Removing the Rug under the Floor mats on a JK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My main reason for getting rid of the carpet was I have an Australian Shepard and he sheds a ton.

And there's nothing wrong with you wanting to do something and you being okay with it. But, that's a far cry from telling others that "you won't notice the heat change". I suppose you're okay with the added noise too or, are you going to suggest that you won't notice it? :naw:

DallasJKU

And there's nothing wrong with you wanting to do something and you being okay with it. But, that's a far cry from telling others that "you won't notice the heat change". I suppose you're okay with the added noise too or, are you going to suggest that you won't notice it? :naw:

I didn't notice a change at all. Some of you sissies might!!

Spartan

I've had bed rugs in my old trucks and while I loved them, why would you get rid of your carpet to put in another carpet?

BedRug makes something called BedTred. They say it looks like spray on bed liner and is waterproof, but unlike the spray on/roll on bed liners it can be removed cleaned and replaced.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking about coating my tub with lizardskin heat insulation and sound dampening coatings and leaving my carpets in as well. And as for heat in the summer I have noticed riding in a jk with a black hard top the cab is a bit warmer than my jeep with the body colored top and my jeep is pretty dark as well, commando green, so I can only imagine an all white jeep would be extremely cooler than a blacktop jeep.

StrizzyChris

Exactly!!!! Then again I don't wear mandals!!

I am 20 years certified in Mandal wearing from the institute of hot and cold tootsies...so I feel I am more than qualified to speak on this topic. In both 0* Lake Erie/Cleveland winters, and in 95* with 85%+ humidity summers, with and without tops and doors on, with and without carpet in 2 different Wranglers I am here to tell you....IT MAKES ONE HELL OF A DIFFERENCE!

Just as mentioned, Heat leaches into the cabin frying your feet and generally cooking you in the summers, heat retention in the winters can be felt sucking the heat right out of your boots, and road noise is compounded terribly! I don't feel like being a man in your manly Jeep requires you to be uncomfortable every single damn day you drive your vehicle....Ive never understood that logic? If that's the case I would gladly take your power tools and give you my grandfathers old drill that I have hanging on my wall as an antique to help you complete the transformation to the biggest bad ass ever!

old-hand-drill-small.jpg

Cajun JK

I took the carpet out of my old TJ and did the spray in Bedliner and the floor was hotter even with the Bedliner. But everybody is different.

Armydog

BedRug makes something called BedTred. They say it looks like spray on bed liner and is waterproof, but unlike the spray on/roll on bed liners it can be removed cleaned and replaced.

My pumpkin had the carpet removed and a brush on Bed liner applied ( not well mind you) by the previous owner. I like the concept, but need to reapply the coating to cover what I consider to be mistakes... I have noticed that the floor pans do get very hot. I think a heat shield and sound barrier would be a good idea, but do not want to go back to stock carpet.

Has anyone used the BedRug BedTred product? They claim it helps with heat and sound. I've also seen a brush on two part product on quadratec that makes similar claims.... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

steve_r2

If anyone is interested you can come out here for the summer....its only 55 c (134 F) with 80+ humidity...... mandals, A/C, carpet in, doors on, roof lining on...anyone ? anyone ? ;)

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm either getting too old or becoming more of a pussy lol, I tried to run with the carpet out for a summer and it sucked, noise and heat. I put the hardtop back on, it helped a little but once on the road for long periods of time with no carpet...nahhhh

I tried to find the pics I took of the heat measurements before and after the carpet - very similar hot August days and I recall a big difference, that's also the same summer I installed the Hot Heads and was checking them to see if what I felt really was a difference - it was.

My buddy rhino lined his floor , he used black- don't use black Rhino Lining and then leave it out in the sun with the top off! He has a soft-top and surprisingly it did help cut road noise but the heat it collected with the top off wow! He was going to put the carpet back in but not sure if he has.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'm from AZ. Grew up wheeling in the deserts in Yuma, Lake Havasu, Quartzsite and Parker. I have also lived in El Paso TX, Harker Heights TX, and NM. I now live in SC. It gets hot in all those places. A lot of people think its worse where its humid but honestly, I don't see a lot of difference. Hot is hot, but neither bothers me because I like the heat. The cold is where my vag starts getting sand in it. I have rolled with the carpet out and floor liners in since I have had the JK, but I don't really notice any difference in heat or noise because I have yet to turn on the AC, have the doors off all summer, and its still way more quiet than the CJ I used to drive down I10 for 62 miles a day!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
My buddy rhino lined his floor , he used black- don't use black Rhino Lining and then leave it out in the sun with the top off! He has a soft-top and surprisingly it did help cut road noise but the heat it collected with the top off wow! He was going to put the carpet back in but not sure if he has.

This is a good point. I had carpet in my CJ and decided to have it Rhino Lined. The carpet provided way more sound insulation, and it was a noticeable difference with the heat. Once it was out in the sun for a few months, it started to fade badly and I could never keep it clean. I would hose it out, scrub it etc and it would always look dirty. I ended up having a light coat reapplied because of the fading and it just faded again within half a year.

rodgerdathug

:cheesy: You're right, totally forgot about the noise reductions carpeting provides too. Thanks for pointing that out :D

The noise reduction the only reason why I haven't pulled mine out. The heat I will say this carpet or No carpet I know hard tops love the sun light and it like a sauna in mine here in ky

Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom