12' Gecko Build

desertrunner

The rig is looking great man!

Which OME springs are you using in the rear? I have the 2.25" OME in the rear and the Synergy raised trackbar mount and it seems pretty centered. The only issue I had with it was shock clearance. I can get some measurements for you later if it'd help at all.
Thanks man yeah I would love to see a pic of your set up and your measurements. I went the OME 2.25 med duty no load springs.

Side note I just mounted my spare and took measurements and I am 7/8" off to the passenger side. Just enough to make me want to do something about it. That's with a full tank of gas too. Obviously it will always change with weight but that's almost as loaded as its gonna be and it's still 1" off that's too much for my taste.

The JKS bracket says it raises the track bar mount 4" I wonder how much that equates to lateral axle movement

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Here ya go. Full tank of gas too.
IMG_20180625_183732.jpg
IMG_20180625_183643.jpg
3.25" raised bracket.
IMG_20180625_183429.jpg
It's hard to get perfect measurements, but if it's off anymore it's 1/16 or less. I'm pretty happy with it.
This is the shock clearance that's close. You can see where it rubs a little during articulation.
IMG_20180625_184309.jpg

Last edited:

desertrunner

I know it's going to be hard to get perfect measurements and it's all gonna change with weight changes but the real reason I want to get it as center as possible is I really had to pull hard on my shocks to get them installed. Being that far off center and having the rockstars put a lot of lateral stress on my shocks that I really don't want to blow out my shocks

desertrunner

Thanks brick!
Yeah I think I'm gonna pull the track bar lift it up 4" and see what kind of lateral deflection that gives me and if that's going to center it up I'll take it off your hands if you still want to get rid of it

desertrunner

Trevor you rig is looking so frickin BAD ASS brother! :rock::rock::rock::rock:[emoji481]
Thanks Pete! It's getting closer and closer to what I imagined when I bought it. And actually the 37s was an impulse buy i was kinda expecting to take it to moab in August on 33s.. but we had some extra cash playing around just enough to buy the 37s and I said F it I'm gonna go for it.

Overall it's almost everything I pictured when originally planning it all out. Just a few more odds and ends to figure out and I'm good to go

desertrunner

Ok so I pulled the track bar and shifted the body around to get it centered up and took some measurements. Raising my trackbar 4" puts my axle about 1/4" off center to the left. Being that I am unloaded but full tank of gas I would prefer it to be ever so slightly off center to the right, since loading tools and people into the jeep is going to shift it more to the left. But if I remember right mounting my spare shifted it about 1/4" so if I'm 1/4" off to the left and load roughly spare tire weight worth of tools that would put me 1/2" off center to the left. Personally I think I'm ok being within 1/2" off center, and as I burn off gas it will come back the other direction. I guess I'm just a little concerned that if I load 400lbs of shit in the back now I'm going to be off to the left about as much as I'm off to the right currently putting lateral stress on my shocks..... decisions decisions

It's looking like a bracket that raises it 3" would be better for my application. But really I am fighting over 1/2" or so which maybe is negligible

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Or instead of playing the guessing game I can just buy an adjustable track bar and be done....

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Remove your track bar. With the Jeep sitting on its wheels, Center the axle with some ratchet straps. Use a tape measure to find out (a) the length of a track bar necessary to reach from the frame side mount to the stock axle mount and (b) the amount of height needed in a raised mount to enable you to use your stock track bar. Then make your decision. No guessing required.

You’ll get a better ride and have less lateral movement of your axle if your track bar is closer to parallel with the ground. You achieve that with a raised bracket, not a longer (adjustable) track bar.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Remove your track bar. With the Jeep sitting on its wheels, Center the axle with some ratchet straps. Use a tape measure to find out (a) the length of a track bar necessary to reach from the frame side mount to the stock axle mount and (b) the amount of height needed in a raised mount to enable you to use your stock track bar. Then make your decision. No guessing required.

thats exactly what i just did and to center up the axle i need to raise the track bar like 2.75". Smallest one i have found is the synergy one at 3" and the JKS one is at 4" both of which are going to push my axle left of center which is only going to get worse by adding weight (considering im in an unloaded condition currently) so i think my best bet is just an adjustable. Ranchos is pretty cheap i just need to make sure its going to be short enough when its fully shortened.

desertrunner

Ok I just ordered a JKS rear track bar.

So to recap my wheel spacers will be here Thursday. Track bar will be here Friday. That should be enough to get it mostly all set up and clear.

What I still need to do is get some longer rear swaybar links. I could use some longer rear shocks. And I still need to hack away at my pinch seams and rubi rails. + figure out what I want to do for a rear bumper

desertrunner

Spacers on the front. Still need to put back in my bump stops up front then the front is all wrapped up.

I cant wait to get it out of the garage so I can actually see how wide this thing is. I may want to add my 3/4" spring spacers just to make it look a little less squaty

20180629_112728.jpg

20180629_114312.jpg

BaddestCross

Spacers on the front. Still need to put back in my bump stops up front then the front is all wrapped up.

I cant wait to get it out of the garage so I can actually see how wide this thing is. I may want to add my 3/4" spring spacers just to make it look a little less squaty

View attachment 304595

View attachment 304596

Looking good! (Check your PMs)

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

JKbrick

Ok I just ordered a JKS rear track bar.

So to recap my wheel spacers will be here Thursday. Track bar will be here Friday. That should be enough to get it mostly all set up and clear.

What I still need to do is get some longer rear swaybar links. I could use some longer rear shocks. And I still need to hack away at my pinch seams and rubi rails. + figure out what I want to do for a rear bumper

Since your going with the adjustable bar check out the JKS fab parts rear track bar mount piece that wraps around the axle and reinforces the factory bracket so it doesn’t rip off. It’s a really nice piece

Looks awesome by the way [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

desertrunner

Spacers are in and I did another clearance check. I have to say I liked the look better without the spacers... here are some side by side comparisons before and after

20180622_183317.jpg

20180630_155605.jpg

20180625_150329.jpg

20180630_155711.jpg

20180622_180344.jpg

20180630_161356.jpg

Top Bottom