AEV...pro's and con's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One thing is can i ditch the brackets w/ the AEV kit and go to something more rigid or higher to avoid issues later on ??

Yes, you can but by doing so, your suspension geometry will be off a bit. Not really a big deal but, it would be there unless you upgraded to a long arm kit.

I was also thinking about the Metalcloak ACA's all the way around anyway ! Hopefully a good choice . Im looking into the 392/6.4 VVT convers. also so im trying to do this right just once !!!

All I can say is that like AEV, they seem to do good marketing and sales pitching. If it were me and I were trying to do things right just once, I would stick with what I know works instead of going with something that sounds good. But, that's just me.

Rock-itman

Yes, you can but by doing so, your suspension geometry will be off a bit. Not really a big deal but, it would be there unless you upgraded to a long arm kit.

All I can say is that like AEV, they seem to do good marketing and sales pitching. If it were me and I were trying to do things right just once, I would stick with what I know works instead of going with something that sounds good. But, that's just me.

Thanx again ! I am a little skeptical about the new ends on the MC aca's . Iv been a TF fan of the arms and there monster track bar . Maybe ill look a while longer . Ill be doin some chopping and cutting when i do the HEMI install ,maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to do the long arms at the same time :idontknow: :thinking: Ill be in touch w/ you guys at Evo soon ! DANA

1BAMFR

I run .......

AEV Pintler beadlocks....love em
AEV Procal...works great
AEV corner guards...badass

I have contacted AEV several times and nothing but great customer service and friendly/helpful people.

JKBANDIT55

Is everyone with there hemi swap? Or to much money for what you get?

I dont have the Hemi swap in my JK but the GF did have tje Hemi in her old Grand Cherokee. When she had that I had my old 07 JK. And her hemi out performed my jk in speed and towing. It def had some pep in its step. We hauled my dads boat in my jeep once and it did horrible. So we used her jeep next time and it performed great. We did take her cherokee off road a few times and in 4LO you really cant tell much of a difference. Honestly, I think our JKs produce more than enough power and torque in 4LO. I dont see where a Hemi would help in anything off road besides desert running.

So I dont know if this helps you. Like I said, I dont have the Hemi swap in my JK so the only comparison I can give you is the one in my girls old jeep

jeffd

I was in AEV's R&D shop yesterday and all I can say is I wish I would win the lottery. Nice stuff and nice people.

Majik

I was also thinking about the Metalcloak ACA's all the way around anyway ! Hopefully a good choice .

Not to highjack the thread, but just curious as to everyone's opinions on these Metalcloak ACAs, as well...
I love innovation, and companies that think outside the box. From my experience with my Metalcloak bumpers, I was quite impressed with their workmanship. These ACAs seem to have addressed alot of important issues regarding a good control arm: vibration/harshness, adjustability, and especially, articulation. The articulation seems most important and their unique bushing seems at least smart without being stupidly complex.

Just seems like an interesting alternative if one would like to hold off on a long arm conversion but still emphasize articulation. (But I do still recognize the limitations)

What do you guys think?
:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to highjack the thread, but just curious as to everyone's opinions on these Metalcloak ACAs, as well...
I love innovation, and companies that think outside the box. From my experience with my Metalcloak bumpers, I was quite impressed with their workmanship. These ACAs seem to have addressed alot of important issues regarding a good control arm: vibration/harshness, adjustability, and especially, articulation. The articulation seems most important and their unique bushing seems at least smart without being stupidly complex.

Just seems like an interesting alternative if one would like to hold off on a long arm conversion but still emphasize articulation. (But I do still recognize the limitations)

What do you guys think?
:thinking:

What I can tell you is that they seem a bit gimmicky to me. Being that they're so new, it's anybodys guess as to how well they will really perform and last. Needless to say, I think the jury is out on any real insight and you might want to revisit the question in about a year or two. Until then, I'll stick with what I know works and works well - johnny joints.

