2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Check Engine Light on RubiCAT - P0306

Prime8

wayoflife said:
well, what really sucks is that we wanted to take her up to tahoe but now, we're second guessing that idea. it should be fine but, knowing that you have a problem like a bad head is hard to get out of your head if you know what i mean.

Do you know if this problem extends into the 2013's or have they caught and corrected the issue prior to release?

ncbmx64

Do you know if this problem extends into the 2013's or have they caught and corrected the issue prior to release?

I was told by my service manager that the problem is mostly in the early 2012 models but there is a few later build dates with the problem as well but not many, they had a bad cast and it caused some lifter bores to be out of spec. I would think they have the problem resolved since the people getting the head replaced no longer have the issue so the new heads aren't having any problems. I am currently waiting for my head to be replaced the dealer has the head in and now just waiting for a gasket which is on backorder as well. They did tell me it was ok to drive while they are waiting for the parts. I expressed concern about driving a vehicle that they know has a bad head and they told me it should be no problems just will have a tick.

Chairokey

ncbmx64 said:
I was told by my service manager that the problem is mostly in the early 2012 models but there is a few later build dates with the problem as well but not many, they had a bad cast and it caused some lifter bores to be out of spec. I would think they have the problem resolved since the people getting the head replaced no longer have the issue so the new heads aren't having any problems. I am currently waiting for my head to be replaced the dealer has the head in and now just waiting for a gasket which is on backorder as well. They did tell me it was ok to drive while they are waiting for the parts. I expressed concern about driving a vehicle that they know has a bad head and they told me it should be no problems just will have a tick.

I wonder what Qualifies as early models. Mine was born in march..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Boy that's just what I need.. Now I wonder if the waiting list depends on your location or if it's the same everywhere..

hard to say for sure but, it is my understanding that this is the case everywhere.

no. the problem has been fixed and isn't even a problem with 12's built after november of 2011.

from the research we've done, this is a problem with 2012's built before november of 2011. ours was built in september and, why we're not surprised that this is happening to us too. we were told that so long as the check engine light isn't flashing at us, we're fine to drive it as well.

I wonder what Qualifies as early models. Mine was born in march..

anything made before november 2011

ncbmx64

Yeah I have a Nov 11 build and I have heard of a couple issues with some some Jan and Feb builds as well. Seems like now they know its a problem and know the fix for it. I had to go in a few times and get the run around a little bit but they did finally order the head and hopefully it resolves the issue

Vudoo1

hard to say for sure but, it is my understanding that this is the case everywhere.

no. the problem has been fixed and isn't even a problem with 12's built after november of 2011.

from the research we've done, this is a problem with 2012's built before november of 2011. ours was built in september and, why we're not surprised that this is happening to us too. we were told that so long as the check engine light isn't flashing at us, we're fine to drive it as well.

anything made before november 2011

Makes me nervous. My 2012 is coming up to 11,000. 10,600 so far without any check engine lights. My rig was built in July of 2012, I think I received it off the factory truck in August.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but the only issue I have had is with the 1350 JE Reel shaft leaking. Jim Reel has looked at it himself but it still leaks. EVO put the rear shaft in first but then I took it to Rebel to check the leak. Slingers, yokes and seals have all been replaced a few times but there still is a slight leak. From what Rebel told me, they are working with Jim Reel and the 1350s. I guess they were machines 1/10 of an inch too far. Nothing the Chrysler warranty would cover.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Makes me nervous. My 2012 is coming up to 11,000. 10,600 so far without any check engine lights. My rig was built in July of 2012, I think I received it off the factory truck in August.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but the only issue I have had is with the 1350 JE Reel shaft leaking. Jim Reel has looked at it himself but it still leaks. EVO put the rear shaft in first but then I took it to Rebel to check the leak. Slingers, yokes and seals have all been replaced a few times but there still is a slight leak. From what Rebel told me, they are working with Jim Reel and the 1350s. I guess they were machines 1/10 of an inch too far. Nothing the Chrysler warranty would cover.

cut the dust shield off and run the flange without it. i don't know why reel puts those stupid things on now as they never used to but, they are the cause of your leak.

GCM 2

Good info, but.....

KrazyK on the other forum is much more entertaining than this boring pentastar engine stuff :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
KrazyK on the other forum is much more entertaining than this boring pentastar engine stuff :cheesy:

hey man, not all of us can be as cool as krazyk. looking cool while crusing the beach is hard work :cheesy:

Zambi

Well my jeep has the tick. Born in sept of 11 so guess I'm screwed. Gonna call the dealership tomorrow. See if they will just let me swap to a rubicon for all the hassle ;). Also the dealer told me I was only gonna have to change my oil every 8k miles. Why after 3.5k is my change oil light on? Any answers are appreciated

2012jkfng702

Well my jeep has the tick. Born in sept of 11 so guess I'm screwed. Gonna call the dealership tomorrow. See if they will just let me swap to a rubicon for all the hassle ;). Also the dealer told me I was only gonna have to change my oil every 8k miles. Why after 3.5k is my change oil light on? Any answers are appreciated
On the oil light, supposedly there is a sensor in the oil pan that detects when the oil needs to be changed. I asked my buddy at the dealership the same question. Basically he stated that because mine is off road and rock crawling the oil will have to be changed more frequently. Guessing 5 to 8 thousand is a dream unless you just drive on the Highway. Oh and how could you not comment on the dolphin getting worked by a unicorn??? You just ignored it like it didn't happen and went straight into an oil question :cheesy:

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
there!! now it's interesting - ya happy?? :D

You're just raring to go out on a limb today I see.

On another note, 2012's made after January 11 also have several design/engineering changes. I ran into that date too with fitment of some of the things I put on such as the JKS sector shaft brace. Just FYI.

MTG

Caught the Bug
bdmckenna said:
You're just raring to go out on a limb today I see.

On another note, 2012's made after January 11 also have several design/engineering changes. I ran into that date too with fitment of some of the things I put on such as the JKS sector shaft brace. Just FYI.

What changes?

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
The steering box came from a different vendor and as an example, when JKS made their bracket they designed it on a pre Jan 11 model. The new steering box is 3mm different in size. While that is not much the "bisket" would not match up to the sector shaft from the JKS bracket.

Then Garvin who's rear bumper I have, the bolt holes were a little off and it turned out to be the same type of issue. Jeep changed the factory hole location after Jan 11, again, only by a couple of mm.

My Warn front bumper also had very minor fitment issues.

Pilgrim55

10000 miles

I have 10000 miles on my 2012 jeep jk it was built on 8 2011 it it still possible to have this problem or do you think I will be OK?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 10000 miles on my 2012 jeep jk it was built on 8 2011 it it still possible to have this problem or do you think I will be OK?

honestly, i'm not sure. what i can tell you is that my dealership has said that they have seen it happen with as little as 4,000 miles but not beyond 30,000. of cousre, if this really becomes an across the board kind of thing, i'm sure an official TSB or recall will be issued.

Great..... I got that song stuck in my head at work Eddie.. F&*%$@! a dolphin:cheesy:

:cheesy: you can thank GCM 2 for that

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
honestly, i'm not sure. what i can tell you is that my dealership has said that they have seen it happen with as little as 4,000 miles but not beyond 30,000.
is it happening in other variations of the engine/models? If not, who is the mad man with 30K miles on his 2012 already?

Top Bottom