Birth of Phoenix

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Back from deployment and I have a garage full of parts. First ones to be installed is new seat covers for the rear by Bartact. Very snug fit and I'm happy with the install. IMG_4932.jpg
Also installed some Mastercraft Baja seats with seat heaters. The install was pretty straightforward and I'm eager to drive and test them out. IMG_4934.jpg I'll hook up the heaters in the next week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Got to go out and stretch my legs a little. Did some mild trails but the main purpose was to go out and test the new lift on CSSAHARA’s jeep. Getting ready for Moab this spring. IMG_4965.jpg IMG_4963.jpg IMG_4962.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Decided on a spur of the moment night run up in the Olympic Nation Forest. Ran through some forest service roads until we found snow. Came upon some people on the trail with a Honda CRV. There was a good 6-8” on the trail so we thought we were going to rescue them, nope. They were playing a GPS game and setting up some portal and they didn’t need our help. They were super friendly but weird as well. We hung around until they finished to ensure they got out safely. IMG_5110.jpg IMG_5113.jpg IMG_5120.jpg IMG_5126.jpg IMG_5130.jpg IMG_5133.jpg

Moose92YJ

Just finished reading this thread. Found it after reading your YJ thread. Pretty awesome transformation so far for Phoenix.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Last year I traded my Sahara sway bar for a Rubicon one. It didn’t work and the guy didn’t want to fix it. I tore it apart removed all the sand and mud and installed an EVO no limits actuator on it. It was a little sloppy because the bushings were a little worn out but it worked fine. IMG_3831.jpg
Fast forward a year or so and the driving started to get more sloppy. Went exploring the other weekend and on the way home, the jeep was all over the road and unpredictable. Got home and the sway bar had an excessive amount of play. Jeep doesn’t offer any repairable parts for the disconnect so my only option was to replace it. Couldn’t find any on CL which wasn’t a shocker. eBay had one for $850. So I decided to go with a Currie Antirock sway bar for $475.

Install was pretty straightforward. I had to remove my Poison Spyder skid plate for the bumper. It was just in the way for the install but I think I will leave it off. The ride is so much better and smoother. I did some driveway flex and it works. I’m sure I lost some flexibility but I’m eager to test it in the real world. IMG_5155.jpg IMG_5160.jpg IMG_5157.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Went to Walker Valley today with klungy and CSSAHARA. This was another get ready for Moab trip. Total it was around 200 Miles. Jeeps did well on the freeway and in the park. IMG_5192.jpg IMG_5194.jpg
Beautiful sunshine but it still managed to stay around 33 degrees the whole time. IMG_5196.jpg IMG_5201.jpg
The new Currie sway bar worked well. I never felt held back. I did have less flex because my tires never hit my fenders but it performed well and I had no complaints. IMG_5212.jpg IMG_5220.jpg
Here’s a couple required poser pics. IMG_5225.jpg IMG_5216.jpg IMG_5236.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Finally got around to installing my PSC Big Bore steering box with a new pump and reservoir. It’s been sitting in my garage for around 6 months now. The install went pretty smooth. There was a couple of hang ups but nothing major. IMG_5255.jpg IMG_5256.jpg
Removal of the old pump, belt and pulley was straightforward. IMG_5263.jpg IMG_5264.jpg
Installation is just as easy. IMG_5265.jpg
To remove the steering box there were a few hoops to jump through. Remove the two lines which were easy to reach. Removing the coolant overflow bottle makes everything easier. Also you need to completely remove the bolt that holds the clamp from the steering shaft on to the steering box. IMG_5266.jpg IMG_5267.jpg
Removing the four bolts that bolt the box to the frame were more difficult because the coil spring cover the two in the rear. IMG_5268.jpg
I ended up putting a jack stand on the frame and lowering the drive side part of the axle to the floor. That moved the axle far enough back to reach all four bolts. IMG_5270.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
After that I could remove the old box once the draglink was removed. You can see the size comparison between the two boxes and pitman arms. IMG_5271.jpg IMG_5272.jpg
This is the part where a second person is needed since the new box is much heavier and hard to maneuver. I ended up dropping it which resulting my thumb being pinched between the crank pulley and steering box. IMG_5273.jpg
At this point you can hook everything back up. IMG_5274.jpg
The hard part about this kit was trying to find a spot to mount the reservoir that meets all the criteria provided by PSC. Decided to mount off the battery box. I ended up making my own bracket. Turned out very sturdy. IMG_5275.jpg IMG_5276.jpg IMG_5278.jpg IMG_5279.jpg IMG_5280.jpg
At this point my power went out so I turned on my rock lights because I needed to finish so I could drive to work the next day. IMG_5282.jpg
I had to remove the track bar to bolt up the pitman arm. IMG_5283.jpg
After that I filled the system, vented and test drove. Steering feels great. Looking forward to test it out on the trails. I only have my cage and driveshaft left to install before Moab.

Top Bottom