2014 SEMA Switch Pros - AWARD WINNING PRODUCT

JoseRubicon

Okay, so I've been getting a lot more people asking about the Switch-Pros switch panel and how it's different than an sPOD and so I did a follow up with them to get specifics. After speaking with the owner at length, this is what I can tell you.

1. The price for a Switch-Pros is only $479 vs. the $520 it'll cost you to get an sPOD with Bluetooth (additional $179) and illuminated switches.
2. Switch-Pro comes with 8 switches vs. the 6 you get with an sPOD.
3. Switch-Pro comes with Bluetooth built into the system standard - to get Bluetooth with an sPOD will cost you an additional $179.
4. The Switch-Pro panel and power module are extremely compact. The switch panel measures only 2" x 4" x .5" (excluding mounting tabs) and can be mounted just about anywhere in your Jeep... ANY Jeep of any model.
5. Switch-Pro is fully programmable. There's no need to physically change switches from on/off to mom or rewire for ignition to battery control.
6. Flash and strobe functions are programmable. Pressing the switch twice within 1 sec activates the flash or strobe function. Pressing the switch normal turns the output on normal. With the sPOD, you can only flash a switch through the Bluetooth app.
7. Switch-Pro current capacity is 100A - the sPOD is only 50A.
8. The Switch-Pro uses automotive grade Mosfets to switch the outputs which are monitored for overcurrent or a short circuit. No relays or fuses are needed. sPOD uses relays and fuses that are not sealed and can cause corrosion over time. This is especially true in cold climates where salt is used on the roads.
9. The Switch-Pro power module is mounted close to the battery and on a JK, it gets mounted on the firewall next to the battery. This is important to note as that reduces the length of the power lead wire and that is critical when it comes to high current applications. Voltage drops on the power wire can be high in a high current application and that will produce heat. The voltage drop on a power wire should be kept under 2% and the location of the Switch-Pro power module helps to make this possible.
10. The power module is fully sealed and rated for use under the hood and at a temperature as low as -40° C and as high as 125° C (257°F).
11. All connections on the Switch-Pro power module are made through a sealed automotive connector - The sPOD uses basic screw on terminals.

I hope that helps you all to see why the Switch-Pro is a superior product. :cool:

Thanks for the information Eddie!

skyefalcon6

Glad to hear about this new product. I recently gave up saving the $500-odd amount for spod and having a fellow club member who specializes in electrical stuff build me a relay box for a great price. It should be a great stand-in while the bugs get worked out of the new switch pro product (there's always something).

Also thanks for the write-up on differences between the spod and switch pro. Very useful.

RedRockJeeper

Leave it to Eddie to find this totally cool and simple alternative to the SPOD. Could not have come at a better time because with current CB mounted on an ARR mount there is very little room to access a SPOD. Thanks Eddie, for always being on the lookout...:clap2:

webbie44

Photos of the backside of the switch panel? Photos of the cable or wiring connecting the switch panel to the light connection module? Photos of the wiring connecting the module to the battery? Not much info on the switch pro website yet and apparently not available for purchase yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Photos of the backside of the switch panel?

Welcome to WAYALIFE. You know, you could try being a little more polite being that this is your very first post. To answer your questions, I didn't take a pic of the back of the switch panel because there is nothing there - just a one tiny wire coming out of it.

Photos of the cable or wiring connecting the switch panel to the light connection module?

Not 100% sure what exactly you're asking but, the switch panel connects to the control module with a single wire. All the accessories that you wish to attach to it is shown in the photos posted.

Photos of the wiring connecting the module to the battery?

The single large red wire on the right of the module goes directly to the battery.

Not much info on the switch pro website yet and apparently not available for purchase yet.

If you took the time to read, you'd see that there's quite a bit of info posted on this thread and that "these should be available by the end of the year". :rolleyes2:

jeeeep

Hooked
waiting for these to be ready for order...it's my Jeep Xmas present ... Jeeps are on the same level as pets no??? :thumb:

webbie44

I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just interested in more info and photos of the switch pro device. I am saving my $$ to buy and customize what will be my 10th (and probably last) Jeep. I am waiting now for the 2016 model since it will be the 75th anniversary of Jeep. I am researching now all the potential products I might use in modifications. I had checked out the info on the new version of sPod coming in 2015 and then found the info regarding the switch pro on this site which generated my interest. I am obviously in no hurry just thought I could get more info if it was available. I have read all the info in this thread regarding the device but when saw the photos of the device installed, I was hoping you had other photos from other angles. I also checked out the switch pro website, but as I said previously, not a lot of info there right now. I will check other websites and forums for info. Thanks for responding.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just interested in more info and photos of the switch pro device. I am saving my $$ to buy and customize what will be my 10th (and probably last) Jeep. I am waiting now for the 2016 model since it will be the 75th anniversary of Jeep. I am researching now all the potential products I might use in modifications. I had checked out the info on the new version of sPod coming in 2015 and then found the info regarding the switch pro on this site which generated my interest. I am obviously in no hurry just thought I could get more info if it was available. I have read all the info in this thread regarding the device but when saw the photos of the device installed, I was hoping you had other photos from other angles. I also checked out the switch pro website, but as I said previously, not a lot of info there right now. I will check other websites and forums for info. Thanks for responding.

LOL!! Never said that you were "trying" to be rude - just that you could try to be "more polite" as clearly, you were being rude.

Please do check other websites and forums and maybe while you're at it, just stay there. :yup:

JKWrang

Um. If Jeep has been out since 1942 wouldnt the 2017 be the 75th anniversary? Just a thought. Or did he mean the 2017 as available in end year 2016.... :thinking:

webbie44

Um. If Jeep has been out since 1942 wouldnt the 2017 be the 75th anniversary? Just a thought. Or did he mean the 2017 as available in end year 2016.... :thinking:

Not trying to be argumentative with you but I believe 1941 was the early beginnings of Jeep. The passenger side grab bar handle on the current JK models has "Since 1941" embossed on the trim piece. But if I am interpreting that wrong then I am painfully waiting on the 2016 model year for nothing...don't think I could wait until 2017 model year.

Happy Jeepin to all!

JKWrang

Not trying to be argumentative with you but I believe 1941 was the early beginnings of Jeep. The passenger side grab bar handle on the current JK models has "Since 1941" embossed on the trim piece. But if I am interpreting that wrong then I am painfully waiting on the 2016 model year for nothing...don't think I could wait until 2017 model year.

Happy Jeepin to all!

So im retarded.... LMAO

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting switches, kinda look like they stole some of their idea from wired hdh

:cheesy: "stole"? Really?? That's a pretty big word to use especially being there are just so many ways you can make a "switch". How about you back that up with proof of patents, dates and awards that SEMA has given Wired HDH before you go around throwing slanderous terms like "stole" :naw:

Oh, and just so it's clear, I like the Wired HDH switch panel and have recommended it time and time again in the past as being a BETTER solutions than an sPod.

RubiHB

I agree. Programmable switches like that are nothing new. They have been around for a very long time so no one stole anything. Just applying it to the off road scene now I guess.

Knowing what's in it, too steep for me. I'd make one for myself,(about $40 in parts) but I am a much bigger fan of a simple relay swap when it poops out, or even a swap of the 87 or 87A pins to make things work. Much better in my mind after spending 4 years on the tech bench changing out hundreds of MOSFETS with the best of over current and shorting protection schemes applied. I've replaced a crap ton of relays too, but they don't take out other stuff too as they let out the magic smoke.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
This looks sweet! Just in time too, found this thread about 2 hrs after putting the sPod on the Christmas wish list to the girlfriend. Guess I'll have to edit it. ;)

jeepguy2014

:cheesy: "stole"? Really?? That's a pretty big word to use especially being there are just so many ways you can make a "switch". How about you back that up with proof of patents, dates and awards that SEMA has given Wired HDH before you go around throwing slanderous terms like "stole" :naw:

Oh, and just so it's clear, I like the Wired HDH switch panel and have recommended it time and time again in the past as being a BETTER solutions than an sPod.

I think I was joking stating that it looked like they stole SOME of the ideas from wired HDH.

Sc741

Exactly, and it's a total waste of a 17A circuit to run a 200 milliamp relay. I wrote to the manufacturer told them how cool it would be if future versions of the product had two 30A circuits.

It would require the unit to be much larger and heat sink as well. Spods work just fine and the typical user would not know the difference between a solid state unit and one that uses traditional relays. Unless you have the need to really program the units often, a switch is a switch and power is power for what we are using them for.
I have had an spot for many years and never have had a problem. I even tried to talk that spot guy into a solid state unit years ago. I used to use solid state in my fire truck designs. For a lot of one off custom programming solid state multiplex systems they are great especially when you get up to nearly 300 circuits. Plug your laptop in and program away.

I like this unit. The power node could use a weather proof connector though to better complete the package and a custom mount for Jeeps. Finally someone is using current technology in a package that might work in the Offroad community.

sc_rhino

It was interesting to see on Facebook spod has come up with something very similar with switch pros. Even 8 switches too.

Top Bottom