A comparison for coilovers vs rear cantilever from those that know.

A.J.

The Genright setup is really pretty awesome too. I especially like the flat belly concept. Moving the tank doesn't bother me so much as losing the space. If money wasn't the object and the jeep was only a toy I think it has some advantages. That said for the money your awfully close to building a buggy with a jeep body on it. I mean seriously I think you could sell your jeep, buy an aluminum tub and build it up for less. Hmmm. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

I would... but thatā€™s just me.
GenRight rear setup has 8 joints. Evo Lever has over 20 by my count. Now tell me which one has a greater chance of something happening?

IrishJK I am not happy with the control arms locations as they hang up on large obstacles and I need more articulation. I could easily swap out my front bolt on setup for the DTD but the lower control arm mounts would still be in the same location. Where as the GenRight kit all control arm locations front and rear and tucked up both at the axle mount and the frame mount. By using their cross members and eliminating the factory fuel tank I will gain approximately 3" of belly clearance allowing me to clear larger obstacles that would otherwise be an issue with my wheelbase. Again out back all control arm mounts are tucked up. In addition a double triangulated rear has no rear steer. In addition to hitting my rear control arms mounts I hit my bolt on coil over mounts since they hang below the axle. All these issues are addresses using the GenRight kit and I will gain 4" more travel in the rear.

RSQCON

...That said for the money your awfully close to building a buggy with a jeep body on it. I mean seriously I think you could sell your jeep, buy an aluminum tub and build it up for less. Hmmm.
Maybe someone can give me an exact figure but by my count the Evo DTD front, lever rear, high clearance long arms, skid plates and misc parts is around $12k. GenRight kit can be had right now for $13.5k.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
GenRight rear setup has 8 joints. Evo Lever has over 20 by my count. Now tell me which one has a greater chance of something happening?

IrishJK I am not happy with the control arms locations as they hang up on large obstacles and I need more articulation. I could easily swap out my front bolt on setup for the DTD but the lower control arm mounts would still be in the same location. Where as the GenRight kit all control arm locations front and rear and tucked up both at the axle mount and the frame mount. By using their cross members and eliminating the factory fuel tank I will gain approximately 3" of belly clearance allowing me to clear larger obstacles that would otherwise be an issue with my wheelbase. Again out back all control arm mounts are tucked up. In addition a double triangulated rear has no rear steer. In addition to hitting my rear control arms mounts I hit my bolt on coil over mounts since they hang below the axle. All these issues are addresses using the GenRight kit and I will gain 4" more travel in the rear.

Hmm, not sure what my front arm mounts would hit...but to each their own.
IMG_3314.JPG

Not doggin the Genright, itā€™s just a whole different animal than even an EVO DTD. Personally, the pros donā€™t outweigh the cons. If I were to ā€œneedā€ that far, Iā€™d go to Cortez, CO.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

I hit my front arms at the lower joint as well as the upper mount not to mention sliding on them. Again the GenRight kit moves everything up. That's not to say it will eliminate everything but IMO for the cost of the DTD you could have a better product at a marginal increase. I'm not saying the DTD or bolt on setups aren't good I'm just saying after wheeling my current Jeep for the past couple I have learned what I like and I think that Evo left room for improvement and GenRight is the next level.

A.J.

Maybe someone can give me an exact figure but by my count the Evo DTD front, lever rear, high clearance long arms, skid plates and misc parts is around $12k. GenRight kit can be had right now for $13.5k.

Yeah and that's just parts! Then the labor. So if you are capable of installing either kit yourself (welding and all) your probably capable of building a buggy. So for argument sake let's say your jeep is worth $30k. One tons are another $10-15k that's a $50k plus buggy parts only budget! Very interesting math. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

You did feel inclined to mention a ā€˜what if something breaksā€™ scenario in your list of reasons why you would go with Genright. Just saying...

