BETTER STRONGER FASTER : Making Moby Great Again - MOTECH 6.2L L86 w/10-Speed

bhaner

They're essentially the same engine, the L86 is just the truck version. Robbie changed out the intake to make it an LT1.

Good deal. More room that way I would guess?

I am really excited to see how you like the new setup.

After our trip to Moab a few weeks ago... With the 110-120° weather... I am a little worried about going with an LS. So many have had issues with overheating after the conversion.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Good deal. More room that way I would guess?

I am really excited to see how you like the new setup.

After our trip to Moab a few weeks ago... With the 110-120° weather... I am a little worried about going with an LS. So many have had issues with overheating after the conversion.

With the LT manifold there are some other ways to cool intake temps and ways to make it run cooler. Lots of race shops like RPM in Delaware and CSP in PA build 1000hp race cars on the LT platform.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With the LT manifold there are some other ways to cool intake temps and ways to make it run cooler. Lots of race shops like RPM in Delaware and CSP in PA build 1000hp race cars on the LT platform.

Yup, this ^^^^^

I should also note, prior to swapping out our LS, we were running a JL fan and it made a real difference.

uberc4

LOL - Honestly, he's still our favorite. For anyone who's had the pleasure of driving him or taking a ride in him over big shit hard and fast, they know how amazing he really is. :yup:

Hoping to make that happen sooner than later. Early on, Robbie said it would take a while and I was fine with that being that we just got our Gladiator and wanted to spend time with it.

They're essentially the same engine, the L86 is just the truck version. Robbie changed out the intake to make it an LT1.

What is Robbie doing that has kept Moby away for so long? I understand that it got caught up within the whole COVID and factory shutdowns. 9 months is a long time, but will be well worth it in the end. Is it because of the 10 speed integration and Motech’s new computer board?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What is Robbie doing that has kept Moby away for so long? I understand that it got caught up within the whole COVID and factory shutdowns. 9 months is a long time, but will be well worth it in the end. Is it because of the 10 speed integration and Motech’s new computer board?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I know from a GM perspective that a lot of parts have been backordered. We have cars at our dealer that have been sitting in our lot waiting for parts for months. An example is lifters. Idk what moby has been waiting for but I’m sure it was on massive backorder

Dale72

Hooked
I know from a GM perspective that a lot of parts have been backordered. We have cars at our dealer that have been sitting in our lot waiting for parts for months. An example is lifters. Idk what moby has been waiting for but I’m sure it was on massive backorder
I think that they have been waiting for a part that has to come from overseas

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

DP1120

I hope it never has the DOD/AFM lifter issue. The newer ones haven't seen as many issues as the older gen 4 and earlier gen 5 just as they haven't had as many miles on them typically. I still deal with them regularly all the way up to the 2020 trucks that have the cylinder shut down on all 8 cylinders and can do them in basically every variation. Seems that system has had issues since it was put in back in some of the 06 vehicles and newer mostly just weak lifters. Good news is it is pretty easy to fix if that ever happens.

I had an L86/8L90 truck and really hated that transmission. It always just acted goofy. I always wanted to do the swap to that set up until i had one for a while. I have not driven one with the 10 speed and being a collaboration transmission with ford hopefully the programming is better and it doesn't act as weird as the 8 speed does. I can say the L86 and 8 speed combo did run really well under wide open and millaged pretty well on a fairly heavy stock truck getting mid 20's on the highway regularly. Still undecided if i would do something like the l86 and 10 speed or if i would do a bigger cubic inch aluminum ls with a 6 speed. Both a good combinations just preference on that end of it i guess.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who didn't see it, Motech posted up a good video of Moby with lots of cool drone shots and with a lot of info regarding their new single module system. Check it out!

Getting real close now :rock:

WJCO

Meme King
For those of you who didn't see it, Motech posted up a good video of Moby with lots of cool drone shots and with a lot of info regarding their new single module system. Check it out!

Looks great. I learned a ton about this setup from that video. I had forgotten those were DI engines.

DP1120

The single module system is cool. At least it would make install faster and easier for the people that like to DIY their stuff like myself.

wjtstudios

Hooked
They put so much time and knowledge into Moby, it’s unbelievable. I can imagine your anticipation of getting him back!

That drone footage was epic too [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

rmccown

Getting real close now :rock:

Nifty. Looking forward to your "So we got Moby back...." video :thumb:

Top Bottom