ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

scull20

Welcome!

It's possible to install either under the hood or under the front seat. I have mine under the hood.

Many have their reasoning behind their chosen mounting locations. I would suggest using the search function for this topic as there are several threads floating around with a lot of good information.

Edit: Just realized this was with regard to the high output, not the twin. I am not sure if you can mount that under the front seat. There is a mount for the ARB twin for under the front seat...though I am not sure if it's compatible. I have my ARB twin under the hood with no heat issues.

Last edited:

ELBRAVO

Welcome!

It's possible to install either under the hood or under the front seat. I have mine under the hood.

Many have their reasoning behind their chosen mounting locations. I would suggest using the search function for this topic as there are several threads floating around with a lot of good information.

Edit: Just realized this was with regard to the high output, not the twin. I am not sure if you can mount that under the front seat. There is a mount for the ARB twin for under the front seat...though I am not sure if it's compatible. I have my ARB twin under the hood with no heat issues.

Thank you!

Lance628

Hello, I am new to the Forum.

Your instructions were great. I just have a couple of questions:

Does the ARB Compressor get excessive heat from the Engine Compartment?

Is it possible install the ARB Compressor under the Front Seat of the Jeep?

I have a 2 Door so my space is very limited.

I usually have the back seat in the folded up position because I carry a lot of fishing gear at all times.

Please advise,

I have the high output under the hood with no issues at all I used the arb backet

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Anyone have any clue how to go about using the Painless Trail Rocker to power the ARB compressor? I'm using the compressor that Eddie used in this write-up.

WJCO

Meme King
Anyone have any clue how to go about using the Painless Trail Rocker to power the ARB compressor? I'm using the compressor that Eddie used in this write-up.

Just looking at the write up, I think you would just run the switching wires from the compressor to your desired Painless switch, or run the wires that came with the Painless switch to the ARB circuit. Basically follow Eddie's steps but instead of hooking to the Daystar switch, hook it to the Painless switch. That's what I'm seeing. You just need a signaling switch of any type to turn on the compressor.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Just looking at the write up, I think you would just run the switching wires from the compressor to your desired Painless switch, or run the wires that came with the Painless switch to the ARB circuit. Basically follow Eddie's steps but instead of hooking to the Daystar switch, hook it to the Painless switch. That's what I'm seeing. You just need a signaling switch of any type to turn on the compressor.

Instead of using the supplied ARB harness I was just curious about wiring the ARB compressor into the Trail rocker for power, instead of to the battery.

WJCO

Meme King
Instead of using the supplied ARB harness I was just curious about wiring the ARB compressor into the Trail rocker for power, instead of to the battery.

Honestly I'm not too familiar with the painless setup, BUT, I would probably still run the ARB to the battery no matter what just because of the amp draw. Looking at the write up, the ARB setup uses a standard relay where the high power part of the circuit is switched on via the relay from the low power switching circuit. Someone else may know if Painless has a way around this with heavier duty wire, but from what I am seeing, I would hook up the compressor itself to the battery no matter what. I'm just going off basic electrical knowledge on this, not actual product knowledge for either of these manufacturers.

BLK HULK

Little late to the thread but, here's my install. I didn't want it under the hood..

We did the same in the White JKU, but used a full bracket that was made.

CZEBJKU

Go back to page 13 post #121 and see if that helps answer your question. Like WJCO l'm not to familiar with the painless system but maybe the diagram will help.

Supertav

The instructions Evo provided for mounting the bracket into your JK needed an update. Once you loosen the two Allen screws to turn the compressor 90 degrees, it is impossible to get to the two Allen screws to tighten them back. You will have to remove the small silver cylinder assembly to access and tighten the two Allen screws.

Last edited:

Supertav

BTW, the mounting bolts that came with ARB compressor (about 1 inch tall) when using EVO bracket is actually too long. It is touching the brake booster and it is a PITA to mount the bracket.

The EVO Instruction said to mount the bolts upside down but the bolts are too long. So a trip to the hardware store is necessary and get yourself 4pcs of half inch replacement bolts. Again this is only necessary if you are installing ARB compressor under the JK hood using EVO mount.

Although EVO mount seems more work but in my opinion EVO mount is more superior, it's worth the effort as your ARB compressor will sit higher and away from the exhaust!

Last edited:

spicoli

I know this is an old thread that has been brought back to life but I'm happy with my MORE engine mount. Pretty solid and after a year or rock crawling and overlanding nothing has come loose. Personally I think overlanding is harder on vehicles than people realize with all those vibrations it can shake things loose.

Photo is from when I installed it.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452580589.587880.jpg

Angry Aussie

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452607598.006198.jpg

Mine is under the hood with the more mounting bracket. I wanted to mount mine inside my rig at first but quickly realized there's just not enough room on the inside of mine so it had to go under the hood.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I know this is an old thread that has been brought back to life but I'm happy with my MORE engine mount. Pretty solid and after a year or rock crawling and overlanding nothing has come loose. Personally I think overlanding is harder on vehicles than people realize with all those vibrations it can shake things loose.

Photo is from when I installed it.
View attachment 182018

View attachment 182032

Mine is under the hood with the more mounting bracket. I wanted to mount mine inside my rig at first but quickly realized there's just not enough room on the inside of mine so it had to go under the hood.

Thank you for posting those photos. I am in between the two different compressors, the one list by the OP (Eddie) part number CKMA12 and the ones you have part number CKMTA12. The difference being the single versus double tank design of the compressor.

Any thoughts or impressions? Have you been able to compare them to the single tank unit at all? Do you guys run any air tools at all?

spicoli

Thank you for posting those photos. I am in between the two different compressors, the one list by the OP (Eddie) part number CKMA12 and the ones you have part number CKMTA12. The difference being the single versus double tank design of the compressor.

Any thoughts or impressions? Have you been able to compare them to the single tank unit at all? Do you guys run any air tools at all?

First it isn't a tank, there is no air storage except to fill the line unless you install a tank.

And I have actually been able to test the twin vs single... one time filling up I blew a fuse for one of the compressors and I noticed it was taking a lot longer (compressor sounded different too). It was completely manageable, but instead of taking about 1.5min to go from 10 to 30psi, it was taking longer... I don't know how much longer but I would assume 3min because that would make sense. If you are willing to pay the extra I would get the twin. You will be perfectly fine only having a single and a single takes up a lot less space. When I go wheeling with groups, myself and others with twins are always the first ones done, but it isn't that much of a difference; just 5min.

The twin has each compressor fused separately.

Top Bottom