Not to mention if you break an arm on a 3 link kit, youā€™re likely done for the day and headed home on a hauler unless you can make some kind of trail repair. Iā€™ll take the occasional bind and some of the so called downsides to a 4 link for the added insurance.

RSQCON

Backing up and trying a different line..... Priceless......
Gee thanks but that won't fix the short comings in Evo's design
Not to mention if you break an arm on a 3 link kit, youā€™re likely done for the day and headed home on a hauler unless you can make some kind of trail repair. Iā€™ll take the occasional bind and some of the so called downsides to a 4 link for the added insurance.
Same can be said for breaking a lot of other things.

Last edited:
Right... my bad.

Nah it was dark and a bit hectic so itā€™s easy to forget which one. I just wanted to help make the point you were trying make that Iā€™ll take the added insurance of a 4link any day over any so called benefits to a 3 link setup. Not only did they drive Moby off the trail, but also drove it all the way to EVO headquarters to get it swapped out. As Eddie always says, the power of redundancy.

Exodus 4x4

There is another option coming out that will be less expensive and in my opinion a better kit than GenRights. Donā€™t get me wrong, I like GenRight products and Iā€™m happy to sell them when someone asks, but the cost of that kit plus the install is crazy. They actually recommend you buy another frame to build it on and then swap the body over.

Check out Motobilts kit on Instagram and follow the progress. It should be available early next year.

Personally I love my EVO lever but I might be changing it out for a couple of reasons and none of those reason have to do with performance of the suspension itself. I will not be changing the front DTD and actually run it as a 3 link now.

Back to the OP. I think if you look around at what most of the rigs here are running youā€™re going to find that the majority of them trust EVO and for many good reasons. Canā€™t speak for Genrite or any others and I certainly canā€™t say that I know the nuances of the EVO DTD because admittedly, Iā€™m still on coils and shocks. But, I have been out to play with quite a few folks running the EVO DTD with EVO Lever and they have nothing but good things to say. Eddie has been running that setup on Moby and Rubicat for years, as are most of the bigger built rigs here and if they are speaking, Iā€™d listen. I have been thinking hard about this similar situation and for me and what we do, the EVO bolt on coilover kit is the best bang for your buck. I think a lot of folks running the DTD and EVO Lever are bombing through the desert and running big powerful V8ā€™s and the DTD in front gives them better control with the bigger engine and added HP. The best thing in my opinion is to do what I did, gather the info here and then call EVO directly. They will absolutely tell you exactly what is best and wonā€™t try and steer you in any direction. Good luck with the decision. Post up the build when you start putting her together regardless of what kit you go with.

Last edited:

ThatJeepGuy

So do you have to move the gas tank if you only do the coil over crossmember from gen right and not their whole kit? by using other arms wouldnā€™t that avoid the gas tank issues?correct me if Iā€™m wrong please. Just trying to visualize this better without crawling under the Jeep in the snow
IMG_9484.jpg
Picture for reference

RSQCON

Exodus I'll look it up. Thanks

Thanks WJCO that might be your only piece of advice I actually listen to :drunkbuds:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is another option coming out that will be less expensive and in my opinion a better kit than GenRights. Donā€™t get me wrong, I like GenRight products and Iā€™m happy to sell them when someone asks, but the cost of that kit plus the install is crazy. They actually recommend you buy another frame to build it on and then swap the body over.

Check out Motobilts kit on Instagram and follow the progress. It should be available early next year.

Personally I love my EVO lever but I might be changing it out for a couple of reasons and none of those reason have to do with performance of the suspension itself. I will not be changing the front DTD and actually run it as a 3 link now.

Yeah, Motobilt can suck a donkey dick.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-is-the-biggest-tool-in-the-industry-MOTOBILT

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - This thread is awesome. Always love hearing from the one guy who doesn't actually have a DTD like the OP had asked for but still talks shit about it like he has and all to prop up whatever he's convinced himself is better. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so I'll defer to him as being the expert in the matter. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom