Bed mounted spare or none at all?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Forget spare parts, in my opinion, if you're really carrying all the necessary tools to work on a Jeep AS WELL AS the fluids YOU NEED and simply can't MacGyver or make out of thin air, there's no way you have enough room to carry a 40" spare inside your Jeep. I carry just what I need and in the most compact form possible and at least for me, there would be no way I could do it. Likewise, if you're actually playing on the kind of terrain that requires 40's, you're kidding yourself if you think you won't ever get a flat or that you could just go back to your trailer and get it if needed.

At only 3 miles in length, a trail like Devil's Canyon is one I would consider to be short but it is one that will give a JK on 40's a hard time. If you break or have a flat in it, you're working on it right there and there's no having some turn around let alone having them wheel all the way back over everything you just came over, just to get your 40" spare back at your trailer and then wheel it all the way back to you. Sure, you might be able to walk the 5 miles to the closest place you could have parked your trailer and then carried it back but it would be in triple digit heat and all the while, you'd be "that guy" blocking the trail for everyone else.

A lot of the trails out in Johnson Valley are like this as well as out in Florence Junction. If you only play up in the mountains, I would say there are parts of Fordyce that are like this and then there's always Carnage Canyon. Whatever benefit you think you'll see by not having to carry a 125 lbs. spare will be a moot point once you're in need of it. If nothing else, for everyone else's sake, please don't be "that guy" on the trail.

tippedover

As I agree with Eddie and others about space issue. I did have a budy who took the back seats out of his 4 door and fabed a holder for his 40 in the place of the back seats (I'll see if I can get a picture from him), not sure how well it worked and what not

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
I have had a 40 in the rear of my jeep for day trips, and it's a tight fit. Both rear seats folded down and tools tossed all around behind and on top of it with a super small cooler. Doable, yes but you give up a lot of storage if you are running it on the deck, and you will have to unpack everything to get it out which blows.

aTX427

OK, cool. In the future just say John, it's a dump idea and we would all be doing it already if it wasn't. J-K, but seriously thank you for giving me insight to what sounds lwhat would have been a waste of time. I was thinking about starting another thread about what spares and tools people carry, but had planned to search the history first.

.....so who in Houston wants to trade a month old Evo Pro Series tire carrier for a fulll size swing out?

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
OK, cool. In the future just say John, it's a dump idea and we would all be doing it already if it wasn't. J-K, but seriously thank you for giving me insight to what sounds lwhat would have been a waste of time. I was thinking about starting another thread about what spares and tools people carry, but had planned to search the history first.

.....so who in Houston wants to trade a month old Evo Pro Series tire carrier for a fulll size swing out?

We wouldn't get any entertainment out of it if we didn't give you a hard time, lol. As far as tool threads, we have a bunch.

jk12blk

Is anyone rolling around with a bed mounted spare or none at all when they wheel? I am getting ready to go to 40's and would rather not carry one when I wheel, but will most likely throw a spare in the cab or keep it in the truck. This is partially financially driven and partially to shift weight forward the axle or eliminate 125lbs altogether. I would like to see creative solutions and discuss experiences on the subject.
Over three years now and I can tell you from experience it works great. Recommend removing the rear seat. There is plenty of room for all your food and beverage, tools, parts, etc (most of which I pack low behind the front seats). Lighter stuff like clothes, chairs, tents can easily be packed up on top of the tire. Fluids fit between the gaps between the tire curvature and tailgate. I ditched the POS factory sub to more easily fit the 40 and replaced it with a JL sub behind my passenger seat. Go for it if that is what you want. If the family ends up going, then install your tire carrier and back seat. Easy peasy.

Capture.jpg Capture2.JPG

mastrcruse

I ran with no spare on the highway and got tired of having it in the back when wheeling. Since I already had PS corners, I added a Genright tire carrier to hold my current spare whichll hold my 40's when I move to them once I get my XD60. I like the spareless look but got tired of the spare sitting in the garage when not wheeling and in the rear when wheeling.

I would keep it in the rear but want to use my rear seat for passengers. If I didn't need room for passengers I might consider another solution that keeps it in the rear.

Brute

Hooked
Carry a spare...it is without doubt the number one trail fix...and many trails are much harder to run in reverse, if you think that's the shortest route...

XJADDICTION

Banned
What if you just carry a tube for tractors from Agriculture supply store like tractor supply, or a Coop. Carry some zip ties and suture outside with drill first. Use gorilla tape inside covering zip ties, and out side covering zip ties on a sidewalk repair. Pop the tube in there and beadlock all back together. Just a thought. Would be easy to fold tube up and rear takes no room.

aTX427

I'm going to carry a spare, because im a minimum of 5 hrs from home anytime on a trail, but may look into building a mount off the back seat harness bar. Something that clamps on, so I can pull it if I don't like the end result. To me, a spare is a necessary evil. I hate the extra weight, but need to have one. Of the things that break, where does having to change a tire in the field stack up? I haven't wheeled enough, because I have only sliced a sidewall once, but didn't notice it until I was back home.

JeepJeep75

Good call! Going on a trail, any trail without a spare is just plain stupid! No matter how built-up your jeep is, or isn't, a flat tire can happen to anyone, at anytime. As others have said, don't be that guy.

BigPrince

42" Trep Sticky full spare on an AllSouth Autosports custom mount. Fits behind rear seats and under full oem soft/hard top just fine.
d0a773865be49d240a8daeb4fd6602f4.jpg

On Suicide Hill in AreaBFE Moab.

Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

Could maybe find the right buyer at 600 and only spend 400 out of pocket on the swing out carrier. I like the look of spareless and have thought about keeping the 37in the rear but tailgate won't close with the smitty bags. Thought about making a deck that sits above the spare and have tools. But that's a different story with a 40"

aTX427

Great - thank you for sharing guys. Keep them coming.

42" Trep Sticky full spare on an AllSouth Autosports custom mount. Fits behind rear seats and under full oem soft/hard top just fine.

On Suicide Hill in AreaBFE Moab.

Big Prince, that is the first JK I've seen running 42" Trep stickies on this site. Do you have street meats as well and do you have a build thread? I'm curious if you went sky high to clear the tires, trimmed the heck out of the body or limited up travel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom