PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Rug under the Floor mats on a JK

jorgelrod
01-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Has anyone done a write up or know of one for removing the rungs that come below the JK molded floor mats, ever since I got water inside my JK on a flooded street crossing I've been wondering about this but seeing as how the Floor mat tabs that hold them from moving are attached to these I want to look into this before I just go all rug knife crazy on it and start cutting.

Jorge

wayoflife
01-17-2014, 08:08 PM
It's really not that hard. Just start lifting from the edge of the doors and unscrew or release the tabs as needed. You will need to remove your seats to do all this. I personally would pull it and clean it thoroughly while it's off with something like a steam cleaner and then reinstall it. The factory carpet is also a heat shield and without it, you will find the interior of your Jeep, especially under foot to be very hot. Just my 2

jorgelrod
01-17-2014, 08:12 PM
That makes a lot of sense, I found the material to be quite shitty for a carpet but it makes a ton of sense as a heat shield... I used a steamer to clean it at the time but seeing as how I play a lot in mud and water I was thinking about whether it might be a good idea to take it out, guess not.

Thanks for the info...

Jorge

cozdude
01-17-2014, 08:13 PM
i ahve done this in my jeep. i got caught with my pants down a few times and the rain kinda killed me. in the fall i pulled my carpets (left the seats in) and hand scrubbed them clean! i can see myself doing this every fall or rhino line it for the summer and put the carpet in for the winter time.

either way here is a pic of where i cut my carpet so i could slide it out without removing the seats. its so small that you would never know.

jorgelrod
01-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks, the pics help a ton, I plan to take a look at this when I get back home, currently out of the country working...

Jorge

OverlanderJK
01-17-2014, 08:19 PM
I pulled my seats and carpet a few weeks back. Not that much harder to pull the seats.

AllAmericanInfidel
01-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Interesting, on my 2013 there were slits already cut into the carpet. To remove them, I just gave a pull around the edges and it all started coming out. The carpet was already pre cut to remove without removing the seats. Front foot wells are one piece per side, then the rear foot wells are 1 piece. Nobody else's is like that? Dealership told me it was the way the JK comes with 'easily removable carpet'.

KJ_CJtoJK
01-18-2014, 04:31 AM
Interesting, on my 2013 there were slits already cut into the carpet. To remove them, I just gave a pull around the edges and it all started coming out. The carpet was already pre cut to remove without removing the seats. Front foot wells are one piece per side, then the rear foot wells are 1 piece. Nobody else's is like that? Dealership told me it was the way the JK comes with 'easily removable carpet'.

On my 2012 2-door, I remove the carpet in the summer (with the top off) and re-install it in the winter. I do not need to remove the seats, there are slits already in the carpets around the seat frames (you do need to remove the rear seat). It has been designed to be quickly removed and replaced without having to remove any bolts or screws.

bnatt78
01-18-2014, 06:43 AM
I have a question, I have heard a lot of people doing what I think is called rhino lynning. Would that do anything for heat or cold that comes from the floor? The other thing I heard is some one putting the rubber Matt in, the type you have seen in work trucks. Can some one give me some info if any one has done this on there JK. The only reason I was thinking for mine what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay
01-18-2014, 03:10 PM
I have a question, I have heard a lot of people doing what I think is called rhino lynning. Would that do anything for heat or cold that comes from the floor? The other thing I heard is some one putting the rubber Matt in, the type you have seen in work trucks. Can some one give me some info if any one has done this on there JK. The only reason I was thinking for mine what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've seen a product advertised on TV called Lizard Skin. I have never used it so I can't recommend it, but it may be worth a try. They say it serves as a good temperature insulation and sound deadening material. Doesn't look as rough as rhino lining since it's not technically a bed liner.

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 03:42 PM
It's really not that hard. Just start lifting from the edge of the doors and unscrew or release the tabs as needed. You will need to remove your seats to do all this. I personally would pull it and clean it thoroughly while it's off with something like a steam cleaner and then reinstall it. The factory carpet is also a heat shield and without it, you will find the interior of your Jeep, especially under foot to be very hot. Just my 2

Unless you drive barefoot you won't notice the heat change or at least it didn't. I live in Dallas and maybe its so hot outside that I can't tell. I will ultimately Line X my tub this spring.

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Unless you drive barefoot you won't notice the heat change or at least it didn't. I live in Dallas and maybe its so hot outside that I can't tell. I will ultimately Line X my tub this spring.

