles apply to the rest of your jeep.

Ddays

Hooked
Sure that seems like a great kit, go for it.

I purchased my kit for the reduced rotational mass, larger and higher quality rotors and pads, both of which create better stopping power(as does your $1000 kit). Slotted rotors keep the discs cool under pressure, larger pads have a race inspired design which helps dust control and protects wear.

Better brake modulation, firmer brake feel, less fade.

I can't even see the calipers behind my 17 inch wheels.

What I spend my money on doesn't affect you, I'm just telling the community make personal experience.

All that don't mean shit when the fuckers fall off!

PabloK

Don't take this the wrong way, but what I do for a living is analysis of automotive mechanical failures specifying in 'cause of failure.' If those pictures came across my desk, I would say that bolt came loose from improper torque all day long, just saying.

Does that bolt secure into another wildwood bracket or into the factory knuckle?

The bolt that was in my picture was from the rear kit.

We ripped it out to prove to Wilwood that the mechanic used loctite on the brake kit.

The bolts from the front of the caliper completely fell out while I was driving the jeep thus the grinding of the caliper on the wheel. The front two calipers were hanging by 1 bolt each. Each caliper is held on by 2 oem bolts.

PabloK

By reading what you wrote, you say it was done to spec. Then you say he told you your mechanic didn't install them correctly. So by that it looks like you had someone do the work. How do you know he did it to spec? Unless you watched the entire installation process.

As far as checking your jeep out every so many miles, it's called periodic maintenance or preventive maintenance and yes, it is required to ensure things like this are avoided. Do you just run your engine till the oil light comes on? I hope not. Same principles apply to the rest of your jeep.

Yes I was there during the process. I have 1 vehicle and I sit next to him and his son during the entire process. It's a father son shop, they do good work.

But that doesn't matter, I can't prove that. There cost on a caliper is about $100. I just don't want anybody else to get into what I had to deal with.

Get the $1000 kit, I'm an idiot and my mechanic is an idiot.

Yes I was there during the process. I have 1 vehicle and I sit next to him and his son during the entire process. It's a father son shop, they do good work.

But that doesn't matter, I can't prove that. There cost on a caliper is about $100. I just don't want anybody else to get into what I had to deal with.

Get the $1000 kit, I'm an idiot and my mechanic is an idiot.

Love how you glossed over the preventive maintenance aspect of jeep ownership.

This is starting to sound like the engine swap thread where the douche spends too much and it goes to shit for him then he comes on here to save us from making the same mistake.

The one thing you got right is the part about you being an idiot.

PabloK

Love how you glossed over the preventive maintenance aspect of jeep ownership.

This is starting to sound like the engine swap thread where the douche spends too much and it goes to shit for him then he comes on here to save us from making the same mistake.

The one thing you got right is the part about you being an idiot.

Thanks for the insult!

Glossed over the preventative maintenance aspect of jeep ownership? What does that have anything to do with bolting a caliper to the the mounting ears of the axle? Wilwood confirmed on their instructions and on the phone that locking the caliper is a single step procedure. You loctite it and torque it. Furthermore, i even re-torqued after the bedding procedure.

You know nothing in regards to my maintenance schedule and the care i put into my ride.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468548006.821139.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468548021.804186.jpg

This caliper is not specific to jeep wranglers, it's a generic part they use on hundreds of applications. Give me facts if you want to help. Do you check your caliper bolts every 5,000 miles? Should I be? You sound like an idiot. I followed their professional instructions and their product failed.

thardy

Banned
Please explain? You are poorly informed if you think running a high quality set of properly spec'd spacers will have any real significance decrease in performance or reliability of your jeep. Period.

Are you buying your spacers from autozone with 4 inch lugs?

Really!? Apparently my point went right over your head. Did I say there was anything wrong running a high quality spacer? No I didn't. BUT the proper thing to do is have properly backspaced wheels. The point I was making was that you spent $3500 on a brake kit, but choose to run spacers over getting the proper backspaced wheels.

And you're kidding yourself if you think spacers or even wheels that are backspaced more than factory aren't going to have an affect on wear and tear of the vehicle.

thardy

Banned
Thanks for the insult!

Glossed over the preventative maintenance aspect of jeep ownership? What does that have anything to do with bolting a caliper to the the mounting ears of the axle? Wilwood confirmed on their instructions and on the phone that locking the caliper is a single step procedure. You loctite it and torque it. Furthermore, i even re-torqued after the bedding procedure.

You know nothing in regards to my maintenance schedule and the care i put into my ride.

View attachment 212706 View attachment 212707

This caliper is not specific to jeep wranglers, it's a generic part they use on hundreds of applications. Give me facts if you want to help. Do you check your caliper bolts every 5,000 miles? Should I be? You sound like an idiot. I followed their professional instructions and their product failed.

This coming from the guy that didn't know caster and toe need to be adjusted after installing a lift.

PabloK

Really!? Apparently my point went right over your head. Did I say there was anything wrong running a high quality spacer? No I didn't. BUT the proper thing to do is have properly backspaced wheels. The point I was making was that you spent $3500 on a brake kit, but choose to run spacers over getting the proper backspaced wheels.

And you're kidding yourself if you think spacers or even wheels that are backspaced more than factory aren't going to have an affect on wear and tear of the vehicle.

I got spacers to run my evo coilovers. Wheels/brakes have been on my jeep for almost a year. Why spend another $1000 when spacers work just fine.

I think this is an uphill battle.. you guys win. Glad to be part of the community here.

thardy

Banned
I got spacers to run my evo coilovers. Wheels/brakes have been on my jeep for almost a year. Why spend another $1000 when spacers work just fine.

I think this is an uphill battle.. you guys win. Glad to be part of the community here.

Wait, the brakes have been on for over a year and you're blaming the Wilwood?

PabloK

Wait, the brakes have been on for over a year and you're blaming the Wilwood?

2015 Willy with about 15,000 miles. Mostly highway.

The supervisor at Wilwood told me "red loctite doesn't fail"

I can't find any information from willwood saying these particular bolts need to be removed, degreased, have loctite reapplied on any sort of annual biased.

To my understanding, when the truck goes in for a brake fluid change or some sort of brake job I would have this service performed... but at 15,000 miles of light use?

Am I really in the wrong here guys? If so, fine. I've just never had something like this happen and I've had many aftermarket brake kits. I'm mostly upset how Wilwood told me that basically I'm on my own. I thought there would be a higher level of customer service and interest in the failure.. I'm driving around with my 2 year old son and the caliper falls off, sorry for being upset. I just don't think they care and are more worried about selling as many brakes as possible. I also just found out they have zero warrant on any of their products. Not sure if that is the norm for brake companies?

Last edited:

PabloK

This coming from the guy that didn't know caster and toe need to be adjusted after installing a lift.

Why even be on the forums then? Is this not a place to share and learn? I've just been attacked from my first post... sorry don't know everything!

Top Bottom