Bent front axle housing.....now what?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The short side is bent and the only way that the shop could tell it was bent was by looking at the difference in the gap between the sleeve and the housing while they had the diff open and the axle shaft is rubbing against the sleeve. They changed the axle seal with a new design seal by Chrysler that is a little better and allows for a little play in the axle. They said I can still drive and still wheel but it will leak in the future. They said that I need a new housing sooner than later

And that is about what I told you on your other thread and without charging you to take your axle apart.

Heholua

Yeah pretty much what I figured. And Moochie yes this is the same shop that said it was the axle shaft that was bent 2 weeks ago :( I've pretty much learned my lesson and am going to EVO from now on. Teraflex looks good on paper but if I'm going to spend the money I will go with what's proven.

Are you guys running the standard PR44 or the upgraded one with the 1/2" wall tubing

I'm running the unlimited and extreme version.

Heholua

As much as a new one with shop labor. But its really not to bad to do. I see your side, but no one mentioned if you can do it to do it, so i did. Imo most guys offroading hard enough to break/bend axles will know a guy who's prolly willing to help for free or maybe a case of beer....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

At the end of the day you will still have a used axle housing that you know nothing about and how much fatigue it has endured.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I'm a little surprised that your tube has bent at the housing. Do you drive fast and hard? Your profile says 35" tires. Are you the original owner? It takes quite a bit to bend them at the housing. Fast desert driving is usually the cause of this.

I am shocked that it is bent because I never drive very fast and I am the original owner. I had the axle sleeved and gusseted with the lift so as long as it's been on 35s. Honestly the only thing I ever drive fast over are speed bumps in my neighborhood. If that will bend an axle housing than i am even more shocked!

I don't really play hard in the rocks. Most rock crawling I really will ever do is the rubicon and trails like it. I plan on maybe 37s long term. I don't drive much desert and when I do. It go crazy fast. Is the1/2" wall tubing PR44 really that much better than the standard 5/16"?

Maertz

Banned
A little visual inspection will help. Seen as your so against it how about buying a aftermarket housing and tubes. Tons of buggies and hill climbers use either of them (build there own or use a junkyard) and put them thru true severe offroading. You make it seem like you have no hope of finding a good d60 or 14b...

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
And that is about what I told you on your other thread and without charging you to take your axle apart.

They didn't charge me anything to pull the axle apart and change the seals. Also they noticed some play in the brand new ball joints and replaced them under warranty also. They checked the unit bearings this time and said there was nothing wrong with them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They didn't charge me anything to pull the axle apart and change the seals. Also they noticed some play in the brand new ball joints and replaced them under warranty also. They checked the unit bearings this time and said there was nothing wrong with them

I'm glad to hear it but, you still haven't said that I was right - that I gave you genuine information and NOT influenced advice. I won't lie, you know me personally and know that I have gone way out of my to help you and on more than one occasion and completely FREE of charge. For you to now come on here and suggest that just because Dynatrac has chosen to help support this forum, advice I might give might somehow be influenced or not genuine is a bit offensive.

BTW, did your shop ever mention why he doesn't recommend Dynatrac? Did he happen to mention how Dynatrac won't sell to him? Remind me again exactly who's being genuine here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A little visual inspection will help. Seen as your so against it how about buying a aftermarket housing and tubes. Tons of buggies and hill climbers use either of them (build there own or use a junkyard) and put them thru true severe offroading. You make it seem like you have no hope of finding a good d60 or 14b...

Dude, I think we all get it - give it a rest already.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I'm glad to hear it but, you still haven't said that I was right - that I gave you genuine information and NOT influenced advice. I won't lie, you know me personally and know that I have gone way out of my to help you and on more than one occasion and completely FREE of charge. For you to now come on here and suggest that just because Dynatrac has chosen to help support this forum, advice I might give might somehow be influenced or not genuine is a bit offensive.

BTW, did your shop ever mention why he doesn't recommend Dynatrac? Did he happen to mention how Dynatrac won't sell to him? Remind me again exactly who's being genuine here.

Absolutely you were right!! I will be the first one to get behind you and say you know exactly what your talking about. It is because of your advise that I took it back to them and insisted that they pull it apart and check everything including unit bearings.

Eddie you have always been good to me and I appreciate it. The reason I said I wanted unbiased advise wasn't directed at you but just me trying to convey that no matter what I brought up to rebel today they were pushing the tera44.

As for why dynatrac won't sell to them I don't know and they never mentioned anything of that sort. but knowing now that they don't makes a little more sense as to why they kept pushing the teraflex

Eddie i apologize if my post came off sounding like I was saying that you only push dynatrac because they sponsor the forum.

I know you personally and know also that you would only let a company that you trust and a product you believe in sponsor your forum

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely you were right!! I will be the first one to get behind you and say you know exactly what your talking about. It is because of your advise that I took it back to them and insisted that they pull it apart and check everything including unit bearings.

Eddie you have always been good to me and I appreciate it. The reason I said I wanted unbiased advise wasn't directed at you but just me trying to convey that no matter what I brought up to rebel today they were pushing the tera44.

As for why dynatrac won't sell to them I don't know and they never mentioned anything of that sort. but knowing now that they don't makes a little more sense as to why they kept pushing the teraflex

Eddie i apologize if my post came off sounding like I was saying that you only push dynatrac because they sponsor the forum.

I know you personally and know also that you would only let a company that you trust and a product you believe in sponsor your forum

Thank you. I won't lie, I was a bit offended by your post especially being that I thought we were friends but if it was a misunderstanding, it's all water under the bridge for me. If you don't believe me about Dyantrac not selling to them, flat out ask them to order one up for you and see what they have to say.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Thank you. I won't lie, I was a bit offended by your post especially being that I thought we were friends but if it was a misunderstanding, it's all water under the bridge for me. If you don't believe me about Dyantrac not selling to them, flat out ask them to order one up for you and see what they have to say.

Yup misunderstanding it was. Ok now for the dynatrac is the upgraded tubes worth it? Or will I be fine with the standard 5/16" be ok?

I may just have to go ask rebel for a dynatrac axle for fun and see what they say :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup misunderstanding it was. Ok now for the dynatrac is the upgraded tubes worth it? Or will I be fine with the standard 5/16" be ok?

Honestly, I don't know. I would think you'd be okay but, I've always gone with the 1/2" tubes. If you can afford it, I might recommend the 1/2" just to be on the safe side. If you need to save cash, you can always recycle your Rubicon internals and go that route. That's what I did with Rubicat.

I may just have to go ask rebel for a dynatrac axle for fun and see what they say :)

I'd love to hear what they have to say. :crazyeyes:

Moochie

You might even be able to find a low mileage Rubicon Dana 44 take off. They do pop up for sale sometimes and at pretty good prices.

matt

Caught the Bug
Short side? Not sure I have ever heard of that one. If your running the PJ truss the long side is bent too.

I sure the hell wouldn't install a junk yard axle in a new jeep. After it's all says and done you are at the price of an American made axle.

Junk yard axles are American made. Jus' sayin'

Having a fresh axle is nice if your funds allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Junk yard axles are American made. Jus' sayin'

I think you are misunderstanding what he was trying to say. Not that junkyard axles aren't made in America, just that when all is said and done, the cost to build one up will cost about the same as a "new" axle that is made in America. As in, not a new one that is made in China and assembled here in America. :yup:

Top Bottom