Axle shafts for 37's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well you are lucky then. With road salt and mud up here we are lucky to see 40,000klm out of UJoints. Original factory maybe 60,000klm but definitely not from replacements. So far my RCVs have 20,000klm and quiet. Fingers crossed, if they are as bad as you say then I'll change them. Can't see them being any worse then UJoints up here anyway.

I live in Nevada, the driest state in America. Before that, I lived in SoCal and so no, salt and mud aren't an issue for me. Like I said, the sound they make doesn't necessarily mean they're going to break - it just sucks especially when you have to pay a significant premium for something that's supposed to be so much better than a standard u-joint axle. Also, if you twist a spline (I have seen it happen), RCV will tell you that's normal too and won't warranty it. :naw:

Send them back? Rebuild them yourself.

At a $400 premium and with a supposed amazing lifetime warranty, I personally don't feel that I should have to anything especially when I've had factory shafts last 5x as long and without making a sound. Of course, that's just me.

I bought into the hype and have them. I probably would not buy again, but haven't had any problems. I keep them greased and they work fine so far. I have had chromoly shafts and full circle clips on other vehicles and they work fine too. Are RCV's worth the $$$? Probably not. If/when I upgrade my axles I won't buy them again, but they have worked ok. Either way you get a lot less practice changing joints on the trail. Back in the 90's I got pretty good at it. I was so stoked when I got my first set of alloy axles(warn at the time) and solid joints (spicer 297x I think) with full circle clips. Got to wheel longer and harder but eventually broke those too.

Like you, I bought into the hype early on and ran a set of RCV's on the old 2009 JKU we used to have. After having first hand experience with it, I couldn't see myself spending the $400 premium for them when a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips would work just as well and for a lot less. While I have broken u-joints, they've all been c-clips and while I have broken chromoly shafts at the shaft, I've yet to break a u-joint with a full circle clip. But then, I'm just a mall crawler.

A.J.

I live in Nevada, the driest state in America. Before that, I lived in SoCal and so no, salt and mud aren't an issue for me. Like I said, the sound they make doesn't necessarily mean they're going to break - it just sucks especially when you have to pay a significant premium for something that's supposed to be so much better than a standard u-joint axle. Also, if you twist a spline (I have seen it happen), RCV will tell you that's normal too and won't warranty it. :naw:

Like you, I bought into the hype early on and ran a set of RCV's on the old 2009 JKU we used to have. After having first hand experience with it, I couldn't see myself spending the $400 premium for them when a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips would work just as well and for a lot less. While I have broken u-joints, they've all been c-clips and while I have broken chromoly shafts at the shaft, I've yet to break a u-joint with a full circle clip. But then, I'm just a mall crawler.

Well to be fair it was a foot to the floor,front tires in the air, "watch this" moment when it happened. Took a few teeth off the ring gear too. That was a long 2wd winching till midnight affair getting back. Wheeee!

I've been subscribed to this thread because in a month or twos time, I will be upgrading to dynatracs on my jeep. BTW I've also read countless others on the subject. Please keep in mind that this post is not meant to start some ill spirited debate, I'm just trying to figure things out.

I understand what everybody is saying about splines twisting and popping and clicking noises and the frustration that comes with that. Quite frankly it would frustrate me too! Is this a regular occurance with RCV's? I also understand people saying that RCV doesn't stand behind their warranty and nothing could be more frustrating than that. On the contrary though I've also read instances where they were a pleasure to deal with and helped out with no questions asked... With all the problems people here have had with them, why then do reputable shops like ORE and trail jeeps among others still recomend them? I'm looking for the best possible (worry free) setup on my jeep and I'm ok spending $400 extra or more even if I'm truly getting the best viable option for my jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been subscribed to this thread because in a month or twos time, I will be upgrading to dynatracs on my jeep. BTW I've also read countless others on the subject. Please keep in mind that this post is not meant to start some ill spirited debate, I'm just trying to figure things out.

I understand what everybody is saying about splines twisting and popping and clicking noises and the frustration that comes with that. Quite frankly it would frustrate me too! Is this a regular occurance with RCV's? I also understand people saying that RCV doesn't stand behind their warranty and nothing could be more frustrating than that. On the contrary though I've also read instances where they were a pleasure to deal with and helped out with no questions asked... With all the problems people here have had with them, why then do reputable shops like ORE and trail jeeps among others still recomend them? I'm looking for the best possible (worry free) setup on my jeep and I'm ok spending $400 extra or more even if I'm truly getting the best viable option for my jeep.

Vendors, even reputable ones are in the business of selling things - it's how they make a living. Because of it, vendors tend to sell products that they have in stock and/or make the most profit on and really, there's nothing wrong with that especially when a manufacturer does a good enough job of advertising that customers demand their products. That being said, guys like me aren't here to sell you anything - I don't need to. What I can do is share what I have seen and with my personal and hands on experience. Guys like you can decide who to trust. In the end, it's your money and your Jeep and you can do what you want with both :)

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I've been subscribed to this thread because in a month or twos time, I will be upgrading to dynatracs on my jeep.

With all the problems people here have had with them, why then do reputable shops like ORE and trail jeeps among others still recomend them? I'm looking for the best possible (worry free) setup on my jeep and I'm ok spending $400 extra or more even if I'm truly getting the best viable option for my jeep.

Because Dynatrac makes there own set of axle shafts that match the RCV specs. Going to a ProRock 44 Extreme Unlimited axle assembly, I opted for 35 spline shafts. Drew at ORE had to build a special axle assembly with the RD157 ARB locker, which accepts the stock E-Locker shaft specs. Meanwhile, Dynatrac wants to sell the RD147 ARB locker which matches the RCV shafts. They sell those axles complete. By asking for 35 spline chromoly shafts with u-joints, this narrowed the selection considerably. I really did not want to go RCV.

Long story short, it is easier for the vendors to sell ready to go, already configured assemblies.

Vendors, even reputable ones are in the business of selling things - it's how they make a living. Because of it, vendors tend to sell products that they have in stock and/or make the most profit on and really, there's nothing wrong with that especially when a manufacturer does a good enough job of advertising that customers demand their products. That being said, guys like me aren't here to sell you anything - I don't need to. What I can do is share what I have seen and with my personal and hands on experience. Guys like you can decide who to trust. In the end, it's your money and your Jeep and you can do what you want with both :)

I'm seriously considering the pr44 with a full float 60 in the back. I know that with this setup wheel spacer/adapters are req'd. If memory serves, I believe i read that you had a similar setup in the past. My main concern is the added stress that spacers will create in the long run on 37's with the back spacing the slabs already have. Did this ever become an issue for you? I know I'm prolly better off going with the 8 lug 60/80 for piece of mind but I know its overkill.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
My "problem" was that when I upgraded the axles, I also could go to a 35 spline shaft. Well, there are only two companies that I know of that sell a 35 spline Dana 44 front axle shaft, the RCV or the G2 Placer Gold. I went with the G2 Placer Gold's with full circle clips. We'll see how they do this summer.

When i went with the PR44 Dru told me about these and i went this direction and really have no complaints. Got a year on them now and about 20 Wheeling trips on them still seems all is well.

knock on wood :crazyeyes:

Heholua

I'm seriously considering the pr44 with a full float 60 in the back. I know that with this setup wheel spacer/adapters are req'd. If memory serves, I believe i read that you had a similar setup in the past. My main concern is the added stress that spacers will create in the long run on 37's with the back spacing the slabs already have. Did this ever become an issue for you? I know I'm prolly better off going with the 8 lug 60/80 for piece of mind but I know its overkill.

You'd be better off with a semi float 60 that is 5 lug if you go the PR44 route IMHO.

I think it's best to stay with all 5 lug or go all 8 lug.

If you're staying with 37s, 5 lug should be fine.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
You'd be better off with a semi float 60 that is 5 lug if you go the PR44 route IMHO.

I think it's best to stay with all 5 lug or go all 8 lug.

If you're staying with 37s, 5 lug should be fine.

Actually, I went full float XD60 and and have the rear at 5.5 on 5, then ORE put in a 1/2 inch space converting the front ProRock 44 from 5 on 5 to 5.5 on 5. This to match the wheel widths and the bolt pattern.

Works great in my humble opinion.

Drew really knows his stuff.

Heholua

Actually, I went full float XD60 and and have the rear at 5.5 on 5, then ORE put in a 1/2 inch space converting the front ProRock 44 from 5 on 5 to 5.5 on 5. This to match the wheel widths and the bolt pattern.

Agreed, this would a great way to go as well to keep the lugs the same and get a full float.

Did you mean 1.5" spacers or did they build a custom width?

This was what I was thinking and also what drew recommended for me. He did recommend the RCV axles but I'll have to think on those

Heholua

You know, I am not sure. The estimate says 1/2". I have yet to take the front wheel off, been so busy.

I would imagine they would be 1.5" spacers with standard width 65.5" PR44 . Otherwise, I think you would've had to have custom axle shafts made.

I would be busy enjoying that new rig also!:cool:

benatc1

Hooked

Because Dynatrac makes there own set of axle shafts that match the RCV specs. Going to a ProRock 44 Extreme Unlimited axle assembly, I opted for 35 spline shafts. Drew at ORE had to build a special axle assembly with the RD157 ARB locker, which accepts the stock E-Locker shaft specs. Meanwhile, Dynatrac wants to sell the RD147 ARB locker which matches the RCV shafts. They sell those axles complete. By asking for 35 spline chromoly shafts with u-joints, this narrowed the selection considerably. I really did not want to go RCV.

Long story short, it is easier for the vendors to sell ready to go, already configured assemblies.

I ran into this same issue when building my PR44, being I wanted the 35spline ARB and the unlimited housing I had a selection of two shafts. the G2s and the RCV. I wanted the G2 and that's what Wes and I agreed on initially even though he recommended the RCVs. nearing the end of the build he contacted me with some fitment issues with the G2s and talked me in the the RCVs as they were made for that locker and housing. Now we talked through all the pros and cons for a while on the phone, and while they are likely unnecessary he gave me one hell of a deal on them so the the price was negligible. so far I have been happy, no noises, however haven't beat them to hard yet but hope to in the near future and see what they can handle! on a higher note Trail Jeeps really did an outstanding job with my build and their customer service was top notch, I chose to trust Wes's advice and he hasn't let me down.

While I agree with the fact that vendors will always try and sell from stock, (thats like the number 1 rule in sales and parts) unfortunately I disagree with the rest of your statement. I was under the impression, from reading thru hundreds of threads here, that all of the complete dynatrac axle setups are built to order so stocking parts would be redundant really as every axle is different. Furthermore, when I spoke to Drew about my build, I asked him what he recomended... And he gave me his opinion based on my setup and needs. I didn't demand or ask for rcv axles at any time especially due to any sort of advertising. That you claim exists. We spent 30 minutes on the phone and he volunteered that the RCV's were the best axle available for the pr44 hands down, even after challenging them from what I've heard here, he insisted they were the way to go. This goes without saying, but anybody that has dealt with Drew on any level knows that he is a straight shooter with a ridiculous amount of experience so having spent almost $30k at ORE already and countless hours on the phone with them as I'm sure hundreds of others have... I trust his opinion.

That being said, I have also read thru countless threads and spent hours upon hours of time doing research here on wayalife as I believe that real world experience is critical as are product reviews as they are generally unbiased and a great source of knowledge. I know that what Eddie says here is gospel, from what I've read so far, I trust that opinion as well. Why, when rcv axles come up in convo, everytime, is it a broken record of sorts? Twisted splines, snapping noises, they tell you its normal. As consumers, that comes across as one case scenario and based on such could be viewed as biased. If this is truly an "unbiased" opinion, after all, you're not trying to sell us anything... Why not more case examples or specifics, after all... There's a lot of us that aren't in the "inner circle" and don't have the first hand experience that many of the others her do. I've done several searches and if this information exists then i truly apologize, but I would love to hear from those specifically that had an issue, what that issue was and what type of equipment your jk was up fitted withat the time of the issue. Is there a thread like this already? I searched and could not find one if it does exist. What about people that "had a buddy" that had an issue and personally witnessed it?

Its common knowledge that axles are a part on built jeeps that fail commonly, they always will. I'm sure RCV's have failed time and time again... But vs others in a pr44 axle, what specifically are the failures and the failure rate and how often do these axles fail. This sort of information would prove invaluable for myself and others in determining what parts are best for them.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While I agree with the fact that vendors will always try and sell from stock, (thats like the number 1 rule in sales and parts) unfortunately I disagree with the rest of your statement. I was under the impression, from reading thru hundreds of threads here, that all of the complete dynatrac axle setups are built to order so stocking parts would be redundant really as every axle is different. Furthermore, when I spoke to Drew about my build, I asked him what he recomended... And he gave me his opinion based on my setup and needs. I didn't demand or ask for rcv axles at any time especially due to any sort of advertising. That you claim exists. We spent 30 minutes on the phone and he volunteered that the RCV's were the best axle available for the pr44 hands down. This goes without saying, but anybody that has dealt with Drew on any level knows that he is a straight shooter with a ridiculous amount of experience so having spent almost $30k at ORE already and countless hours on the phone with them as I'm sure hundreds of others have... I trust his opinion.

That being said, I have also read thru countless threads and spent hours upon hours of time doing research here on wayalife as I believe that real world experience is critical as are product reviews as they are generally unbiased and a great source of knowledge. I know that what Eddie says here is gospel, from what I've read so far, I trust that opinion as well. Why, when rcv axles come up in convo, everytime, is it a broken record of sorts? Twisted splines, snapping noises, they tell you its normal. As consumers, that comes across as one case scenario and based on such could be viewed as biased. If this is truly an "unbiased" opinion, after all, you're not trying to sell us anything... Why not more case examples or specifics, after all... There's a lot of us that aren't in the "inner circle" and don't have the first hand experience that many of the others her do. I've done several searches and if this information exists then i truly apologize, but I would love to hear from those specifically that had an issue, what that issue was and what type of equipment your jk was up fitted withat the time of the issue. Is there a thread like this already? I searched and could not find one if it does exist. What about people that "had a buddy" that had an issue and personally witnessed it?

Its common knowledge that axles are a part on built jeeps that fail commonly, they always will. I'm sure RCV's have failed time and time again... But vs others in a pr44 axle, what specifically are the failures and the failure rate and how often do these axles fail. This sort of information would prove invaluable for myself and others in determining what parts are best for them.

LOL! You're money - your Jeep. By all means, please feel free to do whatever it is you want with both. Makes no difference to me.

LOL! You're money - your Jeep. By all means, please feel free to do whatever it is you want with both. Makes no difference to me.

What I want is to make an intelligent decision based on the world experiences of others.... Being that yours is widely regarded as competent and knowledgeable, I guess I was looking for a little more than, "your money, your jeep"! How bout a link, or point me in the right direction? :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I want is to make an intelligent decision based on the world experiences of others.... Being that yours is widely regarded as competent and knowledgeable, I guess I was looking for a little more than, "your money, your jeep"! How bout a link, or point me in the right direction? :thinking:

This goes without saying but as you've already stated, "anybody that has dealt with Drew on any level knows that he is a straight shooter with a ridiculous amount of experience" and that you "trust his opinion".

benatc1

Hooked
what I took from what Eddie was saying, and please correct me of I'm wrong, is that while the RCVs have their issues-like anything, it's more the premium you pay for them compared to a u-joint style that off sets expectations. like why pay that much more for something that is going to fail just as often, from his experience.

Top Bottom