Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
All depends on your temps. If it stalls out you can wrap it to make sure it’s ready in time. If you have time to wait just let it go. Being a flat only you may not see the stall. Just a water pan is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Awesome thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on that 150 mark and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. Any tips on hold times or techniques?

SDG

Caught the Bug
Awesome thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on that 150 mark and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. Any tips on hold times or techniques?

The more meat the longer it will hold.

After reaching desired temp wrap it double thick in foil. Put a beach towel or bath towel in an empty dry igloo type cooler. Put the brisket on the towel, put a 2nd towel on top and tuck it in like a baby. Shut the lid to the cooler and just let it sit. It should hold 2 or 3 hours easy. When I did a 22lb brisket it got done early and held for 6 hours like this. Was still steaming when the foil was opened.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The more meat the longer it will hold.

After reaching desired temp wrap it double thick in foil. Put a beach towel or bath towel in an empty dry igloo type cooler. Put the brisket on the towel, put a 2nd towel on top and tuck it in like a baby. Shut the lid to the cooler and just let it sit. It should hold 2 or 3 hours easy. When I did a 22lb brisket it got done early and held for 6 hours like this. Was still steaming when the foil was opened.

I prefer butcher paper to foil for a crispier bark. That is if you can find butcher paper. I have to ask the butcher at stater bros to cut me off a 10 foot section.

JAGS

Hooked
I prefer butcher paper to foil for a crispier bark. That is if you can find butcher paper. I have to ask the butcher at stater bros to cut me off a 10 foot section.

Side note. If your are ever in the mood for a good butcher not at a grocery, check out hottingers meat market. It's off of central not too far from you. Been around for decades. One of the only local places I can find hangar steaks amongst other things.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Side note. If your are ever in the mood for a good butcher not at a grocery, check out hottingers meat market. It's off of central not too far from you. Been around for decades. One of the only local places I can find hangar steaks amongst other things.

I go there rather often.

WJCO

Meme King
Well it's stalled out at 199 so I made the call to pull it let it sit and I think we turned out ok!!!!

Looks great. Temp seems right too. I've found that as you use your smoker more, your experience will really show you what works and what doesn't. You'll kind of learn as you go.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Smoking turkey question...

Who is smoking their Thanksgiving Day turkey?

To free up some oven space, I am thinking about smoking ours. We do whole chickens all the time, but never a turkey.

To brine or not to brine? That is the question.

I've never brined a turkey (when roasting it) and I don't really feel like starting now. I've read both on the internet...how can they both be true? :thinking:

What say you ol' purveyors of smoked deliciousness?

Top Bottom