12' Gecko Build

desertrunner

Are there not any pictures on the directions?
The directions are actually really good, not once did I not know how it was supposed to go together. It's just a ton of pieces to put together with a crap ton of bolts and nuts and washers.
Technically I could have ordered it assembled but I didn't want to wait the extra 2 weeks for that haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Got it all put together and mounted on the top. Part of me was wanting to also use the rack to hoist the hard top off to my rafters but I'm not so sure I want to hang it from only those 1/4" holes drilled though the top

rubiDave

Got it all put together and mounted on the top. Part of me was wanting to also use the rack to hoist the hard top off to my rafters but I'm not so sure I want to hang it from only those 1/4" holes drilled though the top

Nice job! The rack mounting plates and internal backbone system distribute the loads really good and act like a clamp, so those holes you drilled really aren't supporting the weight. Just make sure all the hardware is torqued good, and check them occaisionally- especially those 6mm screws that attach the rack legs to the mounting plates.
I've been using my rack to hoist the top off for a while now. But I don't leave it suspended by the rack, I use ratchet straps to suspend it from underneath.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
The directions are actually really good, not once did I not know how it was supposed to go together. It's just a ton of pieces to put together with a crap ton of bolts and nuts and washers.
Technically I could have ordered it assembled but I didn't want to wait the extra 2 weeks for that haha

Oh hahaha well I’m glad the instructions were good. I wouldn’t want to wait 2 weeks for them to put it together either. It looks good!

desertrunner

Nice job! The rack mounting plates and internal backbone system distribute the loads really good and act like a clamp, so those holes you drilled really aren't supporting the weight. Just make sure all the hardware is torqued good, and check them occaisionally- especially those 6mm screws that attach the rack legs to the mounting plates.
I've been using my rack to hoist the top off for a while now. But I don't leave it suspended by the rack, I use ratchet straps to suspend it from underneath.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
That makes sense to just lift it off then support it from the bottom, I have a dolly cart for it too but my wife doesn't like helping me lift it off, and now it's even heavier haha

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How did you seal the brackets on the top? I’m seriously considering one of these for a tent.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

How did you seal the brackets on the top? I’m seriously considering one of these for a tent.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
So I didn't use any sealer yet, all of the screw holes get a pad stuck to the underside of the backbone mounts and they are supposed to be water tight. Time will tell if that's true though. If I find them start to leak I was going to use some clear silicone around the bolt hols inside of the padding on the mount. I'll update ya if I notice it leaking, other write ups I have read say it doesn't leak though.
Looks good [emoji106] what’s the weight capacity? Looks solid with that internal bracket
The 2dr version is 220 the 4dr is 260. That's the dynamic loading max though I saw somewhere like 500 for static loading so as far as like a rooftop tent goes in theory it should work but not sure I would put 2 people up there.

desertrunner

While doing an oil change to get ready for the weekend I noticed a bit of an oil mess at the base of my driver side front shock. I snapped off that adjustable nob a while back but didn't really think much of it since it was set where I wanted anyway. The oil spot goes up to my axle tube but I doubt it's coming from there. The axle breather tube is clean half way up so doesnt look like it's coming from there. I pulled up the dust boot on the shock and the shaft is oily and I noticed a mark on shock shaft.
I wonder if I blew a seal or something on the shock making it leak.

It's still really dirty so I need to clean it up and watch for it again to see if I can track it down but my other front shock is clean wonder if my drivers side is shot. 20190828_130334.jpg 20190828_130706.jpg

desertrunner

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to my rear passenger shock, but haven't had the time to take it off to confirm. It shouldn't have anything to do with the adjuster breaking in yours, though.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
I broke the adjuster less than a week after I installed them measuring for bump stops haha so I figured it wasn't coming from there. The shaft being oily is the only odd thing I noticed along with that mark on the shaft.

Top Bottom