Birth of Phoenix

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Took the Phoenix out on a last off-road/camping trip before I leave on deployment. I wanted to go back to Eastern Wa, to the Naches trail system because it was such a neat area. So I packed up the jeep and grabbed a few friends and off we went. IMG_4315.jpg IMG_4319.jpg IMG_4321.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
The higher we climbed we started to run into snow at spots on the roadway. Numerous people in our group got stuck at one particular spot. IMG_4407.jpg IMG_4402.jpg Somehow at this part of the trip, the transfer case cracked on the Wagoneer. We were only a mile from the campsite. IMG_4330.jpg My buddy was a little bummed that he hadn't even hit a trail yet and his rig was out of commission. IMG_4399.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
The campground is great with plenty of room, river near by and little to no people. IMG_4383.jpg IMG_4384.jpg After we setup camp, we hit the trail. Tripod Flats to be exact. The trail was still covered in snow at parts and we could go no further once the trail became completely snow packed. IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4338.jpg IMG_4342.jpg IMG_4349.jpg IMG_4359.jpg IMG_4363.jpg IMG_4380.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
We were cut short on our trail ride but everyone was happy with what we accomplished and we headed back to camp. An axe was left at the top of a trail so two guys headed back to get it. They were gone way longer than they should have been so we sent out a search party. In the process of looking for the axe, the guys in the FJ40 decided to try the hill again which requires some momentum to get up. Well during the climb, the FJ hit some roots and got a little air under the tires. When the tires landed the rear pinion snapped and sent them going backwards. They saved the FJ and safely got it back down the hill. They had to be towed back to camp but could only be towed backwards. IMG_4387.jpg IMG_4389.jpg IMG_4390.jpg Since we didn't carry a spare axle we decided to remove the broken pieces to get it rolling again and drive it in front wheel drive only down the mountain. IMG_4398.jpg The entire carrier was beat up with teeth broken on everything.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Even though we had two catastrophic casualties, we made it down to pavement. IMG_4404.jpg We decided to leave both vehicles in town and drive home to get my trailer. 3 hours later we are hooking the trailer up and driving back out to E. WA. Got the Wagoneer loaded up and made it back home around 2:30 AM. The FJ will be loaded up today. It was a long day and a short trip but it was fun. I'm looking forward to some bigger trips like Moab and the Rubicon next year.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Great pics, looks like a fantastic spot for camping! Thanks for sharing and glad you guys had fun despite the carnage. :thumb:

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Headed for another trip on the trails at Tahuya yesterday. Recently new trails were created with increased difficulty so we checked them out. Definitely a lot more difficult than the rest of the trails. IMG_4437.jpg IMG_4448.jpg IMG_4466.jpg IMG_4445.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
My last post for about 6 months. I'm headed out on deployment tomorrow and will be floating in the middle of the ocean. I recently sold my Willys which freed up some extra cash. I decided to buy some parts now just so I wasn't thinking about what I wanted to do for 6 months.

I purchased a Rock Hard cage and a rear driveshaft by Adams with 1350 u-joints. Now I must wait to install which sucks but I know it's waiting for me when I get home. IMG_4548.jpg

Top Bottom