AEV...pro's and con's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It'll do more than light trails and fire roads. Heck, bone stock I did more than fire roads and light trails. For 95% of us that venture offroad, the drop brackets won't limit what we do.

You're right, for guys like you, they won't. And, for guys like you, I personally would recommend the Rancho Sport kit as it is very similar in design to an AEV kit only made better and cost a fraction of the price.

Heck, I really like rockkrawler's stuff, but I just didn't need their full blown kits. I've run other company's arms and like mentioned above by Dallas, seems aftermarket control arms get really noisy after awhile.

To be clear, Rock Krawler utilizes polyurethane bushings on the frame mounts of their control arms and yes, they will get really noisy. For this very reason, there are plenty of companies that utilize Clevite bonded rubber bushings just like factory on their frame mounts (Clayton, Full Traction, TeraFlex) or in some cases on both ends (JKS). Of course, some companies utilize Johnny Joints (Currie, EVO) for this reason and other benefits it offers too.

Would I like coil overs and the like? You betcha!

Actually, for a guy like you, coil overs are probably more than you'd ever need and can actually be quite noisy if the coils get misaligned.

Loudest most annoying arms I've ever run were teraflex.

That's because their bushings tend to blow out and why I tend not to recommend them.

Harshest were Ranchos, probably because of how hard the bushings were.

Ummm, which Rancho kit are you referring to? Their Sport kit, the one that's very similar to an AEV 3.5" lift but a heck of a lot more affordable utilizes factory control arms :rolleyes2:

I probably miss out on some "flex" with stock arms, but nothing that's limited me so far.

With the exception of adjustable front lower control arms to set your caster with, the EVO Enforcer kit utilizes factory control arms. As far as "flex" goes, your shocks will be the ultimate limiting factor, not your stock arm bushings.

My AEV works for me. I'm okay if it cost a bit more than something else. My complaint is the shocks are on the firm side.

Funny that you would blame your "firm" ride on your shocks and not your coils. Is this because they are not made by AEV? Have you actually ever tested out your shocks with a softer set of coils before?

Onroad manners are nice though! Brake dive is quite a bit less than stock.

:yawn37: Believe it or not, there are plenty of other kits out there that provide nice on-road manners. Brake dive is a "bit" less but, it is there. Far from a big whoop-d-doo to justify installing drop brackets for me but, that's just me. Long arms will do this better and give you added benefits but, they do cost a bit more.

When we have a third vehicle the suspension will get changed out along with several other things, axles, engine, etc. But for now, the AEV gets me where I want to go and then some with better than good road manners and simple, easy to maintain components. (Unfortunately, I don't have the time these days to mess with tinkering and wrenching.)

Run what ya brung, have fun, and enjoy the cult of Jeep.

And really, that's all that should matter. Get out, have fun and enjoy the Jeep life! However, to be fair to anyone reading this thread and is interested in an AEV kit, the Rancho Sport kit will do the same thing and at a fraction of the cost. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't say I know of any 2.5" kits that make noise...

As I thought :rolleyes2:

...I was more eluding to some that have aftermarket CA's.

So you were comparing apples and oranges but because it served your purposes, it's okay. :rolleyes2:
In case you didn't know, not all aftermarket control arms are made equally. Believe it or not, some are made better than others and the ones you are thinking of were probably not ones that I would ever recommend.

As far as cons for the AEV, there really aren't any with what it allowed me to do with my Jeep.

:cheesy: Of course there really aren't - we're talking about AEV here.

I will say the springs were can be a little stiff in some situations and I've thought about swapping to plush ride coils.

:shock: Say it isn't so!!! In all fairness, at least you're not blaming your shocks as so many other AEV owners tend to do. :thumb:

DallasJKU

:shock: Say it isn't so!!! In all fairness, at least you're not blaming your shocks as so many other AEV owners tend to do. :thumb:

I'm more assuming that's where the stiffness comes from. I will say it's also the cheapest place to start.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm more assuming that's where the stiffness comes from. I will say it's also the cheapest place to start.

Well, it is a good assumption being that a majority of ride quality comes from springs. Depending on what shocks you are currently running, yeah, new coils might be cheaper to replace.

DallasJKU

Well, it is a good assumption being that a majority of ride quality comes from springs. Depending on what shocks you are currently running, yeah, new coils might be cheaper to replace.

I run a really light Jeep and wonder if the 3" PR coils would give me same height as I have now? Also wonder if the 5100's would fit if I got a little more ride height from the PR coils.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run a really light Jeep and wonder if the 3" PR coils would give me same height as I have now? Also wonder if the 5100's would fit if I got a little more ride height from the PR coils.

Sorry for my ignorance but, what are "PR" coils? Cleary, one I have not run before.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Plush ride

:cheesy: Okay, them I have run before. :D

What I can tell you is that on a light to moderately loaded Jeep, the ones made for 35" tires will give you a true 3" of lift. Depending on what the length of your shocks are, they should be fine too. If there is a down side to the "PR" coils, it's that they can sag a bit on a fully loaded Jeep.

