12' Gecko Build

Got home last night after a week in Moab, figured i would update the build thread on how the rig did out there. I ran gold bar rim to Golden spike just to the crack then back out the way i came in, top of the world, and the N section of fins and things.

Overall i am very pleased with how the rig performed. First off the coopers DAMN they are awesome they did way better than the last 2 times i did moab with the KM2s. i ran them at 15psi the whole time and they did not disappoint.
since this is the first time i did any significant wheeling with the 2 dr i really got to compare it to my old 4dr and i am very very impressed. its a totally new experience, the off camber steep stuff is a bit more sketchy but out of the 3 days i was out there i think i barely even touched the skid plates once. the short brake over angle and tight turn radius is really nice on the trail. I was a little more conservative with the lines i took considering i was solo and my wife is not an experienced spotter but i didnt take it easy on the rig and every time i would brace thinking i would drag belly, hit rock rails, or scrape the rear frame rails it never hit.
moving on to the trail leader package i put in. the Air lockers are nice. the instant lock and unlock really is convenient when needing to make turns shortly before and after obstacles and was highlighted by the fact that the 1 guy i ran with in a JLUR having a hard time getting his e lockers to unlock in spots that he needed to turn right away. As far as gearing the 4.88s are nice BUT i think 5.13s would be a better fit. i still like that i didnt not go that route due to tiny pinion size if the D44s but there were a few spots that i wished i had just a little more gear to stay off the clutch a little more. the 4.88s were plenty for 95% of the wheeling though (No clue how i tolerated the stock 4.10s in my old rubi :icon_crazy:)
my suspension choice turned out fantastic. the evo 2" front and OME med duty rear in my opinion is the perfect fit for a 2dr on 37s. helped me stay low enough to not feel like im gonna flop on the off camber stuff and i had PLENTY of articulation. My rear shocks are still a little short for the new springs so thats on the to do list still but overall i got great articulation and with the rancho 9000s set to 3 it was a very comfortable ride.
about the only thing i struggled with, and i figured i would, is the steering. trying to push those 37s deep in the rocks there is just no way with the stock steering. it was most noticeable in the golden crack when the steering wheel was being pulled out of my hand and i could not turn the wheel at all and to not risk braking something i kinda just had to let the wheels turn where they wanted to go. there were a few times it happened to me and was a little frustrating but with my current steering set up the hydro assist ram will not fit. I also cut the ram bracket off already so until i get to addressing big steering mods its just gonna have to stay the way it is.

I think thats it! overall it was a great trip and all of my time and money building this thing up really payed off. if i had someone more experienced with me i would have pushed it a bit harder but i was a great first real shake down of the new rig and i cant wait to push it more and more.

Glad to hear you had a good time and that your Jeep did better than expected! 👍 The 2 doors are really awesome on the trails... With my old setup on 35s, there wasn't anywhere I couldn't follow the 4 doors albeit with a little more work sometimes. The couple times I've wheeled with the new suspension mods and 37s, it's been flat out amazing and I can't wait to get out to some other places that will really put it through the paces.

I'm with you on the steering. That's probably going to be my next major upgrade. I have been considering hydro, but I'm leaning more towards a big bore box now because I don't really want that one more thing to worry about breaking on the trail. I'm thinking that with 37s on a 2 door, the bigger steering box should be more than adequate.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Awesome recap! Sounds like you had a great time. Any pictures?!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I have been posting recap pics on my moab trip thread but I will post some of the highlights on this one too probably in the next day or 2.
Glad to hear you had a good time and that your Jeep did better than expected! 👍 The 2 doors are really awesome on the trails... With my old setup on 35s, there wasn't anywhere I couldn't follow the 4 doors albeit with a little more work sometimes. The couple times I've wheeled with the new suspension mods and 37s, it's been flat out amazing and I can't wait to get out to some other places that will really put it through the paces.

I'm with you on the steering. That's probably going to be my next major upgrade. I have been considering hydro, but I'm leaning more towards a big bore box now because I don't really want that one more thing to worry about breaking on the trail. I'm thinking that with 37s on a 2 door, the bigger steering box should be more than adequate.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
When I had my old 4 dr on 37s one of my buddies had a 2dr on 33s and it would amaze me how he would keep up with everything I was doing. Only thing he didnt ever attempt was some of the really big steep ledges but he did every trail I did and it was kinda the inspiration for me getting a 2dr this round to try it out and I'm glad I did!

In regards to steering there was a few times that I felt like if I held on to the steering wheel any longer with the force i had on it, all of my greatest fear of a broken sector shaft would come true. But its gonna take a while before I have the time and money to put in a big steering upgrade. Especially because my drag link in the stock location hit the hydro bracket on my PR44 so I'd need to do a DL flip then get a new bracket welded THEN buy all the hydro stuff so I'll just be careful for now Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

When I had my old 4 dr on 37s one of my buddies had a 2dr on 33s and it would amaze me how he would keep up with everything I was doing. Only thing he didnt ever attempt was some of the really big steep ledges but he did every trail I did and it was kinda the inspiration for me getting a 2dr this round to try it out and I'm glad I did!

In regards to steering there was a few times that I felt like if I held on to the steering wheel any longer with the force i had on it, all of my greatest fear of a broken sector shaft would come true. But its gonna take a while before I have the time and money to put in a big steering upgrade. Especially because my drag link in the stock location hit the hydro bracket on my PR44 so I'd need to do a DL flip then get a new bracket welded THEN buy all the hydro stuff so I'll just be careful for now Haha

Yeah, there are times when I wish the wheel base was a smidge longer for the ledges - LJ length is perfect, I think - but for the most part, you really can't beat the capability and fun of a 2 door. The steering radius can't be beat for sure. 👍 An 8" stretch is possibly on my wish list of future mods.

I know what you mean about the sector shaft... My stock box has been leaking for over a year and bleeds pretty good when locked into the rocks. However, I've found if I don't try and turn too hard while not moving and let her go where she wants until she frees herself everything works out for the best. 😎

--

Yeah, there are times when I wish the wheel base was a smidge longer for the ledges - LJ length is perfect, I think - but for the most part, you really can't beat the capability and fun of a 2 door. The steering radius can't be beat for sure. 👍 An 8" stretch is possibly on my wish list of future mods.

I know what you mean about the sector shaft... My stock box has been leaking for over a year and bleeds pretty good when locked into the rocks. However, I've found if I don't try and turn too hard while not moving and let her go where she wants until she frees herself everything works out for the best. 😎

--

depending on where life takes me i would love to keep this jeep around for the long haul and eventually put it on full floats and a 10" stretch kinda like the vengence build but that will have to be a ship it off to a shop and fork out the money for a total overhaul thats way out of my skill level. something that is the perfect in between a 2dr and 4dr on 37-40s would be the dream but for now this is going to be able to handle the majority of what i throw at it. My wife was never into the off roading thing and in her mind she likes tooling around the mtns will cool views and hiking with our dog. So in order for me to go out and do the hard core stuff i really want to do with it im gonna have to get in with some jeep clubs or find some people to wheel with that have the same goals in mind.

depending on where life takes me i would love to keep this jeep around for the long haul and eventually put it on full floats and a 10" stretch kinda like the vengence build but that will have to be a ship it off to a shop and fork out the money for a total overhaul thats way out of my skill level. something that is the perfect in between a 2dr and 4dr on 37-40s would be the dream but for now this is going to be able to handle the majority of what i throw at it. My wife was never into the off roading thing and in her mind she likes tooling around the mtns will cool views and hiking with our dog. So in order for me to go out and do the hard core stuff i really want to do with it im gonna have to get in with some jeep clubs or find some people to wheel with that have the same goals in mind.
Lol. Same... My wife's not a huge fan either. 🤣

Yeah, Vengeance is one of my inspirations as well. By the time that possibility comes around, I'll have hopefully learned how to weld and have a shop with a lift. 😎

Wish you were closer. I'd love to hit the rocks with you some day. 🍻

--

Question for you... How do you have your front sway bar set? I picked up some adjustable links today because mine are for sure too short but I'm reading too many posts and my head is swimming.

Is a 5-10° upward angle good for our shock length?

--
I was able to dig up some pictures. I don't have actual measurements of the links and I am not gonna be home for a while but here is ride height and full drop

tapatalk_1538609339937.jpeg

tapatalk_1538609345220.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Subscribed. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into your build thread. I learned quite a bit from your experiences.

I'm on a similar path albeit a few years behind. Saving up for the trail leader package next year since I'm still in a D30, unlocked, and 3.21 gears...uggg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom