Axle shafts for 37's

Since we're on the subject of 37's somewhat. What are everyone's thoughts on running a 37 with stock driveshafts?

Sorry you had a bad experience, I had no issues, no popping, no snapping, nothing, and got my $$ back out of them when I sold off my old axles. My buddy still runs them in his JK with no issues either. My two Toyota buddies run Longfields and also have had zero issues. I'm not sure why you had such problems and such poor customer service, I just haven't experienced that nor have my friends who run them.

LOL!! Don't recall asking for an apology and don't know why you'd feel the need to give one. That being said, I'm sincerely glad to hear that you and your buddies had good experiences with your RCV's. Certainly, nothing would suck more than spending $400 more for a set of axles that turned out to have problems. Now, I understand it's hard for you to see past whatever it is you have set in your head but if you take a moment, you just might see that the only thing I hope to do is SAVE PEOPLE SOME MONEY. All I'm saying is that a standard set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips will perform just as well as RCV's and they are about $400 more affordable. That $400 can be used to buy something like a heavy duty tie-rod or help pay for a drive shaft or ball joints. But hey, clearly everyone is free to spend their money and on their Jeep however they want.

Since we're on the subject of 37's somewhat. What are everyone's thoughts on running a 37 with stock driveshafts?

If you've got enough lift to run 37's, you really should be running an aftermarket front drive shaft as the factory shaft will tear it's slip shaft boot and/or will see premature failure at the CV boot due to it sitting in a constant state of pinch. If you have a 2-door, your rear drive shaft will be sitting at a steep enough angle that it will fail prematurely as well. A replacement for it will be needed sooner than later. If you have a 4-door, you can make the factory rear shaft last quite a while but of course, a lot of that depends on how you play and where.

I already recently tore the slip shaft boot on the front and have heard of others doing the same and continuing to run them. I am running a 4 door w/ 4" lift. My 35's almost look too small lol just as an example of where and what we I am doing: I am heading to Moab in March 2017 with a group to run rusty nail, behind the rocks, metal masher, and green day at Area BFE...

LOL!! Don't recall asking for an apology and don't know why you'd feel the need to give one. That being said, I'm sincerely glad to hear that you and your buddies had good experiences with your RCV's. Certainly, nothing would suck more than spending $400 more for a set of axles that turned out to have problems. Now, I understand it's hard for you to see past whatever it is you have set in your head but if you take a moment, you just might see that the only thing I hope to do is SAVE PEOPLE SOME MONEY. All I'm saying is that a standard set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips will perform just as well as RCV's and they are about $400 more affordable. That $400 can be used to buy something like a heavy duty tie-rod or help pay for a drive shaft or ball joints. But hey, clearly everyone is free to spend their money and on their Jeep however they want.

The extra $ was worth it to me, performance was good, resale value was high, for me it was a good value. If your experience with chromolly shafts with full circle clips was good and $400 less, that's great. Now the OP has first hand experiences he can review and decide what works best for him.

The extra $ was worth it to me, performance was good, resale value was high, for me it was a good value.
Like I said, your money - your Jeep. I feel sorry for the guy who paid top dollar for your old shafts but if he's happy, that's all that matters.

If your experience with chromolly shafts with full circle clips was good and $400 less, that's great. Now the OP has first hand experiences he can review and decide what works best for him.

Well thank god you chimed in with your 2¢. I'm sure the OP would have been lost without it. :crazyeyes:

I already recently tore the slip shaft boot on the front and have heard of others doing the same and continuing to run them.

Well sure you can keep running without the boot but you do realize that the boot exists to help keep grease in at that point. Over time, the shaft will begin to seize up and cause other issues. Also, as I had mentioned, your front shaft is sitting at a steep enough angle that the CV boot at the output shaft will be in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will fail as well. You asked, I'm just sharing what I have seen.

I am running a 4 door w/ 4" lift. My 35's almost look too small lol just as an example of where and what we I am doing: I am heading to Moab in March 2017 with a group to run rusty nail, behind the rocks, metal masher, and green day at Area BFE...

Yeah, 4" of lift is a LOT of lift for just a set of 35's. If it were me, I'd be running something closer to 2.3" - 3" at most.

BTW, here's a shot of a factory rear drive shaft that barber polled on a Jeep running 35" tires on Steel Bender.

main.php

BTW, here's a shot of a factory rear drive shaft that barber polled on a Jeep running 35" tires on Steel Bender.

main.php

Like I said, your money - your Jeep. I feel sorry for the guy who paid top dollar for your old shafts but if he's happy, that's all that matters.

Well thank god you chimed in with your 2¢. I'm sure the OP would have been lost without it. :crazyeyes:

Well sure you can keep running without the boot but you do realize that the boot exists to help keep grease in at that point. Over time, the shaft will begin to seize up and cause other issues. Also, as I had mentioned, your front shaft is sitting at a steep enough angle that the CV boot at the output shaft will be in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will fail as well. You asked, I'm just sharing what I have seen.

Yeah, 4" of lift is a LOT of lift for just a set of 35's. If it were me, I'd be running something closer to 2.3" - 3" at most.

Wondering if there is a quick fix or what you can do about a torn boot, i have a new spare shaft , should i switch them out now? I run a 3 or 3.5 lift , 35s

I was not making an arguement, just stating what I've seen. I have actually been pretty diligent about making sure its got grease on it. I am planning on doing a front shaft soon anyway, but theres a slight chance that I'll end up with a great opportunity to get 37's before I have the extra dough for the front driveshaft..

I actually agree 100% on the lift size. That's just what was on it when I bought it (although it had never been wheeled) and couldn't see downsizing my lift when I'm planning on being on 37's in the near future anyway.:rock:

Holy crap !!! What makes it do that?

Spinning tires coming to a complete stop thanks to an undercut ledge.

Wondering if there is a quick fix or what you can do about a torn boot, i have a new spare shaft , should i switch them out now? I run a 3 or 3.5 lift , 35s

If the spare is another factory shaft, just leave in what you've got and run it until you can afford to replace it with a new aftermarket shaft. Installing another factory shaft will just result in you having two shafts with torn boots.

Spinning tires coming to a complete stop thanks to an undercut ledge.

If the spare is another factory shaft, just leave in what you've got and run it until you can afford to replace it with a new aftermarket shaft. Installing another factory shaft will just result in you having two shafts with torn boots.

Precisely why I am still running my front shaft with a torn boot...

Definitely go with Eddie's advice on anything and everything

If someone tells me this is "normal" they can go f off. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24361-Is-RCV-feeding-me-BS&highlight=axle+shaft

You guys are still talking about this...:cheesy:

Did you actually read thru the original thread you linked? The OP says that RCV would not warranty his twisted axles and everyone goes into an uproar, however, on the very last page he admits he wasn't the original purchaser. Does anyone else see a problem with this? One of the most basic principles regarding warranties on anything is that they always only apply to the original purchaser unless otherwise noted!

The other thing that kinda disturbs me is that these axles are for a d30 axle and are 27 spline... Has anyone come forth and claimed the same thing happening to a 35 spline RCV axle used on either a Dana 44 or a prorock 44? If so, I'd love to hear the story.

If someone tells me this is "normal" they can go f off. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24361-Is-RCV-feeding-me-BS&highlight=axle+shaft

You guys are still talking about this...:cheesy:

Did you actually read thru the original thread you linked? The OP says that RCV would not warranty his twisted axles and everyone goes into an uproar, however, on the very last page he admits he wasn't the original purchaser. Does anyone else see a problem with this? One of the most basic principles regarding warranties on anything is that they always only apply to the original purchaser unless otherwise noted!

The other thing that kinda disturbs me is that these axles are for a d30 axle and are 27 spline... Has anyone come forth and claimed the same thing happening to a 35 spline RCV axle used on either a Dana 44 or a prorock 44? If so, I'd love to hear the story.

Ah. I didn't know the rcv failure was 27 spline on a d30. That changes the dynamics a lot. I have rcvs on a pr44...I hadn't heard any failures on all research I did.

Top Bottom