2013 Sahara build

WJCO

Meme King
With the Dana 30 how prone is it to failure with 5.13

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is a very small pinion gear size for that axle. So it will be a weak point and will likely break if you use your Jeep offroad over time. And if you're planning on running the 37s on it, it will likely break that much sooner.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there anything to help that, are there stronger gears like there are with axle shafts?

LOL!! In a word, NO. Even the whole idea of "stronger" axle shafts for the Dana 30 is even laughable. If you want to run 37's and intend to use your Jeep up in your neck of the woods, you NEED to run components that are BIGGER as that's what gives them strength. If you can't afford to upgrade or plan to upgrade, you really should consider running 35's.

Napalm

I agree with Eddie and what everyone else has been saying. Unless you see an absolute need, 35's will do just fine for the mild wheeler. I've never been on anything taller than a 35 and it's suited me well.

37's just pose too much risk on a Sport Dana 30. Just my opinion!

J

JKDream

LOL!! In a word, NO. Even the whole idea of "stronger" axle shafts for the Dana 30 is even laughable. If you want to run 37's and intend to use your Jeep up in your neck of the woods, you NEED to run components that are BIGGER as that's what gives them strength. If you can't afford to upgrade or plan to upgrade, you really should consider running 35's.

This.
The problem with the Dana 30 is that you really cannot build it very well.
If you add chromo shafts, you move the weak point to the ring/pinion.
If you run stock shafts, you'll break them. I broke 5 shafts/ujoints before swapping axles on 37s.
Granted I wheel the shit out of my rig.
Didn't break anything on 35's.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok, I have about 8k to spend what would y'all do

You gotta lot of options here. If you really want 37s, it's going to be hard to do it right with 8k. You've got the expense of tires/wheels, re-gearing the rear, the lift, and upgrading the front axle (with gears).

Now if you go 35s, you could probably do a budget boost, trim the fenders for free, wheels/tires, and upgrade the front axle. You still have to re-gear the rear though.

You also said this has to be a daily driver. 35s or 37s are going to kill your mpg no matter what.

caprob

I used a TeraFlex 4" lift and it works great. I do class 3s and no problems other than the from shaft boot tears and Chrysler gets $107 for it. Yes I have exhaust spacers but an aftermarket thinner shaft is the fix. Your bumpstops look too long but they are correct if you dont change fenders. Make sure you get rims with the correct amount of offset. I was EXTREMELY luck and for a set of MOPAR beadlocks. They're in big ddmand and hundreds of sets are on backorder. The Penzoil commercial has the same setup as me. Check it out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I used a TeraFlex 4" lift and it works great. I do class 3s and no problems other than the from shaft boot tears and Chrysler gets $107 for it. Yes I have exhaust spacers but an aftermarket thinner shaft is the fix. Your bumpstops look too long but they are correct if you dont change fenders. Make sure you get rims with the correct amount of offset. I was EXTREMELY luck and for a set of MOPAR beadlocks. They're in big ddmand and hundreds of sets are on backorder. The Penzoil commercial has the same setup as me. Check it out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome to WAL from back in the day! There's no pictures in this thread, so what are you talking about with the bump stops. And OP, I don't know of anyone here who would recommend a Teraflex 4 inch lift for what you are doing with your Jeep. This dude just came out of the woodwork on you.

J

JKDream

What you guys think of the g2 replacement axles? I get wholesale through 4wp...

They're not bad, but unless its a massive price difference I'd spend the extra little bit and buy from a more reputable brand.

**Assuming you are talking about housings.

WJCO

Meme King

That's a cheaper option (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4290-G2-Axles), but consider where the parts are made, who's building it for you, and what you plan on doing with the Jeep.

I myself would recommend Dyantrac as a better option, it is made 100% here in the USA, has outstanding customer service, will talk with you over the phone about all options and custom build your axle exactly for you, every axle built is inspected and measured over 100 times during the process prior to shipping to you, and the owner of the company started the company because he cares about parts that will last for his customers without breaking. With all that being said, an axle is expensive, if you're going to spend the money, why not spend it on the best and not have to worry about it. Again, it depends on what you're planning on doing with the Jeep.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Its probably been said in this thread but I'll say it anyway.

It's expensive to be cheap. Sacrifice some time without 37s, save some more money and do it right the first time.

Last edited:

jmatta33

So y'all would go with 35's, gear and lick the back and get the dynatrac 44,

If you want 37s, the Dynatrac is the way to go. If you want to save on the axle, run the 35s with the gearing suggested. I would even consider keeping an eye on craigslist for someone scrapping some Rubi axles for cheap. Not going to be as strong as the Dynatrac by any means but it will at least be an upgrade from the 30 and give you the option to run the gear ratio you want.

Top Bottom