The Adventures and Build of Remi the JL Rubicon!

Napalm

I’ve been doing a terrible job updating my build thread, so here comes a non-Jeep focused update. I wish I had Remi updates, but those will come soon.

So I made it through closing, at the house that was taking up over 25% of my income PLUS an additional house payment has been SOLD!
788360C6-FC8E-4D59-A6AF-849E35EDAFED.jpg

Ruby has become my daily driver, and she needed new tires. While getting new tires I went ahead and decided to upgrade wheels and give Ruby a little more of a “younger” sportier look.
IMG_1452.jpg
IMG_1451.jpg

About four hours after getting my new wheels, while sitting at a gas station and woman in a large brand new excursion backed into my at about 10 MPH. She hit the wheel just in the right spot to destroy the strut and strut mount
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_1462.jpg
IMG_1465.jpg
(Wheels were straight)
IMG_1461.jpg

By the grace of God she was honest, called her insurance and made a claim, and they covered the entire cost of repairs and it should be back next week. Remi has become my daily once again
IMG_1523.jpg

I’m hesitant to start the built for two reasons. 1. I’d like to get debt other than the Jeep loan paid off before starting and 2. I’m not sure of what direction I want to start

So here is my question to the masses -

Now that Remi is no longer my daily, I’ve been considering getting rid of the hard top completely in lou of a Bestop Trek Top. I’ve always done this on all my Jeeps, and never had an issue. I’m hesitant because last I checked, Bestop was still having the problems with the new Trektop, and I kind of like the way my hard top looks. I have NO WHERE to store it though, i don’t have any help to pull it off, I DO NOT like the idea of wheeling with the hardtop(I’ve never done it), and Jeep season here in Tejas is coming up FAST.

All that rambling to ask -

1. Keep the hardtop

2. Sell the hardtop, buy a Bestop Trektop, and put the leftover money into the build

Please HELP! Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Sell the hardtop and get the new factory twill soft top - either through Besttop or Mopar. I wasn't sure I liked the new window slides that come on the new soft tops now, but after using it a couple times I can say good riddance to those goddam zippers. The new top operates so easily I wish my other Jeep top worked like the new one. The only 'bad' thing I have to say about it is that it doesn't have that classic soft top look to it. I only ordered the dual tops on mine because the wife wanted the hard top in the Winter.

Napalm

Shit luck about your daily. What about a OEM soft top?

Congrats on the home sell. I would sell the hard top if it were me.

No more zippers on the JL OEM soft top and they appear to be more user friendly than the JK soft top

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sell the hardtop and get the new factory twill soft top - either through Besttop or Mopar. I wasn't sure I liked the new window slides that come on the new soft tops now, but after using it a couple times I can say good riddance to those goddam zippers. The new top operates so easily I wish my other Jeep top worked like the new one. The only 'bad' thing I have to say about it is that it doesn't have that classic soft top look to it. I only ordered the dual tops on mine because the wife wanted the hard top in the Winter.

First of all, thanks for all the responses! Appreciate the help!

So I’ve decided with y’all’s help - SELL THE HARDTOP!

Now that Remi isn’t my daily, there is no rush for me to buy a soft top. I can take my time researching and deciding between the OEM soft top and a Trektop. I like the idea of the OEM soft top.. but man those bad boys are expensive! Will try and look for a good deal.

Currently my hard top is pending sale to a firefighter friend of mine. I plan to sell it to him next week, pick up a SpiderWebShade for the time being, and leave Remi without a top until I can find one I like/that’s a good deal. That is one great benefit of Remi no longer being my only vehicle. Thanks for the help, guys!

Napalm

Remi is now topless [emoji16] sold the hard top this morning
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg

I don’t have another top just yet, I’m not sure how soon I’ll get one. Since it’s not my daily, it’s not a huge issue not having one. Part of me wants to go ahead and buy the soft top I’m looking at, and part of me just wants to buy a SpiderWebShade and call it good for now!

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Remi is now topless [emoji16] sold the hard top this morning
View attachment 334559
View attachment 334560

I don’t have another top just yet, I’m not sure how soon I’ll get one. Since it’s not my daily, it’s not a huge issue not having one. Part of me wants to go ahead and buy the soft top I’m looking at, and part of me just wants to buy a SpiderWebShade and call it good for now!

The shade sounds like a solid short term solution! Looking Good!

Napalm

The shade sounds like a solid short term solution! Looking Good!

That’s what I’m thinking. I haven’t been driving Remi much at all since getting my daily back, but it would be nice to have some shade when out and about.

The real problems lies is that I’m just so indecisive with what top I want! Just like I’ve always been 🤣

Napalm

Celebratory first day of fall naked picture. We are celebrating because I just refinanced Remi without a co-signer and at a much lower interest rate than before.
Adjustments.jpg
When you live alone and are as OCD about your stuff as I am, you give your doors their own room instead of being in the garage.
IMG_1611.jpg
Also transferred ownership and registered Ruby into my name! That means no more handicap plates!
Adjustments.jpg

Top Bottom