Axle Reinforcement

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Preemptive in that I’m prepping for 37s . Since shop will be doing regear .. figured I’d do shafts as well. I’m leaning towards doing it now

Unless you're upgrading your shafts to 35 spline, I personally would save your money until you actually need to upgrade. I think you'll find that the factory shafts do pretty well and especially so in the rear. Of course, if you're getting new lockers with your regear, I could totally see how you'd want to bump up to 35 spline.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Unless you're upgrading your shafts to 35 spline, I personally would save your money until you actually need to upgrade. I think you'll find that the factory shafts do pretty well and especially so in the rear. Of course, if you're getting new lockers with your regear, I could totally see how you'd want to bump up to 35 spline.

No so I gussetted and sleeved the front Dana 44 a while back when going to 35s so not able to run 35 spline shafts is my understanding . Using stock rubi e lockers . Heard shafts were a weak point and I needed regear so folks recommended the revolution kit for the front .

Last is the rear . Heard the axle is okay but worried about flanges. Revolution stuff seems to have lifetime warranty

After this idea would be to keep all internals and upgrade to PR44 housings if stuff bends down the road .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No so I gussetted and sleeved the front Dana 44 a while back when going to 35s so not able to run 35 spline shafts is my understanding . Using stock rubi e lockers . Heard shafts were a weak point and I needed regear so folks recommended the revolution kit for the front .

Last is the rear . Heard the axle is okay but worried about flanges. Revolution stuff seems to have lifetime warranty

After this idea would be to keep all internals and upgrade to PR44 housings if stuff bends down the road .

Regardless of the make, regardless if it's a 60, ANY semi-float shaft can and will bend with hard enough use. I'm not saying that what you have now won't ever bend, I'm just saying it won't be the end of the world when it does. Certainly, you'd still be able to get yourself home and still have plenty of time to buy a replacement at that time. Just trying to save you some money just in case you ever need it for something you really need.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Regardless of the make, regardless if it's a 60, ANY semi-float shaft can and will bend with hard enough use. I'm not saying that what you have now won't ever bend, I'm just saying it won't be the end of the world when it does. Certainly, you'd still be able to get yourself home and still have plenty of time to buy a replacement at that time. Just trying to save you some money just in case you ever need it for something you really need.

Good points Eddie . I tend to err on side of safety and redundancy. I like to get off the beaten path and often not with huge groups, often don’t carry enough spare gear, and prob wouldn’t be able to do the trail repair on it if it was complicated anyway .. which is why I struggle with how much to invest up front .

Being able to limp home is attractive and decreases urgency for the upgrade for sure .

Hmm decisions .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good points Eddie . I tend to err on side of safety and redundancy. I like to get off the beaten path and often not with huge groups, often don’t carry enough spare gear, and prob wouldn’t be able to do the trail repair on it if it was complicated anyway .. which is why I struggle with how much to invest up front .

Being able to limp home is attractive and decreases urgency for the upgrade for sure .

Hmm decisions .

I wouldn't even call it "limping" home. Hell, I'd carry a shaft with a bent flange as a spare. Like I said, when you get to a point where you need to replace your shaft, do it then and get a Revolution as they are great shafts.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't even call it "limping" home. Hell, I'd carry a shaft with a bent flange as a spare. Like I said, when you get to a point where you need to replace your shaft, do it then and get a Revolution as they are great shafts.

Get your point . Extra 500 doesn’t seem outrageous tho . These costs sort of dont move the needle compared to cost of upgrading to beadlocks . That NY run certainly ended up costing a lot 🤪

jesse3638

Hooked
As Eddie mentioned if your shafts are fine I'd keep running them. I only upgraded when I bent the DS flange. I only needed one but my OCD would allow me to replace the one so I did both...haha. Front shafts with full circle clips would be a good upgrade as that is usually the weak point as you saw on Jerry's rig. Even with two cups missing he still drove 200+ miles home though. Going 37's take that $500 and apply it to hydro assist. That's where you really need it. If you're set on upgrading the axles then do it. Anytime you go on a run or a meet and greet with bigger built rigs it'll cost you money..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
As Eddie mentioned if your shafts are fine I'd keep running them. I only upgraded when I bent the DS flange. I only needed one but my OCD would allow me to replace the one so I did both...haha. Front shafts with full circle clips would be a good upgrade as that is usually the weak point as you saw on Jerry's rig. Even with two cups missing he still drove 200+ miles home though. Going 37's take that $500 and apply it to hydro assist. That's where you really need it. If you're set on upgrading the axles then do it. Anytime you go on a run or a meet and greet with bigger built rigs it'll cost you money..haha.

Haha noted. I still think I’ll go ahead and do it all now for peace of mind . Then beadlocks are next . Last step for me will be 37s and hydro assist together .

I’m not willing to give up indoor garage parking at work yet and I still clear by 1 inch . 37s would end that for good [emoji30]

jesse3638

Hooked
Haha noted. I still think I’ll go ahead and do it all now for peace of mind . Then beadlocks are next . Last step for me will be 37s and hydro assist together .

I’m not willing to give up indoor garage parking at work yet and I still clear by 1 inch . 37s would end that for good [emoji30]

You can always air down when you get to work then air up when you leave...[emoji6]

Gadget

Caught the Bug
What ever axle shafts you get can be swapped over to a PR44 housing later.

Never heard of 760 joints.

I think the difference between 2 and 3 will be the warranty (lifetime v less than lifetime). Other than that and price, they probably will be the same.

The consensus on this forum seems to be that RCVs are not worth the money and the warranty sucks.

I do believe the 760’s were a TJ thing.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Drama continues . Apparently the Evo sleeves I had welded in when I did the gussets do not allow enough clearance up front for the revolution axles . Shop was able to regear and do the rear axle but returned front to stock shafts . Going to try a return with restock fee to revolution .. then going with Yukon axle shaft with 1350 U joint which should fit . Need to come back for the install again . [emoji36]

rubiDave

Drama continues . Apparently the Evo sleeves I had welded in when I did the gussets do not allow enough clearance up front for the revolution axles . Shop was able to regear and do the rear axle but returned front to stock shafts . Going to try a return with restock fee to revolution .. then going with Yukon axle shaft with 1350 U joint which should fit . Need to come back for the install again . [emoji36]

What doesn't fit, the inside diameter of the sleeve or does the sleeve stick out too far?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked

If they won't return them I may be able to take them off your hands. Let me know.

Last edited:

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

Also looks like the last time I had work done and I asked shop to swap out the 2.75” Teraflex bumpstops for the 3” evo bumpstops , they didn’t and just put both in .

Crazy that I didn’t notice the severely limited up travel during the NY run . They will remove again free— but looks like I still need to visit 2 shops before everything will be squared away.

Top Bottom