Majik

What I can tell you is that they seem a bit gimmicky to me. Being that they're so new, it's anybodys guess as to how well they will really perform and last. Needless to say, I think the jury is out on any real insight and you might want to revisit the question in about a year or two. Until then, I'll stick with what I know works and works well - johnny joints.

I will agree... there's not a whole lot to complain about with a beefy Johnny Joint :) Just trying to educate myself and explore new stuff on the market...

Majik

You, know, after a little more digging on my part, it seems like their joint is basically a johnny joint that: 1. uses rubber instead of urethane as the bushing material, 2. has the bushing as one piece, formed around the 'ball' portion of the joint, and 3. has some slots notched into the bushing.

Basically, however, it's still a johnny joint. The downside I see is that the rubber bushing may be softer than urethane, but will be more prone to drying and cracking. It may theoretically allow a few more degrees of deflection just because urethane is firmer than a rubber bushing, but I bet durability might suffer.

Guess I answered part of my own question! :)

NMBruce

The AEV Heat Reduction Hood is awesome
The AEV ProCal is awesome
The AEV Snorkel is awesome
The AEV Jack Base is awesome
The AEV Front Bumper is by far the cleanest and nicest stamped steel bumper you can get
The AEV Rear Quarter Panel Armor is definetly one of the nicest you can buy and has the best factory fit
The AEV Rear Bumper is an odd match for the front bumper and while I don't get it, it's not bad
The AEV 2.5" lift is not bad and no worse than anything else in its class
The AEV 3.5" and 4.5" kits are way over priced for what little you really get

As you can see, the only grief you will see me give AEV is for the 3.5" and 4.5" lift kits they sell and not because it doesn't work, but rather, because all you're really paying for are a set of expensive dual rate coils and a bunch of relocation brackets that are even designed very well. I should note that this lift kit was actually designed by the now defunct company Nth Degree Mobility and why they choose to keep on selling it is beyond me. If you really want to go the drop bracket route, I would recommend a Rancho Sport kit instead as it's similar in design, made much better and costs a fraction of the price.

If there's something specific they make that you wanted a pro and con on, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to give you a more precise breakdown.

really like AEV bumpers, think I found a nice used front one, just missed getting a used rear one. Wish AEV would have a sale once in a while

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
really like AEV bumpers, think I found a nice used front one, just missed getting a used rear one. Wish AEV would have a sale once in a while

Northridge just sent me an email last night saying they have aev stuff on sale now. Plus if you use the code "shark tank" you get 10% off any order

Sent from my iPhone

jeffd

Northridge just sent me an email last night saying they have aev stuff on sale now. Plus if you use the code "shark tank" you get 10% off any order

Sent from my iPhone

look at the email again. They have raised their original prices on AEV so the sale price is the msrp price lol. Kind of funny guess it makes us feel better if we think it was a sale.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
look at the email again. They have raised their original prices on AEV so the sale price is the msrp price lol. Kind of funny guess it makes us feel better if we think it was a sale.

Ahhh ok yea makes sense. I personally am not a fan of aev. Don't like the looks of there stuff except for the hood so I don't really looks at their prices. Good catch tho!

Sent from my iPhone

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Typical northridge. Not sure why people even buy shit from them.

NMBruce

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks, I get the Northridge emails too. their prices are a little bit higher, but with the free shipping, it works out a little better most of the time.

Funny thing is, the rear bumper & tire carrier combo are not on sale, but if you buy them separately, then it is only a $60 savings.
I think AEV makes a very good product, but I bet even the guys at AEV want a good sale once in a while when they go out shopping for Jeep stuff.

If the combo was on sale for 10% or 15%, I think I would buy today, but I think I will keep looking for use or wait and see if there is a Black Friday sale someplace.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What if it was something that wasnt evo? I've dealt with quadratec, north ridge and 4 wheel parts and I don't like dealing with any of them honestly.

if its not evo i go to quadratec or northridge. quadratec cause they are 10-15 mins down the road from me and northridge for stuff that quadratec doesnt stock. also i use amazon a lot as of recent. they seems to have some of the best prices and free shipping if you dont mind waiting a few days longer

Top Bottom