LOL!! Yeah, Jeep just wanted to jack up the price of their JK and added heat shielding under their carpet for no good reason. If you don't notice the added heat, more power to you. While I do drive with sandals on a regular basis, I just didn't like how the whole cabin of the Jeep heated up with the doors on. Is it so bad that it's unbearable? No. Just noticeable enough that I thought it was worth mentioning. To each their own.

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Like you, I was giving my opinion on how it doesn't change the interior enough for me to notice. I never wear sandals so I don't notice it.

That's right, you only have one Jeep. Try driving in one that has carpeting and then one without - both with doors and top on. Do it and tell me that you honestly don't notice the difference. You don't just feel it at your feet, you feel it in the entire cabin. Now, for you to say that it doesn't bother you, that's a different story.

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
That's right, you only have one Jeep. Try driving in one that has carpeting and then one without - both with doors and top on. Do it and tell that you don't notice the difference. You don't just feel it at your feet, you feel it in the entire cabin. Now, for you to say that it doesn't bother you, that's a different story.

Glad to hear it, I hope you do still keep an eye on it just in case though - for the sake of everyone behind you if no one else. The guy who started the new thread had it installed exactly as you kept on saying it needed to be and it still broke. Just sayin.

I drove the Jeep for awhile with carpet and the day I pulled it out, I didn't feel a noticeable change. Don't you have AC??

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 04:10 PM
I drove the Jeep for awhile with carpet and the day I pulled it out, I didn't feel a noticeable change. Don't you have AC??

LOL!! You'll forgive me but, you wouldn't need to run your AC if it weren't so hot in your Jeep - just sayin :crazyeyes:

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 04:11 PM
LOL!! You'll forgive me but, you wouldn't need to run your AC if it weren't so hot in your Jeep - just sayin :crazyeyes:

That's bullshit!! I live in Texas. I run my AC in winter sometimes. I don't run it because of no carpet but because it is hotter than hell in Dallas.

JayKay
01-18-2014, 04:14 PM

I don't know about you guys down south and in SoCal, but here in MO, I have a hard time keeping the inside of my jeep cool in the summer with the A/C on high and the carpet in. The carpet has to be there for insulation, even if it's not much different. I'll be leaving mine in unless I plan on fording a river. Every little bit helps

LoPo
01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
The factory carpet is also a heat shield and without it, you will find the interior of your Jeep, especially under foot to be very hot. Just my 2

Huh didn't know that. Makes me rethink pulling it out and rhino lining as a future mod. I hate the heat and run my AC all summer already.

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 04:36 PM
That's bullshit!! I live in Texas. I run my AC in winter sometimes. I don't run it because of no carpet but because it is hotter than hell in Dallas.

:cheesy: I realize that you're from Texas and are proud of it but it doesn't mean that the heat is actually hotter there. I mean, I know it gets hot there but, if you do any traveling, you would find that it's hot in a lot of places.

I don't know about you guys down south and in SoCal, but here in MO, I have a hard time keeping the inside of my jeep cool in the summer with the A/C on high and the carpet in. The carpet has to be there for insulation, even if it's not much different. I'll be leaving mine in unless I plan on fording a river. Every little bit helps

Well, SoCal is a big desert. Same is true of Arizona and Nevada. I spend a lot of time wheeling in all these states and like you, trying to keep cool is important to me. I've forded rivers and have had to pull my carpet out but, have always put it back in after I got it cleaned and allowed it to dry out completely. But hey, that's just me.

Huh didn't know that. Makes me rethink pulling it out and rhino lining as a future mod. I hate the heat and run my AC all summer already.

It's a neat idea and something I had done on my old CJ and, some guys are cool with the added heat but, to suggest that there isn't a noticeable change without the carpeting is just silly to me.

piginajeep
01-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Maybe it's me getting old, but it gets noise level increases dramatically with the carpet out.

piginajeep
01-18-2014, 04:42 PM
:cheesy: I realize that you're from Texas and are proud of it but it doesn't mean that the heat is actually hotter there. I mean, I know it gets hot there but, if you do any traveling, you would find that it's hot in a lot of places.

Well, SoCal is a big desert. Same is true of Arizona and Nevada. I spend a lot of time wheeling in all these states and like you, trying to keep cool is important to me. I've forded rivers and have had to pull my carpet out but, have always put it back in after I got it cleaned and allowed it to dry out completely. But hey, that's just me.

It's a neat idea and something I had done on my old CJ and, some guys are cool with the added heat but, to suggest that there isn't a noticeable change without the carpeting is just silly to me.

Bakersfield hits 100 all summer long but it's a dry heat.

wayoflife
Maybe it's me getting old, but it gets noise level increases dramatically with the carpet out.

:cheesy: You're right, totally forgot about the noise reductions carpeting provides too. Thanks for pointing that out :D

jorgelrod
My 2014's rug is sectioned as well like the 2013 but it has some stitches to between each section to kinda keep it together, After I get back I'll do a temperature comparison and see if they stay on or off...

Jorge

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 04:43 PM

You ever drive through Texas? It's like Bakersfield as far as the eye can see. It gets hot there but no different than Bakersfield.

piginajeep
01-18-2014, 04:47 PM
You ever drive through Texas? It's like Bakersfield as far as the eye can see. It gets hot there but no different than Bakersfield.

I was being a smartass, it's fucking hot. I don't even put the top down when it's over 100.

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I was being a smartass, it's fucking hot. I don't even put the top down when it's over 100.

LOL!! And so was I.

OverlanderJK
01-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Lol! I love the "dry heat" comment. Like it matters when it's that hot. :cheesy:

JayKay
01-18-2014, 04:55 PM

Agreed, hot is hot, cold is cold. We saw record lows here last week, -16, coldest it's been since the late '80s. I came to the conclusion that once it gets below 0, I can't tell the difference, it's Fing cold. As far as heat goes, the top is closed above 100 for sure .

JayKay
01-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Lol! I love the "dry heat" comment. Like it matters when it's that hot. :cheesy:

I hate hearing that excuse also. Here in MO, anything above 90 is considered hot, I think the humidity just makes you sweat more.

piginajeep
01-18-2014, 05:03 PM

I hear that all the time from my east coast friends. It's not hot where you live, it's a dry heat.

JayKay
01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
I hear that all the time from my east coast friends. It's not hot where you live, it's a dry heat.

I guess in the Midwest and east coast we have wet heat?

OverlanderJK
01-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Same here. It's the damn east coasters.

"Let's go to vegas in July"
"It's 120 degrees"
"Yeah but it's a dry heat"

:cheesy:

cozdude
01-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Same here. It's the damn east coasters.

"Let's go to vegas in July"
"It's 120 degrees"
"Yeah but it's a dry heat"

Haha! I will take a 120* dry heat over a 95* day with a high humidity!

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Sent from my iPhone

95? Man, I start to wither at 70 and high humidity :blush:

Spartan
01-18-2014, 05:40 PM
I could of missed it, but I don't see anyone saying anything about either style of Bed Rugs. I have never used it, but it's something that you could look into instead or Rhino Lining your Jeep.

OverlanderJK
01-18-2014, 05:44 PM
I could of missed it, but I don't see anyone saying anything about either style of Bed Rugs. I have never used it, but it's something that you could look into instead or Rhino Lining your Jeep.

I've had bed rugs in my old trucks and while I loved them, why would you get rid of your carpet to put in another carpet?

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 05:45 PM
I hate hearing that excuse also. Here in MO, anything above 90 is considered hot, I think the humidity just makes you sweat more.

I'll take 110 dry heat over 110 with humidity any day. And it does make a difference.

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 05:46 PM
I've had bed rugs in my old trucks and while I loved them, why would you get rid of your carpet to put in another carpet?

My main reason for getting rid of the carpet was I have an Australian Shepard and he sheds a ton.

piginajeep
01-18-2014, 05:47 PM

Sent from my iPhone

Yep, east coast talk..... No you would not.

piginajeep
01-18-2014, 05:49 PM
My main reason for getting rid of the carpet was I have an Australian Shepard and he sheds a ton.

I have three Huskys. I feel your pain. Wet sponge makes the job easier.

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 05:49 PM
I have three Huskys. I feel your pain. Wet sponge makes the job easier.

Way too lazy for that hence no carpet, but I will try that on my front seats or just get some Trek Armor covers like I have in the rear.

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 05:51 PM

And there's nothing wrong with you wanting to do something and you being okay with it. But, that's a far cry from telling others that "you won't notice the heat change". I suppose you're okay with the added noise too or, are you going to suggest that you won't notice it? :naw:

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 05:52 PM
And there's nothing wrong with you wanting to do something and you being okay with it. But, that's a far cry from telling others that "you won't notice the heat change". I suppose you're okay with the added noise too or, are you going to suggest that you won't notice it? :naw:

I didn't notice a change at all. Some of you sissies might!!

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 05:53 PM
I didn't notice a change at all. Some of you sissies might!!

Sorry, not all of us can be as much of a badass as you. :cheesy:

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Sorry, not all of us can be as much of a badass as you. :cheesy:

Exactly!!!! Then again I don't wear mandals!!

Spartan
01-18-2014, 05:55 PM

BedRug makes something called BedTred. They say it looks like spray on bed liner and is waterproof, but unlike the spray on/roll on bed liners it can be removed cleaned and replaced.

DallasJKU
01-18-2014, 06:04 PM
BedRug makes something called BedTred. They say it looks like spray on bed liner and is waterproof, but unlike the spray on/roll on bed liners it can be removed cleaned and replaced.

Now that might be interesting!!

wayoflife
01-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Driving in your Jeep, I wouldn't either. ;)

Benito
01-19-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm thinking about coating my tub with lizardskin heat insulation and sound dampening coatings and leaving my carpets in as well. And as for heat in the summer I have noticed riding in a jk with a black hard top the cab is a bit warmer than my jeep with the body colored top and my jeep is pretty dark as well, commando green, so I can only imagine an all white jeep would be extremely cooler than a blacktop jeep.

StrizzyChris
01-19-2014, 01:10 AM

I am 20 years certified in Mandal wearing from the institute of hot and cold tootsies...so I feel I am more than qualified to speak on this topic. In both 0* Lake Erie/Cleveland winters, and in 95* with 85%+ humidity summers, with and without tops and doors on, with and without carpet in 2 different Wranglers I am here to tell you....IT MAKES ONE HELL OF A DIFFERENCE!

Just as mentioned, Heat leaches into the cabin frying your feet and generally cooking you in the summers, heat retention in the winters can be felt sucking the heat right out of your boots, and road noise is compounded terribly! I don't feel like being a man in your manly Jeep requires you to be uncomfortable every single damn day you drive your vehicle....Ive never understood that logic? If that's the case I would gladly take your power tools and give you my grandfathers old drill that I have hanging on my wall as an antique to help you complete the transformation to the biggest bad ass ever!

Cajun JK
01-19-2014, 01:39 AM
I took the carpet out of my old TJ and did the spray in Bedliner and the floor was hotter even with the Bedliner. But everybody is different.

Armydog
01-19-2014, 03:19 AM

My pumpkin had the carpet removed and a brush on Bed liner applied ( not well mind you) by the previous owner. I like the concept, but need to reapply the coating to cover what I consider to be mistakes... I have noticed that the floor pans do get very hot. I think a heat shield and sound barrier would be a good idea, but do not want to go back to stock carpet.

Has anyone used the BedRug BedTred product? They claim it helps with heat and sound. I've also seen a brush on two part product on quadratec that makes similar claims.... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

UncensoredAggression
01-19-2014, 03:32 AM
I prefer my women without carpet. Just saying. :D

Sent while sitting on the crapper.

MTG
01-19-2014, 03:35 AM
I prefer my women without carpet. Just saying. :D

You mean shaved right? I don't want to have to call you UnderagedAggression?

UncensoredAggression
01-19-2014, 03:37 AM
You mean shaved right? I don't want to have to call you UnderagedAggression?

Right! No chomo here!

Sent while sitting on the crapper.

steve_r2
01-19-2014, 03:53 AM
If anyone is interested you can come out here for the summer....its only 55 c (134 F) with 80+ humidity...... mandals, A/C, carpet in, doors on, roof lining on...anyone ? anyone ? ;)

jeeeep
01-19-2014, 05:12 AM
I'm either getting too old or becoming more of a pussy lol, I tried to run with the carpet out for a summer and it sucked, noise and heat. I put the hardtop back on, it helped a little but once on the road for long periods of time with no carpet...nahhhh

I tried to find the pics I took of the heat measurements before and after the carpet - very similar hot August days and I recall a big difference, that's also the same summer I installed the Hot Heads and was checking them to see if what I felt really was a difference - it was.

My buddy rhino lined his floor , he used black- don't use black Rhino Lining and then leave it out in the sun with the top off! He has a soft-top and surprisingly it did help cut road noise but the heat it collected with the top off wow! He was going to put the carpet back in but not sure if he has.

AllAmericanInfidel
01-20-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm from AZ. Grew up wheeling in the deserts in Yuma, Lake Havasu, Quartzsite and Parker. I have also lived in El Paso TX, Harker Heights TX, and NM. I now live in SC. It gets hot in all those places. A lot of people think its worse where its humid but honestly, I don't see a lot of difference. Hot is hot, but neither bothers me because I like the heat. The cold is where my vag starts getting sand in it. I have rolled with the carpet out and floor liners in since I have had the JK, but I don't really notice any difference in heat or noise because I have yet to turn on the AC, have the doors off all summer, and its still way more quiet than the CJ I used to drive down I10 for 62 miles a day!

AllAmericanInfidel
01-20-2014, 06:23 PM
My buddy rhino lined his floor , he used black- don't use black Rhino Lining and then leave it out in the sun with the top off! He has a soft-top and surprisingly it did help cut road noise but the heat it collected with the top off wow! He was going to put the carpet back in but not sure if he has.

