35 on stock tire carrier

jeeeep

Hooked
Sure thing! I started by cutting the wires to the stock 3rd brake light after the connector that is in the tailgate, pretty close to the light. View attachment 119720
The new light is made from an Oracle Lighting light that is meant to attach to brake shields and give cars a Tron-like effect. I called and ordered 1, but they sent me a full set of 4. View attachment 119721
The hoop itself was a little big for an ATX Slab (the light wouldn't have shined through the holes in the wheel), so I had to shorten the aluminum ring with tin snips and pop rivet it back together to the size I wanted. With my AEV tire carrier, I didn't have a mounting point for the brackets they sent me, so I bought a brake dust shield from my dealership for a couple dollars. The kit comes with L brackets and mounting hardware, but I chose to use the aluminum rivets.
View attachment 119723
The next step was to wire up the LED strip to the original tail light wires.
View attachment 119725
View attachment 119727
The brake shield sandwiches between the wheel and the tire carrier to hold the LEDs in place. The lights can't be seen when the light isn't illuminated.
View attachment 119731
But it looks pretty good when lit up!
View attachment 119732
View attachment 119733
View attachment 119734
Let me know if I can help you with anything else, I still have a couple rings left too.

That's a great idea and easy!

thanks for the write-up, I'm going to plan on this when I get my BFG KO2's in March- I hope BFG ships in the timeframe they have posted on the website.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I just put a couple of washers on the bottom bolt to angle the spare alittle bit so it just touches the bumper without putting pressure on the top, there are no issues with the brake light.

Coloradan

That's a great idea and easy!

thanks for the write-up, I'm going to plan on this when I get my BFG KO2's in March- I hope BFG ships in the timeframe they have posted on the website.

I hope they ship on time too! Can't wait to see how yours turns out :)

Rccrwlr

Sure thing! I started by cutting the wires to the stock 3rd brake light after the connector that is in the tailgate, pretty close to the light. View attachment 119720
The new light is made from an Oracle Lighting light that is meant to attach to brake shields and give cars a Tron-like effect. I called and ordered 1, but they sent me a full set of 4. View attachment 119721
The hoop itself was a little big for an ATX Slab (the light wouldn't have shined through the holes in the wheel), so I had to shorten the aluminum ring with tin snips and pop rivet it back together to the size I wanted. With my AEV tire carrier, I didn't have a mounting point for the brackets they sent me, so I bought a brake dust shield from my dealership for a couple dollars. The kit comes with L brackets and mounting hardware, but I chose to use the aluminum rivets.
View attachment 119723
The next step was to wire up the LED strip to the original tail light wires.
View attachment 119725
View attachment 119727
The brake shield sandwiches between the wheel and the tire carrier to hold the LEDs in place. The lights can't be seen when the light isn't illuminated.
View attachment 119731
But it looks pretty good when lit up!
View attachment 119732
View attachment 119733
View attachment 119734
Let me know if I can help you with anything else, I still have a couple rings left too.

This is something I haven't see before! Very cool

Coloradan

Do you have a write up on how you did this ? If not can you share a little more info on how you did this. I think it looks great. Also what kind of tire carrier is that, looks like it's off of the stock bumper.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422303387.349534.jpg
This the best shot of how the metal and light came back together after shortening the ring.

TJ905

Just my 0.02 here but I have read hanging 35" tire on the stock carrier is fine on the road. However when wheeling or prolonged use on bumpy roads can wreak havoc on the pinch welds and hinges for the tailgate. I have carried my spare on the factory carrier but will not when wheeling. Waiting on a proper rear bumper with carrier.

el_chupo_

Bumping this back up - I bought the stoppers Clark posted about, but they do not sit snug against the tire.

I dont want to go DayStar due to the number of bad reviews. Is something like radiator hose my best option?

Last edited:

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Bumping this back up - I bought the stoppers, but they do not sit snug against the tire.

I dont want to go DayStar due to the number of bad reviews. Is something like radiator hose my best option?

I run the Daystars without issue. At one point I had them on my last jk pre-tire carrier. I had trimmed them for a 12" tire on 4.5" backspacing. I'm cheap so I didn't toss them when I got a tire carrier.

Anyway, new JK and sold the tire carrier. Found the Daystars in the garage and glued the pieces I trimmed back together. Now running a 12.5" tire on 3.25" backspacing with no issues.

jks79

Here is the solution I came up with. Found the part at Lowes.

Attachments

• 1428708613572.jpg
    1428708613572.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 1428708622681.jpg
    1428708622681.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 1428708630655.jpg
    1428708630655.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 296

joshuaj21

I picked up the daystars as well, but as I've come to find out, they changed materials some time ago and now are made from some cheap soft spongy stuff, painted it black and stamped it like the old ones. Installed my 315/70R17 today (put the spare tire ext bracket on) and the daystars definitely contact but they are so flimsy it seems like they don't help stabilize at all. I will be going back to my stock bumpers and adding the solid rubber hose as an adapter, no doubt about it! Thanks for the info on that!

Frost

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I didn't find my answer reading through it all.

I have 35/12.50/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, on the stock JK wheels, and want to put my spare on the stock carrier.
I don't have the money right now for an aftermarket tire carrier, but I would only be putting it on the stock carrier until I have the funds to upgrade.

The 35 on the stock wheel doesn't have enough backspacing to fit on the stock carrier. Can i use a wheel spacer on the stock carrier, and if so what width would I want?

Right Rudder

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I didn't find my answer reading through it all.

I have 35/12.50/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, on the stock JK wheels, and want to put my spare on the stock carrier.
I don't have the money right now for an aftermarket tire carrier, but I would only be putting it on the stock carrier until I have the funds to upgrade.

The 35 on the stock wheel doesn't have enough backspacing to fit on the stock carrier. Can i use a wheel spacer on the stock carrier, and if so what width would I want?

What sticking point prevents it from fitting? Only thing I've taken off is the plastic rear bumper and I've got the exact same wheel/tire combo otherwise. no spacer.

Top Bottom