2014 SEMA Switch Pros - AWARD WINNING PRODUCT

mastrcruse

Can someone that is more familiar with the SPOD explain why this is better? I've been looking at an SPOD and don't understand electric things much and like to know why this vs. an SPOD. I'd be most interested in if its "safer" and better for wiring purposes vs. the physical piece of each (already looks smaller).

onbelay

Can someone that is more familiar with the SPOD explain why this is better? I've been looking at an SPOD and don't understand electric things much and like to know why this vs. an SPOD. I'd be most interested in if its "safer" and better for wiring purposes vs. the physical piece of each (already looks smaller).

It is a more streamlined system, has more switches, has a smaller panel, and integrates the relay function.

I wish it had higher capacity; but I suppose it could be used to control relays and solenoids if you need more than 26A circuits (I do). Remember, circuits should be planned with 20% excess capacity...so don't try to directly power anything that draws more than 21A (e.g. an ARB compressor or some of the massive 50" LED bars with 10W Crees).

Also I am not sure how programmable it is. E.g. 3-way switch, momentary switch, ignition-switched, constant on, switched on by external source.

Sounds like a good product. We've been debating a custom build ever since the JKSwitch vanished, and this might work. Hoping for a higher capacity model, else we will have to use it for switching some relays.

JoseRubicon

It is a more streamlined system, has more switches, has a smaller panel, and integrates the relay function.
If the above could be explained it would answer the original question which I have too 😣. What is the difference of this and an SPOD system. Besides I do get you get more buttons.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I wish it had higher capacity; but I suppose it could be used to control relays and solenoids if you need more than 26A circuits (I do). Remember, circuits should be planned with 20% excess capacity...so don't try to directly power anything that draws more than 21A (e.g. an ARB compressor or some of the massive 50" LED bars with 10W Crees).

Also I am not sure how programmable it is. E.g. 3-way switch, momentary switch, ignition-switched, constant on, switched on by external source.

This ^^^

I was also told that all 8 outputs are overcurrent protected and no not need to be fused. They will shut off if the current exceeds the limit for .5 seconds or is shorted to ground. It does not hurt the mosfets. In case of an overcurrent or short circuit condition, the output will shut off and the switch indicator will flash 3 times indicating a fault.

The switches are fully programmable and the display model at SEMA showed how it could be used in all the ways you've mentioned.

As far as alternative icons go, I've been told they already have 30 more than what is shown on the sample sheet and are welcome to more ideas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If the above could be explained it would answer the original question which I have too . What is the difference of this and an SPOD system. Besides I do get you get more buttons.

One way to think about it is, it's the difference between analog and digital. You don't just get more buttons, they are fully programmable too. The Switch Pros is extremely compact, waterproof, doesn't need to use fuses or mechanical relays and has a 100% duty cycle. Of course, Switch Pros is also a stand up company unlike the owner of sPOD who I've busted trying to pimp his goods undercover by pretending to be just some joe blo - see link below:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Lol, papa spod (as he calls himself) is going to be hurting when this gets released.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so I've been getting a lot more people asking about the Switch-Pros switch panel and how it's different than an sPOD and so I did a follow up with them to get specifics. After speaking with the owner at length, this is what I can tell you.

1. The price for a Switch-Pros is only $479 vs. the $520 it'll cost you to get an sPOD with Bluetooth (additional $179) and illuminated switches.
2. Switch-Pro comes with 8 switches vs. the 6 you get with an sPOD.
3. Switch-Pro comes with Bluetooth built into the system standard - to get Bluetooth with an sPOD will cost you an additional $179.
4. The Switch-Pro panel and power module are extremely compact. The switch panel measures only 2" x 4" x .5" (excluding mounting tabs) and can be mounted just about anywhere in your Jeep... ANY Jeep of any model.
5. Switch-Pro is fully programmable. There's no need to physically change switches from on/off to mom or rewire for ignition to battery control.
6. Flash and strobe functions are programmable. Pressing the switch twice within 1 sec activates the flash or strobe function. Pressing the switch normal turns the output on normal. With the sPOD, you can only flash a switch through the Bluetooth app.
7. Switch-Pro current capacity is 100A - the sPOD is only 50A.
8. The Switch-Pro uses automotive grade Mosfets to switch the outputs which are monitored for overcurrent or a short circuit. No relays or fuses are needed. sPOD uses relays and fuses that are not sealed and can cause corrosion over time. This is especially true in cold climates where salt is used on the roads.
9. The Switch-Pro power module is mounted close to the battery and on a JK, it gets mounted on the firewall next to the battery. This is important to note as that reduces the length of the power lead wire and that is critical when it comes to high current applications. Voltage drops on the power wire can be high in a high current application and that will produce heat. The voltage drop on a power wire should be kept under 2% and the location of the Switch-Pro power module helps to make this possible.
10. The power module is fully sealed and rated for use under the hood and at a temperature as low as -40° C and as high as 125° C (257°F).
11. All connections on the Switch-Pro power module are made through a sealed automotive connector - The sPOD uses basic screw on terminals.

I hope that helps you all to see why the Switch-Pro is a superior product. :cool:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thank you for that information! Ill be deff be getting this if I ebd up needing a switch pannel.

Loading please wait....

BigPrince

Thanks for the info! My only question left is mounting places/options/etc that look best. Only example that I'm aware of we have so far is your pre-production one.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I apologize for the crappy phone pics. Going off of the provided dimensions it looks as though it will fit exactly were I want it too. :)
1415724088214.jpg
1415724067607.jpg

Loading please wait....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info! My only question left is mounting places/options/etc that look best. Only example that I'm aware of we have so far is your pre-production one.

Well, as you have seen, mounting one on a Daystar switch panel is probably the easiest option. Here's what the pre-production model I have looks like mounted on one.

main.php

main.php

main.php

All this is obsolete of course but, here's a shot of what the switches look like when they are on...
main.php

main.php

Other than using a Daystar panel, here are a few places that I had considered. This first one is to the left of the steering wheel just above the speaker and it would proably be a very easiest place to install one of these...
main.php

Or, you could install it just under the center console as shown.
main.php

Just behind the cup holders might work well too...
main.php

I have a Rock Hard Sport Cage and almost installed it here...
main.php

Heck, I even thought about installing it under the e-brake lever...
main.php

Being so small and light, you could easily install one on the plastic windshield header cover just above the rear view mirror like this too...
main.php

Oh so many options!! :crazyeyes:

Well, as you have seen, mounting one on a Daystar switch panel is probably the easiest option. Here's what the pre-production model I have looks like mounted on one.

Thats what I was thinking! Awesome :thumb: I also like the cage idea. I'm a little nervous about anything near the cup holders due to spillage.

Thanks for the pics

New Item added to my list!

Top Bottom