Axle shafts for 37's

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
The Placer Gold's have a 25 Year Warranty, that's what I've got upfront with 37's. Rear I still run the stock shafts, when they break Ill go Placer Gold there as well.

Thank you for pointing that out. I did not know there was any warranty on the G2 axles, and 25 years for the fronts is pretty good given that is likely the life of my JK anyways.

JTPhoto JK

I suppose it depends on the tire too. I snapped both front axles this past January while crawling slow and winching out of a snow filled ditch. There was no trail fix for that. Both axles snapped at the splines in the locker. I wouldn't take the chance again with stock axles and 37" Pitbulls. I went with RCVs because I don't want to deal with UJoints going out every winter.
So far so good.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I suppose it depends on the tire too. I snapped both front axles this past January while crawling slow and winching out of a snow filled ditch. There was no trail fix for that. Both axles snapped at the splines in the locker. I wouldn't take the chance again with stock axles and 37" Pitbulls. I went with RCVs because I don't want to deal with UJoints going out every winter.
So far so good.

What does a shaft snapping at the spline have to do with u joints?

JTPhoto JK

Nothing at all. I didn't want to replace my broken shafts with chromo shafts with UJoints.
Some suggest to run stock axles til they break. I say don't wait .. Not always an easy trail fix.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Nothing at all. I didn't want to replace my broken shafts with chromo shafts with UJoints.
Some suggest to run stock axles til they break. I say don't wait .. Not always an easy trail fix.

It's an easy trail fix if you carry spares

JTPhoto JK

It's an easy trail fix if you carry spares

Wouldn't have helped me. Spline stubs were stuck in the locker. Had to pull the locker out and play around with it on the work bench to get the pieces out. Both axle seal obliterated.. I wish it would have been as easy as snapped u joint.

FishsJK

But with RCV's you get that really cool orange ball... That's worth 1K and its like putting a baseball card on the spokes of your bike it just sounds bad.

Dalton gang

This is what I'd have to ask. If what you're running ain't broke yet, I'd just keep running what you've got until you actually need new shafts.

Agreed. If and when you need new shafts, I personally wouldn't waste my money on RCV's and would just get a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips. RCV's end up making loud snapping/popping noises that they'll tell you is "normal" and if you twist your splines, they'll tell you that's "normal" too.

Hit the nail right on the head :yup

devwil68

Just installed Nitros on mine...easy and without a locker in the rear, I should be good. Mine were bent, so I replaced them.

JTPhoto JK

But with RCV's you get that really cool orange ball... That's worth 1K and its like putting a baseball card on the spokes of your bike it just sounds bad.

Up here chromo shafts are still 1k.. RCV $1185. That's not a whole lot of difference.

A.J.

Typical noise when cv joints go bad. Usually starts when turning and throttle is applied. Popping clicking noise is joint binding. Then after a little of that it can break the joint.

JTPhoto JK

Typical noise when cv joints go bad. Usually starts when turning and throttle is applied. Popping clicking noise is joint binding. Then after a little of that it can break the joint.

So basically the same noises you get from bad axle UJoints.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not exactly. It's more of a SNAP SNAP SNAP kind of sound as opposed to a clicking. Also, the likelihood that the joint will break is not very high on an rzeppa type of CV but the sound is bad enough that it sure as hell sounds like somethings going to break. For such a superior product that costs hundreds of dollars more than a standard u-joint, I find it to be a difficult to accept as being "normal". Sure, RCV will rebuild the joint for you but you have to ship them your shafts on your dime and have them shipped back to you. Of course, in the mean time, you're out of a Jeep that you can drive.

So basically the same noises you get from bad axle UJoints.

Nope, not even close. When they finally start to SNAP and POP, you'll know it. Sad things is, after 80,000 miles, my factory u-joints were still quite as the day I got my Jeep before I upgraded them and packed them up as spares.

JTPhoto JK

Nope, not even close. When they finally start to SNAP and POP, you'll know it. Sad things is, after 80,000 miles, my factory u-joints were still quite as the day I got my Jeep before I upgraded them and packed them up as spares.

Well you are lucky then. With road salt and mud up here we are lucky to see 40,000klm out of UJoints. Original factory maybe 60,000klm but definitely not from replacements. So far my RCVs have 20,000klm and quiet. Fingers crossed, if they are as bad as you say then I'll change them. Can't see them being any worse then UJoints up here anyway.

Last edited:

A.J.

Not exactly. It's more of a SNAP SNAP SNAP kind of sound as opposed to a clicking. Also, the likelihood that the joint will break is not very high on an rzeppa type of CV but the sound is bad enough that it sure as hell sounds like somethings going to break. For such a superior product that costs hundreds of dollars more than a standard u-joint, I find it to be a difficult to accept as being "normal". Sure, RCV will rebuild the joint for you but you have to ship them your shafts on your dime and have them shipped back to you. Of course, in the mean time, you're out of a Jeep that you can drive.

Send them back? Rebuild them yourself. I bought into the hype and have them. I probably would not buy again, but haven't had any problems. I keep them greased and they work fine so far. I have had chromoly shafts and full circle clips on other vehicles and they work fine too. Are RCV's worth the $$$? Probably not. If/when I upgrade my axles I won't buy them again, but they have worked ok. Either way you get a lot less practice changing joints on the trail. Back in the 90's I got pretty good at it. I was so stoked when I got my first set of alloy axles(warn at the time) and solid joints (spicer 297x I think) with full circle clips. Got to wheel longer and harder but eventually broke those too.

Top Bottom