RUSTY : 1972 Jeep J2000 Pick-Up Truck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right on!! Just got our brand new, re-printed volumes of the 1962-73 J-Series parts catalog. While you can't really order these parts anymore, the exploded diagrams are super helpful and make identifying what we need a lot easier. :yup:

IMG_7438[1].jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Took a while to get in and it may not be the prettiest thing in the world but, when pickings are slim, you gotta go with what you can get your hands on. Time to replace the old factory steel tank with a big crack in it with something new and made out of plastic...

IMG_7758.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Took a while to get in and it may not be the prettiest thing in the world but, when pickings are slim, you gotta go with what you can get your hands on. Time to replace the old factory steel tank with a big crack in it with something new and made out of plastic...

View attachment 81497

Weight saver!! Lol. I hope your sending unit matches the ohms of your gauge. I'm having a tough time getting mine to match up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Weight saver!! Lol. I hope your sending unit matches the ohms of your gauge. I'm having a tough time getting mine to match up.

Now that you mention it, previous owner had it hooked up to an aftermarket gauge and even had another one installed like he was in the process of using it instead. Are you using resistors to help correct things?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Now that you mention it, previous owner had it hooked up to an aftermarket gauge and even had another one installed like he was in the process of using it instead. Are you using resistors to help correct things?

I add 5 gallons of gas every other time I drive it.. Lol

Honestly I'm at a loss of how to make the gauge match the sending unit..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I add 5 gallons of gas every other time I drive it.. Lol

Honestly I'm at a loss of how to make the gauge match the sending unit..

LOL!! I had been doing the same thing. In fact, it was all I could put in before gas started spilling out of the crack and being that the gauge doesn't work, I don't know how much gas I really have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately, the existing factory tank came out without too much fuss...
IMG_7868.jpg

Trying to salvage the old EVAP canister and make it work with fewer ports...
IMG_7869.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly, this Jeep was made before the advent of skid plates! It's hard to imagine this one beat up strap is the only thing holding the gas tank in place :crazyeyes:

IMG_7886.jpg

As mentioned, the previous owner installed a set of gauges and I spent some time getting them to all work including the fuel gauge which seems to be reading correctly...

IMG_7879.jpg

:rock:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Clearly, this Jeep was made before the advent of skid plates! It's hard to imagine this one beat up strap is the only thing holding the gas tank in place :crazyeyes:

View attachment 81583

As mentioned, the previous owner installed a set of gauges and I spent some time getting them to all work including the fuel gauge which seems to be reading correctly...

View attachment 81582

:rock:

Nice work! You planning to add another strap or replace that one or is it still good?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work! You planning to add another strap or replace that one or is it still good?

It's all beat up but still works. I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement so I may try making one some time. I don't really plan on off-roading this thing but if that ever changes, I would probably have to make some kind of skid for it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As most of you know, when we bought Rusty, he was missing most of the original emblems on the passenger side. It took me a while to find replacements and the time to get them installed but, voilà - looking more complete again :yup:

IMG_7888.jpg

IMG_7894.jpg

IMG_7895.jpg

GCM 2

WooHoo!! Finally got some new window whiskers installed - no more window rattle :thumb:

/\/\/\ these are the little things most people overlook when refreshing/restoring a daily driver level of vehicle, but its what makes it seem solid and gives it the "off the dealer's floor" kind of feel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Spent some time cleaning up the engine. Still got a years of grease I need to scrub clean but, it's a first pass. May have to find a steam cleaner to get it good but, at least you can now see the orange/red of the valve covers. :D

IMG_7901.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Spent some time cleaning up the engine. Still got a years of grease I need to scrub clean but, it's a first pass. May have to find a steam cleaner to get it good but, at least you can now see the orange/red of the valve covers. :D

View attachment 82764

What did you use on it? I used to use simple green back home when we would clean up old cars and it seemed to work pretty well if we let it soak for a little bit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What did you use on it? I used to use simple green back home when we would clean up old cars and it seemed to work pretty well if we let it soak for a little bit.

I used Purple Power. It's pretty toxic stuff and can be bad for paint and I typically just use it for the underside of a Jeep but, Simple Green wasn't enough to cut through the greasy mess under the hood. After a few passes with the Purple Power, I came back with some Simple Green to finish things up. I still need to work on the underside but, it's a lot better.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I used Purple Power. It's pretty toxic stuff and can be bad for paint and I typically just use it for the underside of a Jeep but, Simple Green wasn't enough to cut through the greasy mess under the hood. After a few passes with the Purple Power, I came back with some Simple Green to finish things up. I still need to work on the underside but, it's a lot better.

Gotcha. At least there isn't any rust. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha. At least there isn't any rust. :D

Gotta love rigs out in the west - this thing is surprisingly rust free. I mean, there's a little here and there but really, not a whole lot of anything considering it's over 40 years old. The 2007 JK I bought from my friend Ken that became VENGEANCE had a ton more rust on it :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Gotta love rigs out in the west - this thing is surprisingly rust free. I mean, there's a little here and there but really, not a whole lot of anything considering it's over 40 years old. The 2007 JK I bought from my friend Ken that became VENGEANCE had a ton more rust on it :crazyeyes:

Being that I lived 3 hours from where Ken lived I know all to well. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom