Napalm's NEW 2014 Jeep JKU Sport Picture diary/Build thread!

Napalm

My old 2012 did about the same thing right after I picked it up after getting it re-geared. It started out driving ok then definately went into limp mode. Happened in Dallas traffic at a bad time of the day. Once I was able to pull over to a safe place I reprogrammed with the procal and all went back to normal.

You could also try disconnecting the battery for awhile.

I see. It doesn't seem like it's going into Limp mode, just because it's so quick. It's like the electronics go crazy for about 3 seconds and then it goes back to normal. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. Disconnected and reconnected the battery tonight so we will see how it drives in the morning.

On a side note, you have made the 1000th post in Onyx's build thread!

So here's a cake!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438571880.946320.jpg

Napalm

Talked with the service manager on the phone from Elder Dodge. She stated that it could be an issue caused by the PCM or wiring harness.

She said, it might seem small now but could become a major problem and asked me to bring it in in the morning.

My worry is.. Does a winch and/or off-road lights void my warranty?

mds22

Talked with the service manager on the phone from Elder Dodge. She stated that it could be an issue caused by the PCM or wiring harness.

She said, it might seem small now but could become a major problem and asked me to bring it in in the morning.

My worry is.. Does a winch and/or off-road lights void my warranty?

No but the Front coils might cause a problem if they want to be dicks

LasVegasJK

I wouldn't worry about the coils.
As long as you installed everything properly, you should be ok. Of course the individual dealer has discretion. And then it seems as though they would have to prove that your added equipment caused the issue.
This is just my thought.

Napalm

No but the Front coils might cause a problem if they want to be dicks

Surely not.. It's a small dealer that our family has been using for many years.

As long as you installed everything properly, you should be ok. Of course the individual dealer has discretion. And then it seems as though they would have to prove that your added equipment caused the issue.
This is just my thought.

That's true. If they do, I'll fight it.

mds22

This is just my thought.

I have found that it's not that they have to prove it caused the damage, it's YOU that has to prove it DID NOT cause the problem
Almost like guilty until proven innocent

LasVegasJK

If you've been giving that dealer business for years, then I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure they would rather keep your business and not have any bad reviews.

Napalm

I have found that it's not that they have to prove it caused the damage, it's YOU that has to prove it DID NOT cause the problem
Almost like guilty until proven innocent

I see. The only thing electrical wise I've done to Onyx is the Winch & lights. Those are just directly connected to the battery.

If you've been giving that dealer business for years, then I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure they would rather keep your business and not have any bad reviews.

Yes my in-laws have been using them for years. My father in law and the owner are pretty close friends.

DMF

Serious problem with Onyx tonight while driving home...

On my way home, I was at about 60, started to slow down, traction light came on and flashed and my speedometer went to zero and bumped straight back up.

Then, while slowing down again after making a right turn, Onyx lost all power, speedo went to zero and started boucing like crazy, and every single light on the dash started Flashing.

Have no idea what's going on. Check battery cables and ground wires and couldn't find a thing.

That happened to me. At first it was a quick flash, all the lights came on, speedo drop to zero and everything went back to normal. It did that a few times actually on a 400 mile trip I did. A few months later, I drove through some water that got my winch wet and my dash lit and stay lit like a Xmas tree. Since then I put a battery connector on my winch and isolated the problem. I now only plug my winch in when I need it.

tharb5111

Crazy. Keep us posted. I am very curious what this is. My jeep is a 2014 like yours and this kinda news makes me nervous. Good luck.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Did you put the connections for your winch on the stud with the cone shaped nut that tightens the battery cable on the terminal? I ask because thats what I did as a "temporary" hook up for the winch and as I have yet to fix it I get the random lighting up of the dash and the chime goes off etc. The nut gets loose a little bit and isnt making a good contact so it shuts things off. I plan on getting a different nut from the hardware store and putting the winch cable on the post that is directly behind the terminal clamp.

Something for you to check. :thumb:

mds22

I added this to my winch under my hood before the battery. As my DD there is no reason for my winch to be connected to a power source 24/7.

Napalm

Disconnected my battery and re hooked it up this morning. Drove around for a decent amount of time, not noticing any issues. Maybe it fixed itself!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438721922.458299.jpg

Napalm

I heard somewhere that Jeeps are able to fix themselves... I'm glad your issue is solved and that you're enjoying your Jeep!

Thank you! It's strange but I hope it did really fix itself.

I have a feeling its your wheels and tires - best solution, give them to me... ;)

Hah, I am actually quite happy with the set of wheels and tires. More so than I ever have been. These BFG AT KO2s have performed well so far in any terrain I have put them through!! So I will be keeping them :)

The new trim and rails look great!

Thank you! I think it looks good as well.. I HATED running without the rubi rails, just looked like something was missing.

But thanks guys :)

Top Bottom