35 on stock tire carrier

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Actually, I would say the stock bumper "helps". 35" tire is always not A true"35"'s" so it helps to keep the tire from moving and vibrating.

yes i would agree with this. the stock bumper will actually help hold and isolate the tire on the stock carrier paired with the longer isolators better than just the isolators alone.

pedroj14

I ran Nittos Trail Grapplers with stock isolators that did not touch my tire. Rattling of the tailgate/carrier became scary at around 20K miles. I would run it but plan to upgrade

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I have been running a 35" tire on my factory carrier for about 4 years.

When I removed my rear bumper recently it developed a rattle in the tailgate since it was no longer resting on the bumper.

After talking with a friend I went home and welded this together to slide in the trailer hitch and allow the tire to rest on it relieving some weight off the tailgate.

Now I can bomb down dirt roads and there's no rattle at all!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421279140.253023.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421279166.802420.jpg

I think most people realize there's no such thing as a "true 35," or any other "true" size for that matter. Tire sizes are only a classification to allow comparison and check for fit, but they aren't an actual measurement. Even if they did all measure 35" diameter before being mounted, when you take into account different wheel widths for mounting them, tire pressure and the weight of the vehicle, the diameter would have changed too much to make that an accurate measurement anyway.

I agree that as long as the tire is only resting on the bumper it may actually help reduce vibrations, but if it causes too much pressure on the bumper it could actually be more of a problem than help (causing stresses to be transferred to the upper part of the tire carrier, problems closing the tailgate, etc). That's why I'd want to actually see pics or hear from someone who's done this.

:worthless:

See post #7 before you say worthless , that is of course if you can read!

Srainesrubi

I ran a 35 on my stock carrier for 38,000 miles. Now a 37" for 5,000 miles with NO problems at all!

How did you get around the third brake light? I tried to put my 35" duratrac spare on and it wouldn't fit because of the light. In thinking I might just cut it off but would like some alternatives.

BlackHawk08jk

How did you get around the third brake light? I tried to put my 35" duratrac spare on and it wouldn't fit because of the light. In thinking I might just cut it off but would like some alternatives.

I cut mine off right at the bottom. I think it looks better without it. That's just my opinion though.

07JKSahara

I cut mine then reattached it down low, basically right off the flat part. Now it shines through the rim... You'll also be amazed how much better you can see without that stupid light in the way.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421383630.548032.jpg

Coloradan

I wired up a custom 3rd brake light with a dust shield and some LEDs to shine through my wheels.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421423527.288139.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421423543.509750.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421423561.874059.jpg

Coloradan

Man thats killer looking. I may have to look into that. What kinda leds are those?

I actually got them from Oracle Lighting, they sell them as under glow lights. I have 3 more (they accidentally mailed me a full set) so let me know if you want one!

Tree Frog

That is just wicked looking. Reminds me of looking up the exhaust of a jet taking off in full afterburner. :thumb:

Coloradan

Do you have a write up on how you did this ? If not can you share a little more info on how you did this. I think it looks great. Also what kind of tire carrier is that, looks like it's off of the stock bumper.

Sure thing! I started by cutting the wires to the stock 3rd brake light after the connector that is in the tailgate, pretty close to the light. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456081.179873.jpg
The new light is made from an Oracle Lighting light that is meant to attach to brake shields and give cars a Tron-like effect. I called and ordered 1, but they sent me a full set of 4. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456312.159653.jpg
The hoop itself was a little big for an ATX Slab (the light wouldn't have shined through the holes in the wheel), so I had to shorten the aluminum ring with tin snips and pop rivet it back together to the size I wanted. With my AEV tire carrier, I didn't have a mounting point for the brackets they sent me, so I bought a brake dust shield from my dealership for a couple dollars. The kit comes with L brackets and mounting hardware, but I chose to use the aluminum rivets.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456617.295555.jpg
The next step was to wire up the LED strip to the original tail light wires.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456693.602952.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456714.575819.jpg
The brake shield sandwiches between the wheel and the tire carrier to hold the LEDs in place. The lights can't be seen when the light isn't illuminated.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456848.431106.jpg
But it looks pretty good when lit up!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456905.716790.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456925.438674.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456959.614054.jpg
Let me know if I can help you with anything else, I still have a couple rings left too.

Xodius

Banned
I actually used some pcv pipe cut then out end caps on, painted black and stuffed them in the isolators. Keep it like that for a few years and last year upgraded to a teraflex hinge.

Top Bottom