A Place Where Faith in Humanity Still Exists

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like humanity exists in not only the Short Branch Saloon, but in the Oh household as well. Very very classy move Eddie and I'm sure he appreciated the gesture very much :thumb:

The guy was long gone by the time we got back but I'd be willing to bet he would have done the same thing. It was just that kind of a moment.

Awesome! Years ago I went to a place called High Plains Homestead in Nebraska. We wanted to stay but at the time they were booked. We went there because of the famous Indian tacos. So we settled on a very nice lunch After we ate I told the lady that we wanted to stay there but they have no rooms. She said you're in luck we do have one it's open if you want to check out. We told her absolutely we will stay here but we have to go back into town get out of a Super 8 we were in. Which was very nasty by the way. When it was time to pay for lunch we offered to put money down for room too. This place is way out there in the middle of nowhere by Toadstool National Park. She said no worries we can pay for the room and lunch when we come back. We ended up having an awesome steak dinner that evening and breakfast the next day. One night stay and three meals cost us $150.

Nice to hear there are more more good people out there. :yup:

That’s Awesome! reminds me of that free loading meal instagram post in the I hate eddie thread. [emoji1304]

:cheesy: I know, gotta be more careful about sharing experience like this :dont_tell:

Great story of the good old days, but it’s today! Refreshing with what’s going on today.
I want to see the meat loaf sandwich.

Man, you would have loved it. Too bad you won't be joining us on our next trip.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like now and days u have to go to decilation or towns far out to find people like that glad u were able to visit with her and me to i rarley keep cash on me and if i do it's in small amounts but i do keep a undisclosed amount in my security box under the seat along with my 9mm.

Fortunately, there are some of these places that are still around.

So when we going to make a run out there to pay her back and drink some of her whiskey? :)

You need to find time to join us first :crazyeyes:

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
If I ever end up 1800 miles west of hear and hungry I'll stop in and tell her Eddie sent me. Then I'll leave a healthy tip. How was the meatloaf sandwich? I love a good one

naysjp

Caught the Bug
1. I bet that was the BEST tasting whiskey you ever had(and meatloaf sandwich)

2. I bet you hide a few twenties in Moby after this trip "just in case".

Great story! Nice lady.

Last edited:

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Sooooo cool

Simple humanity, and the belief therein always comes from the most unlikely of places. This is a wonderful recounting of such an experience. Thank you for sharing such a great story of faith and humanity. You and Cindy are awesome.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I know the feeling. First time stopping at the Jiggs bar after work with coworkers we all ordered drink and they didn’t take cards. Luckily one coworker had a 20 on them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That’s an awesome story! I️ would love to live in a place like that lol

It seems like now and days u have to go to decilation or towns far out to find people like that glad u were able to visit with her and me to i rarley keep cash on me and if i do it's in small amounts but i do keep a undisclosed amount in my security box under the seat along with my 9mm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8dUPENLs70

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Thank you for sharing and the world need more people like you, Cindy and Miss Kathy. I try and help people as much as possible....pay it forward bc you should and also bc you never know when you might be in need of whatever help it may be yourself. The world needs more kindness and selflessness.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I bet to Miss Kathy it really was no big deal. Sounds like a great lady!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I ever end up 1800 miles west of hear and hungry I'll stop in and tell her Eddie sent me. Then I'll leave a healthy tip. How was the meatloaf sandwich? I love a good one

Honestly, the meatloaf sandwich was outstanding! It was served like a burger and came with a bag of chips. If you do ever make it out that way, I think you'd love it :yup:

That's an awesome story! Makes you wish everywhere was still like that. Good people and good company are what it's all about.

Sadly, I have a feeling that half the county wouldn't. Miss Kathy is probably what some would consider a "deplorable" :cheesy:

Fantastic story and I am glad you met her. This is what moves the world the way I see it.

Cindy and I try really hard to find and spend time at old saloons just like this. Most of the bar keeps are getting pretty old now and when they die, the bar and town often goes with it. Needless to say, we were super glad to meet her and hope to visit again and again in the near future. :yup:

1. I bet that was the BEST tasting whiskey you ever had(and meatloaf sandwich)

2. I bet you hide a few twenties in Moby after this trip "just in case".

Great story! Nice lady.

LOL!! Back in the day, my mom used to make me carry a dime with me just in case I needed to make an emergency call. Now, I'll definitely have to carry some cash along with my bottle jack and jumper cables - just in case :crazyeyes:

Simple humanity, and the belief therein always comes from the most unlikely of places. This is a wonderful recounting of such an experience. Thank you for sharing such a great story of faith and humanity. You and Cindy are awesome.

It is funny how a town known for prostitutes and drinking would be a place where we would find grace but then, this is Nevada :yup:

I know the feeling. First time stopping at the Jiggs bar after work with coworkers we all ordered drink and they didn’t take cards. Luckily one coworker had a 20 on them.

Love Jiggs! Always a great conversation with Debbie. :yup:

What a great lady! I can't help but wonder if the brothels would do the same if someone didn't have cash lol.

:shock: :cheesy: :crazyeyes:

That’s an awesome story! I️ would love to live in a place like that lol

I won't lie, the thought of buying one of these old saloons and scaling back does sound tempting from time to time :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for sharing and the world need more people like you, Cindy and Miss Kathy. I try and help people as much as possible....pay it forward bc you should and also bc you never know when you might be in need of whatever help it may be yourself. The world needs more kindness and selflessness.

It would be nice if more of the world were like this but the fact that it isn't makes moments like these, that much more special. At least to me anyway. :cool:

I would love to meet Miss Kathy someday!

I can assure you, you will :D

I bet to Crystal it really was no big deal. Sounds like a great lady!

Actually, Crystal is the town. Miss Kathy is the owner of the saloon and from what we had seen, it's something she does all the time. :yup:

Great story. Dare I ask - how was the mobile scenery?

It's the Nevada desert - one of my most favorite places to be. It's absolutely beautiful out there. :yup:

So, now that we know how good of an establishment it is.....how were the meatloaf sandwiches? :brows:

I love me a good meatloaf and there are some that are clearly better than others. For me personally, I prefer mine to be on the savory side as opposed to the sweet side and hers was definitely savory. As mentioned, it was served like a burger and tasted like something mom would make :yup:

Love stories like this. Makes you want to drive all the way over there just to order a drink and bring friends...and cash.

Believe me, we'll be doing it again and to do just that :yup:

That is an awesome adventure... those 2 shots of Whiskey look very delicious too boot!!

LOL!! They were serious pours for sure!! We ended up staying there a bit longer than we had planned just because of it :crazyeyes:

Encouraging that places like this still exist in the crazy world we live in today. They sure are hard to come by though. Thanks for sharing the great experience. I need to make it out there at some point in our lives and check out some of these awesome watering holes you’ve been sharing on here.

Top Bottom