WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
Nice. Let us know the results. Been thinking more about cooling solutions. I think some vents are in my future.

Will do.

Good work [emoji106]
You think you'll be able to run a small microwave off that inverter?

Silly I know. But I've been wanting to add a microwave to my work truck and if it works maybe add one to my Jeep. Been looking into all sorts of configurations and haven't decided to do it or not.

Thanks. Check the wattage. I'm not sure what wattage a small microwave pulls, but you need an inverter that will handle that or even more. Some appliances will have a peak wattage upon first start up. So even if it's a 1000 watt appliance, the startup peak could be around 2000w, so an inverter that large would be needed. It starts getting expensive with high wattage inverters. You would also need thick wire to run something like that likely, like 2 or 0 gauge. This little coffee pot was rated at 675w and sure enough it sat at 670-680 the whole time. It also had no peak wattage at start up.

So WJCO, what's the plan for the inverter? I have never used mine, maybe I am missing out!

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had 2 goals with this: Small coffee pot for camping. And being able to run power tools like grinders and drills. I wanted to be able to have mobile power if I were building something and not close to a plug in. This inverter does all of that.

I do have cordless tools as well for the trail, and I can also charge those batteries now if there were an emergency (assuming engine starts).

USMC Wrangler

Tested the inverter today with a small coffee pot. It's a 1000w inverter and it never went over 680. And water was hot when it was done. Did this with engine at idle. Charging voltage stayed around mid 13s. :thumb:

View attachment 263556

View attachment 263557

Then I installed an extra aux fan (6 inch diameter) right on one of my trans coolers to see if it will help keep the transmission temps down in the mountains on hot days. So far on a test drive around town, it worked fine. Charging voltage stayed normal, AC worked great, engine never went above 210F. I wired this right into the AC fan circuit so it will always be on when the OEM aux fan kicks on as well. Hoping to get into the hills this weekend for a real test.

View attachment 263558

View attachment 263559

Nice work! [emoji1303]

Im the fresh burritos wrapped in foil and shoved in a thermos kinda guy. My partner (corn fed white dude) gets tons of mileage out of my beaner lunches.
lol
It's the micro burritos I'm trying to get away from. Just tired of eating cold left overs.

You lost me after that. [emoji304][emoji304]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

https://media2.giphy.com/media/JyLrvtoeR86NW/giphy.gif

Ddays

Hooked
Crazy how much wattage some appliances pull. I'm thinking of one of these and the 2 reasons are to be able to have a coffee pot and charge batteries. Looks like a 1000 watter is plenty.

WJCO

Meme King
Nice work! [emoji1303]

Thanks.

Crazy how much wattage some appliances pull. I'm thinking of one of these and the 2 reasons are to be able to have a coffee pot and charge batteries. Looks like a 1000 watter is plenty.

Just an FYI, this little coffee pots was 8 bucks from Chinatown. It was the smallest one they had, does 5 cups at a time. The next sizes up were 900 watts. If you're coffee pot is running 900 watts, I would suggest getting at least 1500w or 2000w inverter just to be safe. The one we have brewed a small pot in about 5-10 minutes. So even if we have to brew 2 pots on a camp morning, we're ok with that. Some people (or a big family) may want a bigger setup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.

Just an FYI, this little coffee pots was 8 bucks from Chinatown. It was the smallest one they had, does 5 cups at a time. The next sizes up were 900 watts. If you're coffee pot is running 900 watts, I would suggest getting at least 1500w or 2000w inverter just to be safe. The one we have brewed a small pot in about 5-10 minutes. So even if we have to brew 2 pots on a camp morning, we're ok with that. Some people (or a big family) may want a bigger setup.

That's good info to know. I still just do it old school and use a Jet Boil and a french press to make coffee or in a pinch, use Starbucks instant.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I had 2 goals with this: Small coffee pot for camping. And being able to run power tools like grinders and drills. I wanted to be able to have mobile power if I were building something and not close to a plug in. This inverter does all of that.

I do have cordless tools as well for the trail, and I can also charge those batteries now if there were an emergency (assuming engine starts).

Nice! I have honestly never used mine. I like the charging tools idea, I also saw that Milwaukee makes a 12v charger for their fuel line of tools. I wonder what is more efficient (as in a drains the battery less?)

I like the coffemake idea, but I already bring so much crap hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
That's good info to know. I still just do it old school and use a Jet Boil and a french press to make coffee or in a pinch, use Starbucks instant.

I can rough it in almost any condition and any situation but I am known to whine like a little bitch without my fresh ground coffee in the morning :grayno:
This inverter is salvation for me! :2thumbsup:

WJCO

Meme King

I used to use that method for backpacking as well. Now I just carry a Red Bull. I'm lazy when I'm backpacking, lol.

Nice! I have honestly never used mine. I like the charging tools idea, I also saw that Milwaukee makes a 12v charger for their fuel line of tools. I wonder what is more efficient (as in a drains the battery less?)

I like the coffemake idea, but I already bring so much crap hahaha.

If you're ok with burning a little fuel, the inverter isn't too bad, just let the engine idle. If you have a dual battery setup, even better, may not even have to run the engine. This little coffee pot doesn't take up much room at all. It's a little taller than a green Coleman fuel can and about the same diameter.

I can rough it in almost any condition and any situation but I am known to whine like a little bitch without my fresh ground coffee in the morning :grayno:

The coffee is more for the wife (from Seattle). She's the same way, she won't even talk in the morning until she has coffee. I enjoy my coffee but can go without it if needed. But with a setup this simple, it's totally worth it to me.

Nice job on the inverter!

Thanks.

Stotch

Caught the Bug

I'm right there with you, I have to bring a manual grinder and an Aeropress.

I just have a little 300w inverter for charging small stuff; WJCO, that setup is awesome!! :rock::thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
0615171430.jpg

0615171431.jpg

DSC05612.JPG

As you can tell by these pictures of the cargo rack and roof rack filled with gear, I got to do a little thing that is officially called.....

overlanding.jpg

Some updates. Coffee pot with the inverter was awesome. Worked great, wish we had done it sooner. As far as the new fan for the transmission, vehicle temps were climbing in town at idle, so I ripped it off before the trip, didn't want to deal with it. The motor diameter itself (minus the fan blade) covers the entire trans cooler and since it sits right against the cooler, I think it was blocking air flow. The camping was awesome other than the wind. The wind took our pop-up canopy and threw it into the side of the tent breaking one of the poles. Luckily the Jeep was equipped with an Official Approved Coleman Tent Pole repair kit to make it good as new and the fix withstood the 2nd night of solid wind.

DSC05522.jpg

DSC05523.jpg

We got to see a ton of Elk, one group had a calf. One of the bull Elk was right behind my Jeep before I knew it, so I tried getting some pics through the spare tire holes. Only one Moose seen on the trip, but she had a calf with her as well.

DSC05611.jpg

DSC05587.jpg

DSC05571.jpg

DSC05568.jpg

DSC05561.jpg

DSC05547.jpg

DSC05544.jpg

DSC05533.jpg

DSC05532.jpg

Moose: Pics suck, but the video turned out ok. We weren't that close to them.

DSC05605.jpg

DSC05599.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Nice shots, looks like a great day. And those racks seem to do the job nicely.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. Having 3 kids we have come to love that roof rack for camping trips.

Great pictures, looks fun [emoji106]

It was. Thanks.

Looks awesome. Jealous of your RMNP

We are very blessed. We get a park pass every year and probably use it about 20 times a year. Sometimes even for a 30 minute drive.

Nice pics. You can fix anything with zip ties. [emoji1303]

Nice photos and splint for the tent[emoji106]

Thanks. Out of all the items in the jeep, I can honestly say that I have used zip ties more than anything else. We have about 200 in each jeep. You never know what they'll come in handy for.

Top Bottom