CerOf

I did run the rubi shocks with AEV springs and while it was stiffer than stock, adding in the 5100s firmed things up even more, to me. I feel the ride is more compliant when I have ~500lbs of passenger and gear in the back. On my old ZJ I did have a chance to experiment with several shocks. All were Rancho RS5000, all approximately same collapsed and extended length. They were valved for different applications. One was the shock that came with 3" Rancho lift. Other was designed to be run in a ford full size bronco with factory dual shock setup. The last was for a 3/4 ton p/u.

I ended up with the one for the bronco. The ride was softer, based on the shock alone.

I want to be clear that I agree shocks are not the one and only determining factor in ride , softness, hardness, or perceived quality. The suspension is a system that can have its handling and firmness changed merely by adding longer or shorter antisway bar links. There is a reason manufactures spend a LOT of $$ designing suspension systems.

As for pricing: I priced out as close to "apples to apples" the AEV and Rancho 4" sport lift and did so before I made my purchase. I repriced things, using quadratec, to see if pricing was comparable:

$1,725.99 for AEV SC 3.5"/4.5"

$1,142.99 Rancho 4" sport w/shocks
$359.99 Draglink Flip
$159.99 Procal
$55.99 Jack Base (nice to have but not necessary)
$1,718.96 Total for similar Rancho set up

$7.00 difference. If you don't consider the accessories that AEV throws in, I'd agree the Rancho is a clear value winner.

I have not run Rancho arms and probably never would on my JK. Bad experience with their poly bushings only my ZJ, quite harsh. I ended up crossing them off my list from the prior experience. Same with teraflex. The control arm bushings on my WJ were awful, seemed to shred quickly and made the rig sloppy to drive. Finally yanked it off an went Old Man Emu with stock arms.

After pricing things out, I ended up drinking the kool-aid and went AEV.

So, call me a fan boy. I'll wear the scarlet letter with pride. :D

So, back to the pros and cons:

Cons: It is a firm ride. "Euro-firm" is a good descriptor.
Control arm brackets sacrifice some ground clearance.
A lot of money for brackets!

Pros: firm ride (subjective of course)
Bolt on
Fairly complete kit that will get you through most any trail, or mall.
AEV customer service has been very good. (I made a careless mistake and got wrong nut in wrong bolt and snapped the bolt in half, they took care of me quickly.
Cool looking Bull Decal adds 16HP
Handles very well towing at the JK's limit.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did run the rubi shocks with AEV springs and while it was stiffer than stock, adding in the 5100s firmed things up even more, to me. I feel the ride is more compliant when I have ~500lbs of passenger and gear in the back.

My point exactly - you went from stiff to stiffer. Not sure I'd want to run 500 lbs. worth of passenger and gear just to get a "more compliant" ride.

On my old ZJ I did have a chance to experiment with several shocks. All were Rancho RS5000, all approximately same collapsed and extended length. They were valved for different applications. One was the shock that came with 3" Rancho lift. Other was designed to be run in a ford full size bronco with factory dual shock setup. The last was for a 3/4 ton p/u.

First off, the JK is no ZJ and running the same model old school hydro shock is far from an "experiment". To the best of my knowledge, Rancho 5000's aren't sophisticated enough to have more than one valve setting. In fact, I've actually seen them being built and at their facility in Long Beach, CA and can tell you that they are all the same. Second, your test between stock shocks and Bilstein's prove my point - you ride went from stiff to stiffer and that's because most of ride quality comes from your coils - NOT shocks.

I ended up with the one for the bronco. The ride was softer, based on the shock alone.

Assuming all 3 sets of shocks were brand new and all were the same diameter, your imagination got the better of you.

I want to be clear that I agree shocks are not the one and only determining factor in ride , softness, hardness, or perceived quality. The suspension is a system that can have its handling and firmness changed merely by adding longer or shorter antisway bar links. There is a reason manufactures spend a LOT of $$ designing suspension systems.

Ummm, longer or shorter sway bar links will only effect handling by a bit and will have no bearing on firmness of your ride. Being that I'm such a rookie at suspension systems, please enlighten me on what some of the other determining factors there are in ride, softness, hardness and perceived quality. Please school me on some of the things that manufacturers spend a LOT of $$ on when designing their suspension systems.

As for pricing: I priced out as close to "apples to apples" the AEV and Rancho 4" sport lift and did so before I made my purchase. I repriced things, using quadratec, to see if pricing was comparable:

$1,725.99 for AEV SC 3.5"/4.5"

$1,142.99 Rancho 4" sport w/shocks
$359.99 Draglink Flip
$159.99 Procal
$55.99 Jack Base (nice to have but not necessary)
$1,718.96 Total for similar Rancho set up

$7.00 difference. If you don't consider the accessories that AEV throws in, I'd agree the Rancho is a clear value winner.

Really? You added the Jack base :rolleyes2:
First off, the EVO drag link flip which is identical to your AEV one only it cost $60 LESS. Second, the Rancho Sport kit is only $650 and a set of Rancho 7000MT's are only $300. Even if you were to throw in the jack base, you're still looking at about $300 LESS for everything. If you're willing to wait for one of the many rebates that Rancho offers each year, you can save an addition $300-$400.

I have not run Rancho arms and probably never would on my JK.

Well duh - that is the reason why we are talking about their Sport kit as it has relocation brackets just like your precious AEV kit - you know, an apples to apples comparison :rolleyes2:

Bad experience with their poly bushings only my ZJ, quite harsh. I ended up crossing them off my list from the prior experience. Same with teraflex. The control arm bushings on my WJ were awful, seemed to shred quickly and made the rig sloppy to drive. Finally yanked it off an went Old Man Emu with stock arms.

Like I said, I'm no fan of polyurethane bushings. I said this after you said you liked RK stuff. :rolleyes2:

After pricing things out, I ended up drinking the kool-aid and went AEV.

So, call me a fan boy. I'll wear the scarlet letter with pride. :D

I did and I think it's good that you would wear it with pride.

So, back to the pros and cons:

Cons: It is a firm ride. "Euro-firm" is a good descriptor.
Control arm brackets sacrifice some ground clearance.
A lot of money for brackets!

Pros: firm ride (subjective of course)
Bolt on
Fairly complete kit that will get you through most any trail, or mall.

And, that's about what I said:
A LOT of money just for a set of relocation brackets
Control arm brackets sacrifice A LOT of ground clearance right where rocks like to hit. I have seen this cause factory mounts to fail but hey, what do I know.
Ride is very firm for my taste but, to each their own.
Fairly complete so long as you have a 4-door. If you have a 2-door, it comes with no provisions to address a new rear drive shaft.
It is easy to install though and they do have good customer service.

BigJay

I work right by the AEV facility in Wixom, MI and get to see those beauties driving all around the area. The Brute looks amazing in person

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I work right by the AEV facility in Wixom, MI and get to see those beauties driving all around the area. The Brute looks amazing in person

The Brutes they make are simply works of art. A lot of what AEV makes is really really nice and in spite of what some would try to suggest, I am a fan of most of their products - just not their lifts and for the reasons I've stated.

BigJay

The Brutes they make are simply works of art. A lot of what AEV makes is really really nice and in spite of what some would try to suggest, I am a fan of most of their products - just not their lifts and for the reasons I've stated.

I agree, their stuff is very well made an top notch.
I've never had or ridden in a Jeep with their kit so I have no idea what they're like.
But man, aesthetically they are top of the heap

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i agree some of there stuff is really really nice looking. i would run their hood if it wasnt so much momey. also i love the brute conversions. i have never had or drove and AEV lift so i cant comment on them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i agree some of there stuff is really really nice looking. i would run their hood if it wasnt so much momey. also i love the brute conversions. i have never had or drove and AEV lift so i cant comment on them

FWIW, their lifts are fine (much better now that they no longer use cam bolts) and for some, the ride is great for them. My biggest beef with their kits is that they come at a premium and all you really are getting are a bunch of relocation brackets. If that's what you really want, I can assure you that the Rancho Sport kit will do the same job with beefier brackets, single rate coils that offer a much better ride and for hundreds of dollars less - sometimes close to a thousand less if you take advantage of one of their awesome rebates. But of course, that's just me and all I'm trying to do is put the facts out there.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
FWIW, their lifts are fine (much better now that they no longer use cam bolts) and for some, the ride is great for them. My biggest beef with their kits is that they come at a premium and all you really are getting are a bunch of relocation brackets. If that's what you really want, I can assure you that the Rancho Sport kit will do the same job with beefier brackets, single rate coils that offer a much better ride and for hundreds of dollars less - sometimes close to a thousand less if you take advantage of one of their awesome rebates. But of course, that's just me and all I'm trying to do is put the facts out there.

well im sure almost all of us (ok maybe 90% of us) appreciate your facts and opinions on these things since you have the most experience out of most fo us. i know i like reading your opinions on all of this stuff as it helps me with future purchases and upgrades.

jeffd

I am lucky that I live right down the street from AEV's r&d shop. Literally 5 minutes from me. Have some friends that have the whole 9 yards. I have not ridden in a lot of other brand lifted wranglers but I sure want a 2.5" dualsport for my jkur. sport car handling and for the kind of off roading ie moderate trails at moab and in Montana etc hard to beat. I am sure there are much better really hard core kits out there for extreme stuff but for guys like me they are nice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have not ridden in a lot of other brand lifted wranglers but I sure want a 2.5" dualsport for my jkur. sport car handling and for the kind of off roading ie moderate trails at moab and in Montana etc hard to beat.

You should try to ride in a lot of other brand lifted Wranglers as I think you'd be surprised at how well they ride IF NOT BETTER.

I am sure there are much better really hard core kits out there for extreme stuff but for guys like me they are nice.

You don't need a "really hard core kit for extreme stuff" to have a good time or even a good ride for about the same price or LESS than a comparable AEV lift.

BigJay

You should try to ride in a lot of other brand lifted Wranglers as I think you'd be surprised at how well they ride IF NOT BETTER.

You don't need a "really hard core kit for extreme stuff" to have a good time or even a good ride for about the same price or LESS than a comparable AEV lift.

I really like how my 3.5" RockKrawler rides

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom