Running 37s on a stock dana 30 axle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your thoughts. It can be hard to get good well thought out opinions on here and I appreciate your response.

I offer you my experiences - not "well though out opinions".

I may not ever go with 37" tires and there is a lot to consider when I do upgrade my tires. I'm not really interested in rock crawling, just mud, sand and wooded trails for me.

I am running 35's right now. What would be good to reinforce my d30? Gussets and what else? I think i saw a company selling something that you welded on top of the axle as well? Anyone else see this? Would it help?

With just 35's, chromoly shafts with full circle clips and c-gussets are about all you really need. For the type of trails you'll be running, you should be okay with 37's too but, if it were me, I would still stick with an R&P ratio no higher than 4.88 but, that's just me.

xflstl

Thanks for your thoughts. It can be hard to get good well thought out opinions on here and I appreciate your response.

I may not ever go with 37" tires and there is a lot to consider when I do upgrade my tires. I'm not really interested in rock crawling, just mud, sand and wooded trails for me.

I am running 35's right now. What would be good to reinforce my d30? Gussets and what else? I think i saw a company selling something that you welded on top of the axle as well? Anyone else see this? Would it help?

I think you are talking about a truss, yes they are a good idea as well. Also something to think about if you do decide to goto 37's, your steering and braking power will be reaching it's limits at 37" tires. You can do it without a doubt, but you will notice decreased braking power, and you will notice on trails and in sand/mud much harder turning. Since you have 35's already the difference might not shock you, I went from 33's to 37's and was like oh crap!!!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With what Eddie said here I can understand it. (Just using your comment, not commenting you perse)
With the R&P being the only real difference between a D44 and a D30, I will take my chances with the D30. A quality set of axles and a quality R&P will help the D30. Additional strengthening can be added if the user wishes. Also, most of the breaks I have heard of on this subject have mostly been the 5:13 ratio.

Actually, I think I did say that "shafts" are also different and most of the D30 breaks I have seen have been at the shafts.

It has also been said that the Pinion is small and the Ring is thin compared to a 4:88 lets say.

Actually, a 5.13 is a "thick" gear, just small in diameter and with a pinion that is really small. There are only about 1 and half teeth that actually make good contact with the ring gear.

I firmly believe the way the vehicle is driven also has a major factor in breaking stuff. Eddie breaking a Dana 60 probably wasn't from him and his wife running to the mall real quick to get a new pair of shoes. He wheels his Jeep smartly (most the time), but he is also traversing some big stuff.... Certainly not everyone wheels as hard as the next Jeeper.

Like I said, everyone has their own idea of what "wheeling hard" or "often" really is. As far as wheeling "smartly" goes, I'd like to think that I always try to wheel smartly and sometimes, different conditions just require different methods.

Everything about this axle debate is completely subjective and can be approached from many different angles.

The only thing that is subjective is in what others consider to be "wheeling hard". :yup:

The D30 is also cheaper to fix. A PR44 is pretty expensive for the average person to just go out and buy, then factor gears, axle shafts, lockers...etc. I think the D30 gives your average user a very good platform to learn how to use the vehicle off road and if a break occurs, they can fix it relatively cheap. It also allows a said user the time to save up for something larger if they so choose.

I'm all for playing with what you got until you break it or can afford to upgrade - that just makes sense. As far as "cheaper" goes, it still makes no sense to me to build up a D30 when you could just as easily save up and get something that won't be breaking on you in the first place. Of course, I've never seen where having money in your pocket gets you fixed up and off the trail. :crazyeyes:

The Outer sleeves are made by a couple companies. The one I am going to go with is made by RSE (www.rockslideengineering.com) Also you can run chromoly axles and a good ring and pinion. Stronger U-Joints for your axles will help as well. You can also run inner sleeves if you so desire. That prettye much cover what I can think of. I will actually be using everything I mentioned. I am going to be using the RSE outer sleeve kit, and the Artec armor kit from Northridge 4x4 on both axles. G2 R&P (4:88) & chromoly axle shafts. I will also be using an ARB in the D30 and most likely a Detroit out back in the D44. I will be RSE sleeving the rear D44 as well. it a lot I know, but it allows me to use what I have already and for a long time. I hope this helps a little bit.
Sorry for all of the misspellings too, yeesh. I am tired...lol

There are over 2 million JK's on the road today. I have personally seen 3 axle housing breaks and heard of only about a dozen others. Truth be told, axle housing breaks are very rare and are the exception, not the rule. Sleeves are totally unnecessary and outer sleeves even more so. But, that's just me.

just to add...the axle shafts in a D44 are also slightly larger and have a higher spline count, than a D30, which add strength. But running 35's and shorter gears I.E 4.88 or lower and you will obviously fair much better than the guys with 37's on 5.13's.

Thanks for the addition Chris. I was under the impression the axle shafts were the same as far as diameter. Good to know for when if I decide to jump up to the larger 37's and PR44.

What Chris said, the axle shafts on a D44 are bigger, have a higher spline count and have bigger u-joints. In a word, they are stronger than a D30 shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are talking about a truss, yes they are a good idea as well. Also something to think about if you do decide to goto 37's, your steering and braking power will be reaching it's limits at 37" tires. You can do it without a doubt, but you will notice decreased braking power, and you will notice on trails and in sand/mud much harder turning. Since you have 35's already the difference might not shock you, I went from 33's to 37's and was like oh crap!!!!!

I personally would not recommend a truss. I don't care how good the welder in question is, just about every single trussed axle I have seen is BENT due to it getting welded on.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
37's on a d30?

Awesome! Thanks for ripping the entire guts out of my post Eddie. Much appreciated.

Lock Down or Get Locked Up

Philip *AZ*

Banned
37's on a d30?

Actually, no Im not. I can see why people post short pointless replys. Everything in that post makes sense if you are looking at it from a different view other than yours. Yes, I understand that you have been doing Jeeps for a very long time. It does however seem that if someone has a different opinion other than the most popular one they are made to look inferior. Not everyone has large amounts of money to throw at their rigs. Some must use what they have. That does not give you the right to discredit their valuable opinion. It may seem dumb to you to build a certain part a certain way, but to the next guy it might be the chance they were lookin for to get out and enjoy the vehicle they built not bought. This is not the first post you have done this either, which is why I am voicing now. Im am tired of being trampled on because of my views and opinions. Its crap dude. There are many people here that value your opinion, but maybe you should think about other's views and opinions before you make them feel stupid. What you did to my reply did nothing but that. Im sorry I even posted that reply its clearly obvious you needed to hammer something with your morning coffee.

MTG

Caught the Bug
37's on a d30?

Is today sad Sunday? Seems like a lot of whining going on lately. :idontknow:

Wheel what you want/got. If it breaks fix/replace it. I don't think anyone can argue with those points, but it's Al Gore's internet so I'm sure somebody will. :crazyeyes:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
37's on a d30?

Is today sad Sunday? Seems like a lot of whining going on lately. :idontknow:

Wheel what you want/got. If it breaks fix/replace it. I don't think anyone can argue with those points, but it's Al Gore's internet so I'm sure somebody will. :crazyeyes:

Isnt that the pot callin the kettle black.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, no Im not. I can see why people post short pointless replys. Everything in that post makes sense if you are looking at it from a different view other than yours. Yes, I understand that you have been doing Jeeps for a very long time. It does however seem that if someone has a different opinion other than the most popular one they are made to look inferior. Not everyone has large amounts of money to throw at their rigs. Some must use what they have. That does not give you the right to discredit their valuable opinion. It may seem dumb to you to build a certain part a certain way, but to the next guy it might be the chance they were lookin for to get out and enjoy the vehicle they built not bought. This is not the first post you have done this either, which is why I am voicing now. Im am tired of being trampled on because of my views and opinions. Its crap dude. There are many people here that value your opinion, but maybe you should think about other's views and opinions before you make them feel stupid. What you did to my reply did nothing but that. Im sorry I even posted that reply its clearly obvious you needed to hammer something with your morning coffee.

Wow. I really am sorry that you were so offended by my response as it was not my intent to offend you. In all honesty, I wasn't trying to make you "look inferior" or make you "feel stupid" but rather, just correct some of the things you said with accurate information, share some of my experiences and even offer up an opinion or two of my own. Peace

Philip *AZ*

Banned
37's on a d30?

Wow. I really am sorry that you were so offended by my response as it was not my intent to offend you. In all honesty, I wasn't trying to make you "look inferior" or make you "feel stupid" but rather, just correct some of the things you said with accurate information, share some of my experiences and even offer up an opinion or two of my own. Peace

Appology accepted. Im sorry I kinda blew a gasket too. Like I have told you many times, I greatly respect your opinion, but at times it seems like some cant voice theirs. Peace to you too man.!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Appology accepted. Im sorry I kinda blew a gasket too. Like I have told you many times, I greatly respect your opinion, but at times it seems like some cant voice theirs. Peace to you too man.!

It's all good and hope you can see that while I may not always agree with the opinions posted here on this forum, nobody is preventing them from being voiced.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Serg5000

I must say that is the reason I choose to post my stupid questions here. I always get an honest answer base on experience. I appreciate the honesty from the members of this forum.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
37's on a d30?

Step 1: Go back to bed.
Step 2: Get up on other side.

:thumb:

:cheesy:

Step 3: Continue mocking.
Thats exactly what I am talkin about.. I too appreciate honesty, but there are other ways of doing it. But thanks for your views and opinions MTG.. :)

MTG

Caught the Bug
Step 3: Continue mocking.
Thats exactly what I am talkin about.. I too appreciate honesty, but there are other ways of doing it. But thanks for your views and opinions MTG.. :)

LOL!

You're welcome! ;)

Nobody is mocking you. Just trying to add a little levity to the situation. Seriously, some people need to relax a little...not saying you are one of them. Thought you could take a little ribbing. Guess not. :grayno:

A thousand apologies to you.

Top Bottom