AEV...pro's and con's

DallasJKU

I wish I could afford more or justify the EVO. However, I'm very happy with the 2.5" AEV. I do zero rock crawling and I know there are better suspensions, but in the 2.5" range it has never disappointed me once. I would love to run 37's one day, but my dog is older and I can't justify all the other costs that would go into 37's. So for 35's my AEV is perfect. I have enjoyed adding all the individual parts and accessories to my Jeep. Some people just want the ease of having a turnkey package and don't want to deal with or don't have the tools to do the mods. I have no experience with EVO, but they look like a great company. AEV is also a great company with good customer service.

bl17z90

I wish I could afford more or justify the EVO. However, I'm very happy with the 2.5" AEV. I do zero rock crawling and I know there are better suspensions, but in the 2.5" range it has never disappointed me once. I would love to run 37's one day, but my dog is older and I can't justify all the other costs that would go into 37's. So for 35's my AEV is perfect. I have enjoyed adding all the individual parts and accessories to my Jeep. Some people just want the ease of having a turnkey package and don't want to deal with or don't have the tools to do the mods. I have no experience with EVO, but they look like a great company. AEV is also a great company with good customer service.

The 2.5" kit is the only one that I have heard people recommend. I have it as well and it has done good for me but eventually I'll upgrade to something different. It seems like on a 2.5 kit its ok to have a couple relocation brackets but as the kits get bigger they don't give you new parts they just give you bigger brackets.........

DallasJKU

The 2.5" kit is the only one that I have heard people recommend. I have it as well and it has done good for me but eventually I'll upgrade to something different. It seems like on a 2.5 kit its ok to have a couple relocation brackets but as the kits get bigger they don't give you new parts they just give you bigger brackets.........

The bracket are the same size I believe.

DallasJKU

the control arm ones are but I think the sway bar link brackets and rear track bar bracket are larger.....unless they have multiple mounting locations like the control arm brackets do.

That's possible I guess I never paid attention.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If a "turnkey" warranteed lift is what your looking for Mopar makes an overpriced lift that may suit your needs.

But the Mopar kit isn't made by AEV. :crazyeyes:

...but the problem I have is the concept of "money is no object" spending 14k on a lift in a new vehicle AND being so worried about a warranty.

:cheesy: Oh, the irony. :crazyeyes:

I last week installed the Teraflex 2.5 coil lift kit & it's definitely a firm ride when empty. Now after I loaded up my scuba gear ie. 4 130cf steel tanks (50lbs ea), spare, etc. it sagged about 1/2" & smoothed out the ride a bit. So I now inherited a firm ride for dd & soft ride when fully loaded, why can't I have my cake & eat it too...lol

To be fair, I would argue that your ride fully loaded is "smoother" than what you have when empty - NOT soft. At least, that's how I felt when testing them and of course, that is just my opinion. In the end, I feel that it's best to go after what you will be doing the most of and if that's carrying a ton of gear, a stiffer coil may be the way to go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I could afford more or justify the EVO. However, I'm very happy with the 2.5" AEV. I do zero rock crawling and I know there are better suspensions, but in the 2.5" range it has never disappointed me once.

And that's all that should matter. Nothing wrong with the 2.5" kit that they make and for people who prefer a firm ride, I've never hesitated to recommend it. In fact, it's probably the only suspension kit of theirs that I do recommend being that it's actually fairly priced.

I would love to run 37's one day, but my dog is older and I can't justify all the other costs that would go into 37's. So for 35's my AEV is perfect. I have enjoyed adding all the individual parts and accessories to my Jeep. Some people just want the ease of having a turnkey package and don't want to deal with or don't have the tools to do the mods. I have no experience with EVO, but they look like a great company. AEV is also a great company with good customer service.

Honestly, I have no idea why EVO keeps on coming into this discussion especially being that they don't even make a kit that is similar to what AEV offers that would allow you to run 37's. Rancho DOES and it costs a lot less. I should also mention that their kits are made in the USA and they have good customer service as well. If you just want a turnkey package, most dealers I know will offer MOPAR kits and not blink an eye. You can even get them with MOPAR wheels, MOPAR CAI, MOPAR seats, MOPAR winch, and on and on. The only difference is that they aren't made by AEV.

The brackets are the same for both the 3.5" and 4.5" kits. I understand that they finally realized that I was right and they were wrong about them being weak and have beefed them up too be more like the ones that Rancho has been making all along and still offers for LESS. :yup:

bl17z90

The brackets are the same for both the 3.5" and 4.5" kits. I understand that they finally realized that I was right and they were wrong about them being weak and have beefed them up too be more like the ones that Rancho has been making all along and still offers for LESS. :yup:

My 2.5 kit didn't come wth rear sway links and the sway bar now sits at a pretty crappy angle. It also came with front sway link brackets. What I am wondering is do the 3.5 and 4.5 kits come with the size front brackets and if so thats pretty dumb.....Honestly a kit built to use off road should include quick disconects imho. The lack of new brake lines and just giving lowering brackets even on the 3.5 and 4.5 kits kinda bothers me. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My 2.5 kit didn't come wth rear sway links and the sway bar now sits at a pretty crappy angle. It also came with front sway link brackets. What I am wondering is do the 3.5 and 4.5 kits come with the size front brackets and if so thats pretty dumb.....Honestly a kit built to use off road should include quick disconects imho. The lack of new brake lines and just giving lowering brackets even on the 3.5 and 4.5 kits kinda bothers me. :thinking:

The 3.5" and 4.5" kits come with longer rear sway bar links and you can install the factory rears up front (no discos provided). The kit also comes with a drag link flip/front track bar relocation system and built into it are higher mounts for your front sway bar links but, it is still the same thing for both the 3.5" and 4.5" kits. Likewise, even with as much lift as you get, I'm pretty sure new extended brake lines are not provided. If you have a 2-door, there is no way for you to address your pinion angle when you install a new rear drive shaft either.

bl17z90

The 3.5" and 4.5" kits come with longer rear sway bar links and you can install the factory rears up front (no discos provided). The kit also comes with a drag link flip/front track bar relocation system and built into it are higher mounts for your front sway bar links but, it is still the same thing for both the 3.5" and 4.5" kits. Likewise, even with as much lift as you get, I'm pretty sure new extended brake lines are not provided. If you have a 2-door, there is no way for you to address your pinion angle when you install a new rear drive shaft either.

You're saying the 2 door kit doesn't come with rear uppers and the 4 door does or neither do and it just isn't as big a deal on the 4 door? Either way they shouldn't advertise something as a complete kit if it isn't.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're saying the 2 door kit doesn't come with rear uppers and the 4 door does or neither do and it just isn't as big a deal on the 4 door? Either way they shouldn't advertise something as a complete kit if it isn't.....

Neither kit comes with rear upper adjustable control arms. AEV either doesn't build their kits for 2-doors, don't believe that the steepness of the rear drive shaft will cause it to fail, don't know any better or just don't care. On a 4-door, the rear shaft is much longer and is not a problem. No rear adjustable upper arms are needed for it UNLESS you install a new rear drive shaft. And, being that they sell the best HEMI kit out there, I find it hard to believe that they'd put so much faith in a factory rear shaft. This was done with just a wimpy 3.8L.

main.php

dirtlimo

I have read this entire thread and I appreciate the input from all.
I also have an AEV kit (4.5) and I am flat out tired of the ride.
I am wondering about installing a new set of coils (plush ride?) and/or new King Bump stops.
I am more of an overlander and I just returned from a week in White Rim in Canyonlands and I was PRAYING for pavement after 80 miles.
I wanted to get some input on this idea, and if anybody has replaced the coils in the AEV for something else.
I do have the Bilstein 5160’s with reservoir, load range E Toys's and I am fairly heavy.

Thank you:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have read this entire thread and I appreciate the input from all.
I also have an AEV kit (4.5) and I am flat out tired of the ride.
I am wondering about installing a new set of coils (plush ride?) and/or new King Bump stops.
I am more of an overlander and I just returned from a week in White Rim in Canyonlands and I was PRAYING for pavement after 80 miles.
I wanted to get some input on this idea, and if anybody has replaced the coils in the AEV for something else.
I do have the Bilstein 5160’s with reservoir, load range E Toys's and I am fairly heavy.

Thank you:beer:

Plush Ride coils will make a world of difference but, they will sag if you really are heavy. When I ran them, I had to install 1" coil spacers to help make up the difference. If you can afford it, the better way to go is to sell your current coils and shocks and run EVO bolt in coil overs instead. You can customize them to hold up your weight and still offer a great ride. Regarding your toyos, running them at a much lower psi will help you out until you can upgrade.

MICP3309

dont they have a pill for that? :D

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397235982.356436.jpg

There ya go!

Hadn't seen this thread before, learned A LOT from reading through. I have the 4.5 AEV. And wish I had waited and heard about EVO before I spent the cash to do the lift last year. Initially I'll admit I didn't have the testicular fortitude to wrench a whole lot, now all I want to do is do the work myself. I never thought I'd get to do more than RC Park and trails. Now that I'm moving to Colorado in next few years... I kick myself in the head about not getting a strong sturdy high ground clearance set up in the first place! So now I'm looking to re-do the suspension... Pro-rocks, EVO/King coil over set up, arms, and the like. Hopefully I can get some coin outa my AEV set up... Or Buy a second Jeep and do it right!!

All in all Eddie and the gang, thanks for spreading all your knowledge and know how for us to soak up! :thumb:

dirtlimo

Plush Ride coils will make a world of difference but, they will sag if you really are heavy. When I ran them, I had to install 1" coil spacers to help make up the difference. If you can afford it, the better way to go is to sell your current coils and shocks and run EVO bolt in coil overs instead. You can customize them to hold up your weight and still offer a great ride. Regarding your toyos, running them at a much lower psi will help you out until you can upgrade.

Thank you for the input Eddie, running the Toyos at about 25-26psi right now.
I like what you have laid out for an upgrade and I think I am going to go in this direction.
Do you think the bumpstops would be value added for this stage?

Flyer

I have owned an AEV front bumper, rear bumper, and tire carrier. I do love their hood and tire carrier. Oh, the drop brackets are great too. The Procal and the shock relo brackets are stellar too. Oh man, I am starting to sound like a fanboi. Well, I really don't like how stiff the springs are. I prefer Synergy by far. There...I redeemed myself. :D

Slappy32

I bought a ProCal and turns out it was an older version that does not have the TC swap option on it. I contacted AEV and they do not offer upgrades or swaps on just purchased unused ProCals. The Superchips model can be updated over the web to whatever the latest software is. Besides price, is there any reason not get the Superchip Flashpaq over the ProCal?

munstie

I bought a ProCal and turns out it was an older version that does not have the TC swap option on it. I contacted AEV and they do not offer upgrades or swaps on just purchased unused ProCals. The Superchips model can be updated over the web to whatever the latest software is. Besides price, is there any reason not get the Superchip Flashpaq over the ProCal?

I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question. I'm running the Flash Cal and works great easy to read screen, reads engine codes as well. The FlashPac is an tuner as well as the ability to turn on and off other features on the Jeep.

Slappy32

I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question. I'm running the Flash Cal and works great easy to read screen, reads engine codes as well. The FlashPac is an tuner as well as the ability to turn on and off other features on the Jeep.

Yeah, kinda seems like a no brainer, but I though I might have missed something since there's a lot of ProCal fans out there.

Top Bottom