WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD.

Went on a little adventure this afternoon. Sorry no pics, forgot camera. We wanted to check out this trail that we heard was easy and scenic. The web had pictures of Honda civics and Subarus at the end, etc. And I wanted to play with my new GPS. We get to the start of the trail which borders private property, and there are tons of homemade signs "high clearance only" "turn around now, tows are expensive" "your vehicle will break, don't come back here." I'd already seen pics on the web, so I dismissed the signs as bullshit. I figured local residents did that to keep down on the traffic. I was wrong. This trail was intense, deep 4 foot ruts from spring runoffs, large rocks requiring careful lines, muddy hills, etc. The only thing keeping us going was that we thought it would get easier, pictures on the internet don't lie!!! We got to this muddy downhill obstacle with lots of rocks and it was long, we were really worried about having to climb back up it (luckily we told someone exactly where we were going), so we get down to the bottom and there's a row of fricken mailboxes and the road goes to smooth. The exact spot we were trying to achieve was right up ahead and there was a Dodge charger and some other lower clearance vehicle :thinking: It seriously was a WTF moment. I look at the GPS and realized there's 2 ways in to this location. The one we didn't take is a nice maintained residential county road :banghead: so, on the way back we went that way and enjoyed the flowers and rainbows.

The main reason I'm posting this: ProRock kicked ass. There were some tough spots (for a frameless jeep on 33s) requiring careful placement of tires and this thing crawled right through. No winch nor lockers needed. The easy road we took back was very steep and I wished I had used gears more than brakes, but the ProGrips also kicked ass. And finally, the new track bar bolt did not loosen up (I posted about this in another thread). This is the first time since the axle install that I have not had to retighten the bolt. If you didn't read that post, I had overtorqued the bolt and damaged the threads and the bolt kept coming loose. New bolt with PROPER torque has solved the problem.

And before Nick replies....Yes, this is 'good to know.'

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD.

Went on a little adventure this afternoon. Sorry no pics, forgot camera. We wanted to check out this trail that we heard was easy and scenic. The web had pictures of Honda civics and Subarus at the end, etc. And I wanted to play with my new GPS. We get to the start of the trail which borders private property, and there are tons of homemade signs "high clearance only" "turn around now, tows are expensive" "your vehicle will break, don't come back here." I'd already seen pics on the web, so I dismissed the signs as bullshit. I figured local residents did that to keep down on the traffic. I was wrong. This trail was intense, deep 4 foot ruts from spring runoffs, large rocks requiring careful lines, muddy hills, etc. The only thing keeping us going was that we thought it would get easier, pictures on the internet don't lie!!! We got to this muddy downhill obstacle with lots of rocks and it was long, we were really worried about having to climb back up it (luckily we told someone exactly where we were going), so we get down to the bottom and there's a row of fricken mailboxes and the road goes to smooth. The exact spot we were trying to achieve was right up ahead and there was a Dodge charger and some other lower clearance vehicle :thinking: It seriously was a WTF moment. I look at the GPS and realized there's 2 ways in to this location. The one we didn't take is a nice maintained residential county road :banghead: so, on the way back we went that way and enjoyed the flowers and rainbows.

The main reason I'm posting this: ProRock kicked ass. There were some tough spots (for a frameless jeep on 33s) requiring careful placement of tires and this thing crawled right through. No winch nor lockers needed. The easy road we took back was very steep and I wished I had used gears more than brakes, but the ProGrips also kicked ass. And finally, the new track bar bolt did not loosen up (I posted about this in another thread). This is the first time since the axle install that I have not had to retighten the bolt. If you didn't read that post, I had overtorqued the bolt and damaged the threads and the bolt kept coming loose. New bolt with PROPER torque has solved the problem.

And before Nick replies....Yes, this is 'good to know.'

that is very much nice to knoweth

GraniteCrystal

Ha. I can imagine the look on your face when you see the mailboxes and cars. Priceless. Glad you made it thru. Dynatrac. Confidence to Explore.

WJCO

Meme King
that is very much nice to knoweth

Indeed it is.

Good stuff, now you have more confidence your WJ and parts than you even had before.

For sure. Loving the new axle.

Ha. I can imagine the look on your face when you see the mailboxes and cars. Priceless. Glad you made it thru. Dynatrac. Confidence to Explore.

It was funny. My wife and I just looked at each other like 'WTF are these guys doing here?'

Ddays

Hooked
Ran into your buddy Big D at the Bantam Jeep festival in Butler yesterday. I came thiiiiiiis close to asking him to pose for a pic with me and get his autograph for you but I was with my daughter & figured I'd better portray a better example. Plus she's checking the forum out now and I need to clean up my act - not so much goddam swearing & stuff y'know :yup:

big d.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Ran into your buddy Big D at the Bantam Jeep festival in Butler yesterday. I came thiiiiiiis close to asking him to pose for a pic with me and get his autograph for you but I was with my daughter & figured I'd better portray a better example. Plus she's checking the forum out now and I need to clean up my act - not so much goddam swearing & stuff y'know :yup:

Lol. Thanks for thinking of me. I don't think that's the real guy though, probably just an actor. If you look closely, there is still a tire attached to the carrier on that jeep.

WJCO

Meme King
Tested the inverter today with a small coffee pot. It's a 1000w inverter and it never went over 680. And water was hot when it was done. Did this with engine at idle. Charging voltage stayed around mid 13s. :thumb:

0614171931.jpg

0614171931a.jpg

Then I installed an extra aux fan (6 inch diameter) right on one of my trans coolers to see if it will help keep the transmission temps down in the mountains on hot days. So far on a test drive around town, it worked fine. Charging voltage stayed normal, AC worked great, engine never went above 210F. I wired this right into the AC fan circuit so it will always be on when the OEM aux fan kicks on as well. Hoping to get into the hills this weekend for a real test.

0614172107.jpg

0614172107a.jpg

Good work [emoji106]
You think you'll be able to run a small microwave off that inverter?

Silly I know. But I've been wanting to add a microwave to my work truck and if it works maybe add one to my Jeep. Been looking into all sorts of configurations and haven't decided to do it or not.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Good work [emoji106]
You think you'll be able to run a small microwave off that inverter?

Silly I know. But I've been wanting to add a microwave to my work truck and if it works maybe add one to my Jeep. Been looking into all sorts of configurations and haven't decided to do it or not.

You didn't strike me as the microwave burrito type. Guess you learn something new every day. IMG_3394.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom