Axle shafts for 37's

I have RCVs. I have no other real feedback other than I like them a lot and they haven't failed me yet. I dint wheel as much as a lot of these other guys do. They're very good shafts and yes more expensive. I don't know of any side by side trail comparisons between RCVs vs. A good chromoly set with fulll circle clips. Either I'm sure will get the job done for however you are wheeling your rig.

You've made your decision to go with the RCV's and you're trying to validate that decision by getting someone on here to agree with you. You've even gone so far to start shit with the owner of the forum. All you have to do is google the shit and you'll find plenty of information to support Eddies point of view.

Actually i havent made my mind up on anything... Thats the whole point of coming on here and asking for help and all because I said that Drew is a great guy, i was basically shoved aside. I didn't try and start shit, that was never my intention and in fact, i said that very thing in one of my first posts... You're welcome to go back and read it. I believe i also said that I was having a hard time finding any info supporting eddies claim... You're welcome to read that part too.

I was just looking for help, for some insight as to why or how those that did in fact have problems with RCV's. Are we talking 1 guy or 20 guys, a 2000 guys???? Am I not allowed to ask why? That must be in the forum rules... I must have missed, I'm sorry. Never ask forum owner to go into detail or explain his point of view in more depth... Got it, I'm sorry i broke the rules... Carry on

I have RCVs. I have no other real feedback other than I like them a lot and they haven't failed me yet. I dint wheel as much as a lot of these other guys do. They're very good shafts and yes more expensive. I don't know of any side by side trail comparisons between RCVs vs. A good chromoly set with fulll circle clips. Either I'm sure will get the job done for however you are wheeling your rig.

Thanks for your honest feedback

Thanks for your honest feedback

No problem man. The numbers you're asking for are going to be hard to get, referring to how many cases of failed RCV's. Every part that gets hammered enough is going to fail at some point. Eddie's point sounded like it was that RCV wasn't worth the extra ~$400, not that it was a bad shaft or any worse than the next good set. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with - you're going to hear way more good things than bad things about RCV's, and most other chromoly shafts.

Exodus 4x4

Actually i havent made my mind up on anything... Thats the whole point of coming on here and asking for help and all because I said that Drew is a great guy, i was basically shoved aside. I didn't try and start shit, that was never my intention and in fact, i said that very thing in one of my first posts... You're welcome to go back and read it. I believe i also said that I was having a hard time finding any info supporting eddies claim... You're welcome to read that part too.

I was just looking for help, for some insight as to why or how those that did in fact have problems with RCV's. Are we talking 1 guy or 20 guys, a 2000 guys???? Am I not allowed to ask why? That must be in the forum rules... I must have missed, I'm sorry. Never ask forum owner to go into detail or explain his point of view in more depth... Got it, I'm sorry i broke the rules... Carry on

Have you tried google? Clearly you haven't because there's plenty out there to support what he's saying.
Why do you need Eddie to stop what he's doing and personally show you where this information is? Maybe you should've started a thread asking people that have had problems with RCV's to post up, but somehow I think it still would've ended up where this thread has.

you're going to hear way more good things than bad things about RCV's, and most other chromoly shafts.

I did use google and based on what I've seen, I would agree with this statement. There are a handful of people that have had issues though and it would be nice if some of those people could actually share some perspective or insight as to what happenned. Maybe I should have bought 3 stickers lmao

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My god. If you have the money get the RCV's. If you're trying to save a little change buy the u-joint shafts. If you research it you'll find people that have had issues with all brands of shafts. Personally I didn't get RCV's because I wanted to use that extra money on other upgrades. It's really not a topic for a thread that should have 90 posts.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I did use google and based on what I've seen, I would agree with this statement. There are a handful of people that have had issues though and it would be nice if some of those people could actually share some perspective or insight as to what happenned. Maybe I should have bought 3 stickers lmao

Mate isn't that what Eddie did? He gave you his personal experience with them already several times.

As for others if you've found the same on google what more do you need? I know quite a few people in Aus are Pretty pissed about how the RCVs have performed as they cost ALOT more here. I've even heard of the same shit Eddie mentioned in d30s with RCVs.

But If you want a different opinion just keep googling.

badassbrass

This is what I'd have to ask. If what you're running ain't broke yet, I'd just keep running what you've got until you actually need new shafts.

Agreed. If and when you need new shafts, I personally wouldn't waste my money on RCV's and would just get a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips. RCV's end up making loud snapping/popping noises that they'll tell you is "normal" and if you twist your splines, they'll tell you that's "normal" too.

I run RCV'S... No popping noise at all. All component have been suited to it though....

Brian AL

This is what I'd have to ask. If what you're running ain't broke yet, I'd just keep running what you've got until you actually need new shafts.

^ what this guy said. I went up to 37s, and bought a set of Ten Factory Chromoly shafts. They are wrapped up nicely in the back of my jeep. I will put them in when they break. I have wheeled on stock axles now for a year, often and aggressive enough.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I did the opposite and swapped them beforehand. Wrapped up the stock ones and threw them in the ten factory box for a full set of trail spares. Glad I did it this way because I had to slightly clearance the new ones ones to slide through the knuckle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run RCV'S... No popping noise at all. All component have been suited to it though....

Never said it happens instantaneously. Just that it was lame when it does start to POP especially being that you have to pay a $400 premium for them.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Just my personal experience; I broke an outer shaft due to a u-joint failure on the stock 44. Upgraded to RCV's and wheeled them hard for 5 years then upgraded to D60's. Had zero issues with them, I would recommend them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just my personal experience; I broke an outer shaft due to a u-joint failure on the stock 44. Upgraded to RCV's and wheeled them hard for 5 years then upgraded to D60's. Had zero issues with them, I would recommend them.

Stock shafts have c-clips - NOT full circle clips. The number one cause of front axle shaft failures are failures at the u-joint and this is because over time, yokes will wallow out and allow the bearing caps to rotate. This rotation can cause the c-clips to pry itself free and once they come off, there's nothing to hold the bearing cap in place. This is why I always refer to chromoly shafts with "FULL CIRCLE CLIPS" whenever comparing them to RCV's. The price difference between the two is about $400. Yet again, for the $400 premium, I would expect RCV's to not snap and pop loudly where even a stock axle shaft won't. I would also expect for the $400 premium that RCV would fix the problem under warranty instead of calling it "normal". I would also expect for the $400 premium that if I twisted a spline, they would warranty that as well instead of calling it "normal". The amount of time a part is on a Jeep does NOT = the amount of ACTUAL HARD USE it sees and of course, we all have our own idea of what that means. But hey, that's just me.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Stock shafts have c-clips - NOT full circle clips. The number one cause of front axle shaft failures are failures at the u-joint and this is because over time, yokes will wallow out and allow the bearing caps to rotate. This rotation can cause the c-clips to pry itself free and once they come off, there's nothing to hold the bearing cap in place. This is why I always refer to chromoly shafts with "FULL CIRCLE CLIPS" whenever comparing them to RCV's. The price difference between the two is about $400. Yet again, for the $400 premium, I would expect RCV's to not snap and pop loudly where even a stock axle shaft won't. I would also expect for the $400 premium that RCV would fix the problem under warranty instead of calling it "normal". I would also expect for the $400 premium that if I twisted a spline, they would warranty that as well instead of calling it "normal". The amount of time a part is on a Jeep does NOT = the amount of ACTUAL HARD USE it sees and of course, we all have our own idea of what that means. But hey, that's just me.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I had no issues, no popping, no snapping, nothing, and got my $$ back out of them when I sold off my old axles. My buddy still runs them in his JK with no issues either. My two Toyota buddies run Longfields and also have had zero issues. I'm not sure why you had such problems and such poor customer service, I just haven't experienced that nor have my friends who run them.

Top Bottom