Bent front axle housing.....now what?

matt

Caught the Bug
If we are strictly talking about a 44, one could buy, truss and gusset a 44 for half the cost of a pro rock if they are resourceful enough. If your going to drop it off and pick it up from a big name shop when done then that's a different story all together.

Not everyone needs or can afford a 2000 dollar axle housing.

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If we are strictly talking about a 44, one could buy, truss and gusset a 44 for half the cost of a pro rock if they are resourceful enough. If your going to drop it off and pick it up from a big name shop when done then that's a different story all together.

So that it's clear, the OP already has a 44 that he sleeved and gusseted and now is looking for something better because he now knows that it's still far from being a ProRock 44.

Not everyone needs or can afford a 2000 dollar axle housing.

Jus sayin'

Ummm, no, not everyone needs or can afford a 2000 dollar axle housing BUT, since you seemed to have missed it, the OP was asking specifically about axles you can buy and have a shop install for him. Jus sayin' :rolleyes2:

Remind me again why you chose to dig up this old thread just to chime in with any of this now especially being that we've already covered all this before?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I am going to be going the dynatrac route. Nothing against junkyard axles but personally I don't want to have to spend the money to rehab the junkyard axle only to still have a 20 year old axle under my new jeep. I like the fact that the new axles are easily swapped in and work with all the computers and sensors on a new jeep. I bought a new jeep so that it could be reliable to drive a thousand miles wheel it and drive home. To me investing in a brand new axle just makes the most sense for my situation

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Looks like he spends more time "just Sayin' " than "just listening".
Damm kids these days:banghead:
We Are Jeep..Resistance Is Futile..

"A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he heard, the less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird."

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
It took them a couple weeks and then they came back and said yes they could do it. However for the price they quoted me for it Eddie said they are probably buying it from another vendor.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
It took them a couple weeks and then they came back and said yes they could do it. However for the price they quoted me for it Eddie said they are probably buying it from another vendor.

Hahaha now THAT'S funny. Bet that's why they took so long. They used a lifeline. :cheesy:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
There quote was right around $4500.00 and only $500.00 of it was labor. That's for the PR44 unlimited reusing my stock internals

mrmet1983

Pro rock all the way !! Not saying the TF isn't badass but for the price just not worth it to me

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

turbineguy

Pro rock all the way !! Not saying the TF isn't badass but for the price just not worth it to me

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Confused. The Teraflex is a couple of hundred cheaper than a Dynatrac configured exactly the same. So why isn't the price worth it?

I've actually done the math on all available axles out there, and Teraflex do have the strongest tubes out of all the off-the-shelf axles.

Disclaimer: I went with a Prorock 44 last fall, but truthfully if I had it to do again, I probably would of done Teraflex.

From what I can tell, either one is a solid choice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Confused. The Teraflex is a couple of hundred cheaper than a Dynatrac configured exactly the same. So why isn't the price worth it?

I've actually done the math on all available axles out there, and Teraflex do have the strongest tubes out of all the off-the-shelf axles.

Disclaimer: I went with a Prorock 44 last fall, but truthfully if I had it to do again, I probably would of done Teraflex.

From what I can tell, either one is a solid choice.

:cheesy: Strongest by what? 2% was it? This of course coming from a company that came out with the "MONSTER" track bar which was touted as being the "biggest" and made out of "solid" steel so that it had to be the "strongest" and of course, it was cheaper than a lot of their competition. And you know what, I even fell for it. Back in the day, I ran them and told all my friends to run them and what did time tell us? Made in China parts BREAK!!

main.php

Then there's the HEAVY DUTY tire carrier TeraFlex tire carrier. These are still being sold with the crazy notion that the factory hinges are some how weak and how this is needed to carry a large heavy spare on your tailgate. Of course, we now know that these super beefy tire carriers have been seeing breaks too whereas I still have yet to see a single factory hinge break - Hmmmmm :thinking:

attachment.php

I simply cannot make this stuff up.

Time has a way of bringing out the truth in things and what time has shown me is that made in the USA Dyantrac axles are worth the extra couple of hundred bucks even if you've been able to mathematically determine them to be 2% not as strong as their made in China competitors. But then, that's just me. :yup:

Marauder

In my opinion to support an American company is worth a couple extra hundred bucks. I buy things all the time that cost "a little more" just to support American industry. Once in a while, I actually find something made in America that is cheaper. Just think about the markup that these guys are making on the Chinese crap. The way I think of it is; Am I getting ripped off by a company making their crap in China on the cheap and ripping me off on the markup? Or am I putting my money into some American welder/fabricators pockets and the overhead for workers comp/ health insurance etc. Buy American, bring the competition and industry back home where it belongs. end rant and threadjack

turbineguy

:cheesy: Strongest by what? 2% was it? This of course coming from a company that came out with the "MONSTER" track bar which was touted as being the "biggest" and made out of "solid" steel so that it had to be the "strongest" and of course, it was cheaper than a lot of their competition. And you know what, I even fell for it. Back in the day, I ran them and told all my friends to run them and what did time tell us? Made in China parts BREAK!!

main.php

Then there's the HEAVY DUTY tire carrier TeraFlex tire carrier. These are still being sold with the crazy notion that the factory hinges are some how weak and how this is needed to carry a large heavy spare on your tailgate. Of course, we now know that these super beefy tire carriers have been seeing breaks too whereas I still have yet to see a single factory hinge break - Hmmmmm :thinking:

attachment.php

I simply cannot make this stuff up.

Time has a way of bringing out the truth in things and what time has shown me is that made in the USA Dyantrac axles are worth the extra couple of hundred bucks even if you've been able to mathematically determine them to be 2% not as strong as their made in China competitors. But then, that's just me. :yup:

2% was the currie / dynatrac comparison on 60's, now I am talking about 44s.

Basically, diameter gives you a bigger increase in strength over wall thickness.

A Teraflex HD 3.25 x .5 diameter tube is roughly 20% stronger than a 3" x .5" diameter tube. This is based on using the section modulus of the tubing. You can use this page http://www.novanumeric.com/samples.php?CalcName=SectionModulus to calculate the numbers. This assuming that they use the same spec materials of course (which considering that Teraflex is made in china, is not guaranteed).

Of course the Dynatrac is already over 3 times stronger than a stock axle tube, so its probably questionable whether you actually gain anything except for weight in real world advantages.

I assume that the engineers at each company have done their own risk assessments vs benefit vs cost calculations.

My decision to have gone with Teraflex would of been purely financially based ($400) at the time. I suspect that the added strength is purely overkill. (note: I have a prorock 44 that I love, and don't regret buying at all)

You always win with the Made in America argument though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom