WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Judesign

Caught the Bug
We were right outside Grand Lake around 9k. Any snow left where you were at?

Indeed it was.

Yeah the only thing that was really open was ophir, engineers pass has a rockslide that they are saying could take the year to clear, black bear was a no-go until probably late July, even yankee boy basin was only 3/4 open. It got down to freezing two out of three nights we were there. Even still we have never been so we were blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Crazy to see the elk just hanging out what looks like yards from all the humans at the campgrounds.

It is something I grew up with and really took for granted, but now as an adult, I am dumbfounded by how used to humans that these creatures are. I have been in vehicles where the elk just stick there heads in the window when you pull over to look at them. It's bittersweet...As much as it would be more natural for them to be afraid of humans, because they aren't we've have years worth of enjoyment seeing them. This is only the second time that I've camped here, and both times were just like this, elk just wondered through like we weren't even there.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah the only thing that was really open was ophir, engineers pass has a rockslide that they are saying could take the year to clear, black bear was a no-go until probably late July, even yankee boy basin was only 3/4 open. It got down to freezing two out of three nights we were there. Even still we have never been so we were blown away.

Good to hear you had a good time. We may try to get over to that area of the state this year.

It is something I grew up with and really took for granted, but now as an adult, I am dumbfounded by how used to humans that these creatures are. I have been in vehicles where the elk just stick there heads in the window when you pull over to look at them. It's bittersweet...As much as it would be more natural for them to be afraid of humans, because they aren't we've have years worth of enjoyment seeing them. This is only the second time that I've camped here, and both times were just like this, elk just wondered through like we weren't even there.

Yea, I get the bittersweet thing for sure. It's really cool though that they come right up to you, as long as they aren't aggressive. I'm sure your kids get a kick out of that and soak that up.

WJCO

Meme King
Yea, I get the bittersweet thing for sure. It's really cool though that they come right up to you, as long as they aren't aggressive. I'm sure your kids get a kick out of that and soak that up.

They love it. We've taught them to enjoy from a distance and let the animals do their thing.

WJCO

Meme King
WARNING: Shit's about to get ghetto up in here.

So I've been working on this aftermarket intake pretty much since I got the Jeep. I never wanted an aftermarket intake for a Jeep application, but it is kinda required when you relocate the washer fluid bottle. On a WJ, the OEM washer reservoir is inside the LF wheel well in front of the tire, stupid design. If you run 32s or larger, your tires hit it and crack it. Most WJs require removing the stock air intake system and putting a ZJ washer bottle in that location which is what I did. The ZJ bottle fits there and has all the necessary holes drilled for the washer pumps and fluid level sensor already.

Here's the OEM washer bottle location:

DSC02489.jpg

If I were to re-do this whole project, I would have left the OEM air box and built or bought a custom washer bottle and put it somewhere else. But I didn't.

So the very first intake I bought was something like this:

s-l225.jpg

This is one of the stupidest products anyone has ever made. It leaves the air filters at the highest point in the engine which is the warmest and the metal retains heat. If I went to drive the Jeep and then got out and touched the metal, it was about as hot as a stove, near impossible to work on, Stupidly designed product. The only reason I touched it is because the boots kept falling off, cheap shit. So then I switched to a plastic DIY one, this one worked pretty good, but it was a little flimsy and kept rubbing on the steering gear box, I was never really happy with the placement as far as keeping it secure:

jeep (8).jpg

So recently, I modified this and put the intake up higher, it wasn't as hot as the metal one and it cleaned up the area, but as temps have gotten higher this summer/spring, I can just tell it's not working as well as the previous one:

IMG_20170215_155400_421.jpg

So here we are today. I decided to reinstall the factory snorkel tube that goes from the grill area to where the OEM box used to be. And I picked up a badass rubber ABS pipe reducer from ACE hardware that fit perfectly:

0618171317a.jpg

0618171317.jpg

0618171316.jpg

I re-routed the intake similar to the previous location:

0618171341.jpg

And then I went 'in da hood' gansta on this thing. I used flame retardant insulation for building fireplaces and wrapped it in aluminum foil and secured it around the intake. As ghetto as this may seem, I used this same method on a 3 day backpacking trip and kept 10 beers cold with no ice. Cold beer on the 3rd day with no ice is amazing. Thermally, it works. It looks like shit, but it really does work:

0618171347.jpg

0618171408.jpg

So that's the final product. I really need to get this out on a hot day to see what happens, but I really hope it works. And no I wasn't smoking any Colorado Green during this project.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Actually that seems like great idea compared to the others. I bet it works. You can always wrap it later in some thin plastic tubing or sheet metal to clean it up.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
LOL! Reminds me of one of those grow houses you drive by with foil on the windows! Can't wait to see the results!:thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Fuck it. Get it to work right and then pretty it up. Good luck with the experiment! 👍

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Actually that seems like great idea compared to the others. I bet it works. You can always wrap it later in some thin plastic tubing or sheet metal to clean it up.

LOL! Reminds me of one of those grow houses you drive by with foil on the windows! Can't wait to see the results!:thumb:

Thanks. I'll get some photos of temp readings after a good drive.

Ha. Love it. Glad you put the $300 flashlight to work too :)

Yes. The flashlight has been well used.

lol nice! Looks like an extra large cali burrito sitting under the hood of your jeep.

PS - I'll have to try that method to keep me beers cold in the future no doubt.

WJCO

Meme King
lol nice! Looks like an extra large cali burrito sitting under the hood of your jeep.

PS - I'll have to try that method to keep me beers cold in the future no doubt.

This guy I know was telling me about how one of those 1 dollar space blankets saved his life, long story, but kept him from going hypothermic. Later that same year, we were going on a 3 day backpacking trip, and I really love beer and wanted to bring at least 3 per day, but I had to keep it as light as possible. I got to thinking about the space blanket. I used a space blanket, folded it in half, then put some 1/8" insulation between the pieces. Put 10 cold beers in the middle of the assembly (hardest part to make them fit right) and pulled the blanket corners together and rubberbanded them. This was the morning we left. We reached camp about 4pm that afternoon and the beers were just as cold. To be safe and not miss an opportunity to chill them, I put them in a stream while we were at camp. I wrapped up the remaining ones the next morning. 2nd night camp, had cold beers again. They were probably about 50 degrees Fahrenheit so a little warmer but still enjoyable. On day 3 they were about the same. All 3 days were in the high 80s outside. The entire 'ice chest' weighed about an ounce. It really works.

Top Bottom