WAYALIFE EPIC TREX : Destination MOAB 2015

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Warranty Work follow-up

Part 2 of the engine oil consumption dilemma.

I just got the word back from the dealership that they will NOT be doing any warranty work on the Jeep.

Quote: Checked for oil consumption- verified using oil. Inspect engine with Chrysler tech advisor. Found engine dust out condition. Found dirt and mud in intake hose going into throttle body. Damaged rings due to dirt in engine. Declined warranty engine repairs per factory service rep.

They are recommending a long block engine replacement.

This is seriously effecting my ability to finish the California or Bust part 2 that is coming up (not to mention my wallet).

Any ideas out there to help a fellow out?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I just got the word back from the dealership that they will NOT be doing any warranty work on the Jeep.

Quote: Checked for oil consumption- verified using oil. Inspect engine with Chrysler tech advisor. Found engine dust out condition. Found dirt and mud in intake hose going into throttle body. Damaged rings due to dirt in engine. Declined warranty engine repairs per factory service rep.

This is seriously effecting my ability to finish the California or Bust part 2 that is coming up (not to mention my wallet).

That sucks!

From what I have seen I wouldn't replace the long block. Chris did that with no luck. Pretty sure crippledpetey will have the same issue. I would call turn key in Oceanside and see if they have a 3.6 and just put a new motor in when that one shits out. Probably a $5000 endeavor all said and done. Russ did his and hasn't had much trouble since.

Pretty shitty that Chrysler won't warranty any of these. Seems there is an issue with the intake not the people who own the jeeps.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
They did replace the long block on mine under warranty.

These factory air boxes are shit. Since the replacement I've taken the intake tube off at every oil change to clean it. It's always filthy. I haven't really done anything that bad to warranty it being that dirty either.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

That sucks Tom. Might wanna contact Evo, trail jeeps or anyone that does engine swaps. I'm sure someone has a low mileage engine. I wish I had the garage. I'd help you do the swap.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

I did see this website here in NC. They take out slightly used engines and put in Hemi's, etc. Don't know it it would help.
http://www.rubitrux.com/jeep-wrangler-3-6l-pentastar-engine-used.html

So sorry :( did you get the photos from the inspectors by chance? I know in the state of CA they have to prove without a doubt that caused it. I'm just wondering if you can have another tech somewhere else look to see if they can find anything that debunks their claim. How many miles are on the jeep?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That is just ridiculous!! I am so sorry to hear Chrysler is taking this stance with you. At this point and time, I would have to agree with what Adam recommended and that's to try and see if you can get your hands on a used 3.6L motor from someplace like Motech or Turnkey. Unless your dealership is going to give you a heck of a deal on the long block, this will be your best bet.

JeepFan

Hooked

It really does suck that Chrysler has denied you warranty assistance on this issue. :mad:

Here's what I would do. Hold off on buying a new motor! Buy 1 16 oz and 1 32 oz bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Add the 32 oz bottle to a full tank of gas. Change the engine oil and filter with 5.5 qts of pennzoil high mileage 5w20 and the 16oz bottle of MMO. Check the oil level after 250/500 miles and record the level. If the oil and compression rings are gummed up, MMO will help alleviate this condition and reduce or eliminate oil consumption. If there is no change in oil consumption, there could be a more serious problem.

It's worth a try in IMHO. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
It really does suck that Chrysler has denied you warranty assistance on this issue. :mad:

Here's what I would do. Hold off on buying a new motor! Buy 1 16 oz and 1 32 oz bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Add the 32 oz bottle to a full tank of gas. Change the engine oil and filter with 5.5 qts of pennzoil high mileage 5w20 and the 16oz bottle of MMO. Check the oil level after 250/500 miles and record the level. If the oil and compression rings are gummed up, MMO will help alleviate this condition and reduce or eliminate oil consumption. If there is no change in oil consumption, there could be a more serious problem.

It's worth a try in IMHO. :yup:

MMO worked wonders in an old Audi that I owned. :thumb:

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I think I will be getting the Jeep from the dealership tomorrow.

I will try the oil additive plan first. Then I will try to see what Off Road Evolution has to say. If it looks like I will need another motor, I will try suggestions for finding replacements.

I will also update my personal info. I apologize for not updating my info after getting the new Jeep. I'm not the most savvy guy on the net. Hence, no avatar. :blush:

Top Bottom