ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

KPM171

Any long term impressions of this compressor? I'm wondering how people who have been using it for a while feel about it.
Are you asking about the CKMA12 (single) or the CKMTA12 (twin)?

I've had the CKMA12 for a bit over half a year (does that count as long term?) and have been very happy with it. No problems at all. It's not the fastest compressor in the world, but it easily gets the job done just fine. I don't use it for air tools or to fill a tank, simply to air up tires. It has no problems airing up my 32's, my friends 35's, and even the occasional set of 37's. I'm especially happy with the mounting location since that would have been wasted space otherwise. If you are running 40's, you may want to look into something bigger or just be prepared to let the pump cool off after a tire or two. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share what I know.

RamP

Thanks for the reply.
I was asking about the single and you answered perfectly. Did you use the Evo mount?

Dexa

I just got this setup for Christmas and I'm waiting for the mount and switch plate to come in. Did this write-up exclude wiring the ignition and illumination portion?

CaliCrusher

I just got this setup for Christmas and I'm waiting for the mount and switch plate to come in. Did this write-up exclude wiring the ignition and illumination portion?

Yes. I opted to keep the switch under the hood because I didn't want to get an entire daystar panel for just one switch(I don't run air lockers).

The two wires not mentioned in the write up are the red/yellow and blue. I ended up running the red/yellow directly to the battery and not connecting the blue.

The only drawback to running directly to the battery is that there's always power to the switch, so you can't forget to turn it off.

I'm sure there's a better wiring option, but I just wanted the damn thing to work at that point, so I went to the battery.

Hope that helps.

Dexa

Yes. I opted to keep the switch under the hood because I didn't want to get an entire daystar panel for just one switch(I don't run air lockers).

The two wires not mentioned in the write up are the red/yellow and blue. I ended up running the red/yellow directly to the battery and not connecting the blue.

The only drawback to running directly to the battery is that there's always power to the switch, so you can't forget to turn it off.

I'm sure there's a better wiring option, but I just wanted the damn thing to work at that point, so I went to the battery.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does! Thank you.

JKFlyer

Yes it does! Thank you.

I run most of my accys directly to batt. Certain ones that are concerning ( compressor and winch) I run a separate trigger style power arming switch....then u can hit normal rocker switch on/off. Its some extra reassurance and easy to do

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dexa

I run most of my accys directly to batt. Certain ones that are concerning ( compressor and winch) I run a separate trigger style power arming switch....then u can hit normal rocker switch on/off. Its some extra reassurance and easy to do

That makes sense. I was considering tapping one of the wires on the passenger side since that part of the dash/kick plate will be removed to run the switch wires anyway. I'll have to do some more research though.

Serg5000

Hope that helps.

I take it you got inpatient and decided to just go battery. Do you plan on finding a power source later? One that turns off with the ignition.

CaliCrusher

I take it you got inpatient and decided to just go battery. Do you plan on finding a power source later? One that turns off with the ignition.

Yeah, eventually. I don't use the compressor everyday so I'm not too worried about forgetting to turn off the switch. Even if I do forget, it's not like it pulls much power on standby.

Dexa

Since I asked the question, I figured I'd follow up since I finished my install this evening. I wired the illumination wire to the orange w/ grey striped wire on the window cluster in the center dash and I tapped the accessory on the cig lighter just below it. Seems to work well.

STORM

Just went through a ARB MKA12 & SPOD install.....It was quite confusing. However, after a call to SPOD & checking out their Harness. I concluded as simpler alternative.

Some may have done this already

Wire up you ARB MKA12 as directed. Then as opposed to having to buy an additional $18.00 Harness from SPOD. take the smaller harness that has all the switch leads, Cut off the connector @ the first section of splices. This should leave you the connector & about 3-5 inches of wires from the connector Red, Black, Yellow, Green. Connect that to the 8 foot lead it is originally designed to connect too...Add SPOD wire tabs & connect to SPOD. Red wire, = Isolator switch, Ground=Ground... Yellow & Green = Switch 1 & 2 for ARB Air Lockers...

Done deal...Hopefully it won't take you as long to figure it all out as it did me....:)

Dave

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tip on wiring up your ARB.

The only thing I would add is to NOT get an SPOD. I caught the owner of the company red handed undercover pimping his product on my forum by pretending to be some gal in Montana. Of course, if things like honesty and integrity don't matter to people out there, I'm sure a much more affordable solution might. Check out this great write-up that'll allow you to make the same thing for a lot LESS:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?13119-DIY-Spod-Waytekwire

:thumb:

NAUJK

I just followed this write up to the T! And my compressor isn't turning on.. I have done everything and can not figure it out..

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just followed this write up to the T! And my compressor isn't turning on.. I have done everything and can not figure it out..

did you hook up the one solo red wire to an ignition source? mine is hooked up to my lighter/12v power source in the cab

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
did you hook up the one solo red wire to an ignition source? mine is hooked up to my lighter/12v power source in the cab

Yup, I would check that and check the inline fuse to make sure it's seated properly and not burnt out. I would also double check your ground.

JKFlyer

I just did this. I think newer versions added another wure that needs power...in addition to red. I thought it was broken till i figured it out. I wanna say blue/white but cant remember. I bet you anything this is your issue

NAUJK

The red solo wire is connected to a hot wire yes.

Yup, I would check that and check the inline fuse to make sure it's seated properly and not burnt out. I would also double check your ground.

Checked the ground with a multimeter it was good. The fuse is not burnt out and it seems to be seated properly.

I just did this. I think newer versions added another wure that needs power...in addition to red. I thought it was broken till i figured it out. I wanna say blue/white but cant remember. I bet you anything this is your issue

Yes there is a blue/white wire it is also connected to a a hot power wire. And still so far nothing. I have exhausted all my electrical know how trying to figure this out. I had a split second where it turned on when I was playing with the wires connected to the battery but now nothing again. Any more suggestions? Woulf live to get this working before the next trail tomorrow! Thnk you all! :beer::beer:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom