2014 SEMA Switch Pros - AWARD WINNING PRODUCT

spicoli

Good info. Thanks for all the posts on Pros/Cons. From what I have seen the sPODs are good quality, but I have my reservations and this SEMA announcement made me excited about this product.

I like the extra 2 switches, the smaller real estate the unit takes up, but I'm concerned on what to do about the ARB twin compressor.

ARB twin compressor draws 28A. Switch Pros #8 position switch can take 26A, all other switches are 17A. I'm not so hot with the electronics, can any of you guys offer up some help how I can run the Switch Pros set up? I would much rather run Switch Pros than sPOD (from my own personal experiences with spod)

Things I will want connected to it (total energy drawn at one time):
ARB twin compressor, two rigid sr-qs, winch (Zeon or 9.5cti), two rigid dually d2, single rigid 20" or 10" E2, rock lights (unsure what I would be doing here), CB power and an engine fan kill switch (for river crossings).
- At one time I could see running the CB, all the rigid lights (minus SR-Qs, they are reverse lights), or winch and the rigid Duallys. I could see running the ARB twin compressor with the rock lights on to help me see if I was going for a night run, but that won't even be half of the 100A potential.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

JAGS

Hooked
Okay, so I've been getting a lot more people asking about the Switch-Pros switch panel and how it's different than an sPOD and so I did a follow up with them to get specifics. After speaking with the owner at length, this is what I can tell you.

1. The price for a Switch-Pros is only $479 vs. the $520 it'll cost you to get an sPOD with Bluetooth (additional $179) and illuminated switches.
2. Switch-Pro comes with 8 switches vs. the 6 you get with an sPOD.
3. Switch-Pro comes with Bluetooth built into the system standard - to get Bluetooth with an sPOD will cost you an additional $179.
4. The Switch-Pro panel and power module are extremely compact. The switch panel measures only 2" x 4" x .5" (excluding mounting tabs) and can be mounted just about anywhere in your Jeep... ANY Jeep of any model.
5. Switch-Pro is fully programmable. There's no need to physically change switches from on/off to mom or rewire for ignition to battery control.
6. Flash and strobe functions are programmable. Pressing the switch twice within 1 sec activates the flash or strobe function. Pressing the switch normal turns the output on normal. With the sPOD, you can only flash a switch through the Bluetooth app.
7. Switch-Pro current capacity is 100A - the sPOD is only 50A.
8. The Switch-Pro uses automotive grade Mosfets to switch the outputs which are monitored for overcurrent or a short circuit. No relays or fuses are needed. sPOD uses relays and fuses that are not sealed and can cause corrosion over time. This is especially true in cold climates where salt is used on the roads.
9. The Switch-Pro power module is mounted close to the battery and on a JK, it gets mounted on the firewall next to the battery. This is important to note as that reduces the length of the power lead wire and that is critical when it comes to high current applications. Voltage drops on the power wire can be high in a high current application and that will produce heat. The voltage drop on a power wire should be kept under 2% and the location of the Switch-Pro power module helps to make this possible.
10. The power module is fully sealed and rated for use under the hood and at a temperature as low as -40° C and as high as 125° C (257°F).
11. All connections on the Switch-Pro power module are made through a sealed automotive connector - The sPOD uses basic screw on terminals.

I hope that helps you all to see why the Switch-Pro is a superior product. :cool:

But can it make breakfast for my kids before school? That would really be a time saver. :cheesy::cheesy:

In all seriousness, will this be available through retailers or just direct through Switch-Pros? Definitely plan on picking one up. :yup:

pvanweelden

Good info. Thanks for all the posts on Pros/Cons. From what I have seen the sPODs are good quality, but I have my reservations and this SEMA announcement made me excited about this product.

I like the extra 2 switches, the smaller real estate the unit takes up, but I'm concerned on what to do about the ARB twin compressor.

ARB twin compressor draws 28A. Switch Pros #8 position switch can take 26A, all other switches are 17A. I'm not so hot with the electronics, can any of you guys offer up some help how I can run the Switch Pros set up? I would much rather run Switch Pros than sPOD (from my own personal experiences with spod)

Things I will want connected to it (total energy drawn at one time):
ARB twin compressor, two rigid sr-qs, winch (Zeon or 9.5cti), two rigid dually d2, single rigid 20" or 10" E2, rock lights (unsure what I would be doing here), CB power and an engine fan kill switch (for river crossings).
- At one time I could see running the CB, all the rigid lights (minus SR-Qs, they are reverse lights), or winch and the rigid Duallys. I could see running the ARB twin compressor with the rock lights on to help me see if I was going for a night run, but that won't even be half of the 100A potential.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

You would need to use the Switch Pros as just the switch part, add a 12v 30amp relay for larger circuits like the ARB.
take the positive output of one of the switch pro channels to pin 86 on relay. Use pin 87 to feed the ARB positive wire. Then ground the relay with Pin 85, and run Pin 30 straight to the Positive on the battery with a 30 amp fuse inline.

BigPrince

You would need to use the Switch Pros as just the switch part, add a 12v 30amp relay for larger circuits like the ARB.
take the positive output of one of the switch pro channels to pin 86 on relay. Use pin 87 to feed the ARB positive wire. Then ground the relay with Pin 85, and run Pin 30 straight to the Positive on the battery with a 30 amp fuse inline.

Kinda hurts it's no relays selling point if that is the case... :bummed:

Charlie Mike

Okay, so I've been getting a lot more people asking about the Switch-Pros switch panel and how it's different than an sPOD and so I did a follow up with them to get specifics. After speaking with the owner at length, this is what I can tell you.

1. The price for a Switch-Pros is only $479 vs. the $520 it'll cost you to get an sPOD with Bluetooth (additional $179) and illuminated switches.
2. Switch-Pro comes with 8 switches vs. the 6 you get with an sPOD.
3. Switch-Pro comes with Bluetooth built into the system standard - to get Bluetooth with an sPOD will cost you an additional $179.
4. The Switch-Pro panel and power module are extremely compact. The switch panel measures only 2" x 4" x .5" (excluding mounting tabs) and can be mounted just about anywhere in your Jeep... ANY Jeep of any model.
5. Switch-Pro is fully programmable. There's no need to physically change switches from on/off to mom or rewire for ignition to battery control.
6. Flash and strobe functions are programmable. Pressing the switch twice within 1 sec activates the flash or strobe function. Pressing the switch normal turns the output on normal. With the sPOD, you can only flash a switch through the Bluetooth app.
7. Switch-Pro current capacity is 100A - the sPOD is only 50A.
8. The Switch-Pro uses automotive grade Mosfets to switch the outputs which are monitored for overcurrent or a short circuit. No relays or fuses are needed. sPOD uses relays and fuses that are not sealed and can cause corrosion over time. This is especially true in cold climates where salt is used on the roads.
9. The Switch-Pro power module is mounted close to the battery and on a JK, it gets mounted on the firewall next to the battery. This is important to note as that reduces the length of the power lead wire and that is critical when it comes to high current applications. Voltage drops on the power wire can be high in a high current application and that will produce heat. The voltage drop on a power wire should be kept under 2% and the location of the Switch-Pro power module helps to make this possible.
10. The power module is fully sealed and rated for use under the hood and at a temperature as low as -40° C and as high as 125° C (257°F).
11. All connections on the Switch-Pro power module are made through a sealed automotive connector - The sPOD uses basic screw on terminals.

I hope that helps you all to see why the Switch-Pro is a superior product. :cool:

Damn this thing is sexy! No doubt I'll be picking one up. And for what you get, what'a solid and fair price as well. Love it! :thumb:

spicoli

Yes, but this is 1 relay vs. 6-8. Also switch pro is water proof. While the sPOD sits high, in my old 4x4s I've had, I have been in rivers over the bonnet and I expect that to happen sometimes (hopefully rarely). With a sPOD i was going to buy a sPOD, then OTRATTW switches (spod switches are wasted), and have to do a little custom wiring to tie 1 set of LEDs to the dash lights to have them come on/off with the headlights so they wouldn't be on all the time if I forgot to push that little button. This system you program the backlight and ON-indicator lights for daylight (lights off) and night (lights on) brightness. it does this without tying into the CANBUS. all plug and play.

I will say one negative is the stickers IMO. While I am sure they hold well, they aren't as good as a laser etched switch like OTRATTW sells.

Thanks that is helpful. I'm a little curious why they didn't just make it have a the ability to hold a little more juice for the #8 switch to run the ARB twin off of it w/o relays.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This ^^^. Only, the relay comes with the ARB compressor.

Your new ARB compressor COMES WITH A RELAY that they want you to use. Just install it like their instructions state only use the Switch Pro instead of the switch that comes with the ARB kit.

onbelay

FYI it's a best practice to put a diode on the wire between relay pin 86 and the Switch-Pros (or any other switch for that matter). Relay coil field collapse can send a current back ("back emf") to the switch, potentially damaging it.

Edit: FYI the ARB wiring harness comes with diodes for that exact reason. We found this out the hard way after incorrectly connecting our ARB wiring harness' power leads and frying the diodes.

Last edited:

onbelay

Exactly, and it's a total waste of a 17A circuit to run a 200 milliamp relay. I wrote to the manufacturer told them how cool it would be if future versions of the product had two 30A circuits.

BigPrince

Your new ARB compressor COMES WITH A RELAY that they want you to use. Just install it like their instructions state only use the Switch Pro instead of the switch that comes with the ARB kit.

Well then problem solved :) I need to buy both and didn't know that myself.

JKU EXTREME

Is there a link because I haven't found the website, I found it a year ago but since then it has been nearly impossible.

Top Bottom