This is a good point. I had carpet in my CJ and decided to have it Rhino Lined. The carpet provided way more sound insulation, and it was a noticeable difference with the heat. Once it was out in the sun for a few months, it started to fade badly and I could never keep it clean. I would hose it out, scrub it etc and it would always look dirty. I ended up having a light coat reapplied because of the fading and it just faded again within half a year.

rodgerdathug
01-22-2014, 01:52 AM
:cheesy: You're right, totally forgot about the noise reductions carpeting provides too. Thanks for pointing that out :D

The noise reduction the only reason why I haven't pulled mine out. The heat I will say this carpet or No carpet I know hard tops love the sun light and it like a sauna in mine here in ky

Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

mtnbiker995
01-22-2014, 02:16 AM
I'm in and out of my Jeep enough in the rain/snow/dirt that my carpets got very moldy so I pulled them and just use quadratec rubber floor mats

American outlaw
01-22-2014, 02:41 AM
Everyone's talking about AC lol what's AC. I roll with the top and doors off most of the time. There has been a few times i have regretted not getting it. Mainly because of my girlfriend complaining.

mtnbiker995
01-22-2014, 03:40 AM
Everyone's talking about AC lol what's AC. I roll with the top and doors off most of the time. There has been a few times i have regretted not getting it. Mainly because of my girlfriend complaining.

I don't have it either. . .I put a hole in my A.C. condenser and can't justify my A.C. being worth the $115 for a new condenser

Jeepmaverick
01-22-2014, 04:52 AM
I've had my carpet out almost 2 years now in my JKU. Pulled it in summer and didn't mind the noise with top and doors off and it's hot anyway. mid winter I noticed the sound more so I sprayed some bedliner I had laying around and it did ok. Wanted it to be better so I sanded out the bedliner and sprayed 2 layers of "iron armor professional rubberized undercoating" and it is amazing what that stuff does. There's less noise than when I had the carpet in and can't feel the heat at all. I just recently got an itch to mess with the jeep and sprayed the inside of all the doors with it in black. I was tired of so much silver everywhere and wanted a more uniform look. I can hardly hear my Mickey Thompson claws at 70mph now! It's 5.50 a can a harbor freight and has a nice flat black look and texture. Oh and I live in Texas and experience 120-single digit temperatures and it works for all degrees so were all covered:thumb:
Just a thought for those of you open to noise/heat reduction ideas. Also there's a silver JKU on the can :)

USMMA11NC
02-09-2016, 10:40 PM
If anyone is interested you can come out here for the summer....its only 55 c (134 F) with 80+ humidity...... mandals, A/C, carpet in, doors on, roof lining on...anyone ? anyone ? ;)

Where the fuc..... *looks at location* ah, I know your pain. Transiting the Gulf of Aden and sailing to Dubai (well... Jebel Ali, quick taxi ride to Dubai) was hot as hell (and that was winter). Hahah

RMC2
02-10-2016, 03:59 AM
110 dry heat is hot

80 and humid is miserable. I break out in a sweat when it is 60 here. Hell i was sweating at 30 the other morning but that may be exertion.

I will take the dry heat. And yes I know the difference.

I also know 151 and dry heat (and being shot at). We used sand bags instead of carpet and doors off. Noisy and hot. That was absolutely mid-evil.

I like the idea of the rubber bed tred/rug but do not know if it would be quieter or cooler than stock. Bare steel is only easier to clean/dry and that is it.

AllAmericanInfidel
02-10-2016, 10:56 AM
I like the idea of the rubber bed tred/rug but do not know if it would be quieter or cooler than stock. Bare steel is only easier to clean/dry and that is it.
I'm running the BedTread. It has an insulation layer underneath it that is actually better than the factory carpet has.

EDIT: I should also note that I did run with the floor mats on the bare metal floor for a while. Not only did it scratch them to crap, but it allowed the slush mats to move around and potentially bunch up under the pedals. That was a no go for me.

Goldeneagle1LC
02-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Did the TJ have this insulation too? Because mine was hot in the foot wells no matter which way I ran it. The set up that Americaninfidel has does look like the best option.

AllAmericanInfidel
02-11-2016, 03:11 AM
Did the TJ have this insulation too? Because mine was hot in the foot wells no matter which way I ran it. The set up that Americaninfidel has does look like the best option.

No idea about the insulation on the TJs. I can say that after running several different configurations on several Jeeps, this has been my favorite. The worst route I ever did was Bedliner. I do not miss the wet, dirty carpet days at all.