Bonedoc's Sting gray JTR build.

bonedoc

Okay, have a dilemma hear. Just installed a Genesis Dual battery kit in my JT Gladiator. Install went easy and smooth with no issues. Problem is my K&N Filtercharger kit won't clear the power steering reservoir now.
Not sure what to do...eliminate the dual battery kit....or go back to the stock air box.

Opinions?

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, have a dilemma hear. Just installed a Genesis Dual battery kit in my JT Gladiator. Install went easy and smooth with no issues. Problem is my K&N Filtercharger kit won't clear the power steering reservoir now.
Not sure what to do...eliminate the dual battery kit....or go back to the stock air box.

Opinions?

Thanks

Post a picture of how the power steering reservoir plays into this. But regardless, for a Jeep application, I would keep a dual battery setup over a cold air intake any day.

bonedoc

Post a picture of how the power steering reservoir plays into this. But regardless, for a Jeep application, I would keep a dual battery setup over a cold air intake any day.

Agreed, I'll post a pic. I'm waiting hear back from Genesis to see if they have heard of this and possibly have a solution. It looks like if the reservoir was shifted up about 2-3inches it could then shift back about an inch or so and clear the air box.

bonedoc

Here are some pics. Spoke to Shane at Genesis and they had not seen or heard this yet. Think I'm going to just put my stock air box back in. Not a big deal. The only way to fit it would be to essentially relocate the reservoir. Not sure if that is what I want to do on a truck with 50 miles on it...LOL.

gladiator20.jpg

gladiator22.jpg

gladiator23.jpg

gladiator21.jpg

gladiator19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Very excited to see this build. I love the JT and that especially in Sting Gray.

Make sure to post up and let us know how you like this dual battery system. I installed one in a friend's 2007 JKUR a few years ago and, unfortunately, it has been a nightmare for him. No matter what he does, the system is draining both batteries quickly (sometimes within a couple of days) and has ruined two full sets of batteries. We recently installed the G Screen but that hasn't fixed the issue. :naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some pics. Spoke to Shane at Genesis and they had not seen or heard this yet. Think I'm going to just put my stock air box back in. Not a big deal. The only way to fit it would be to essentially relocate the reservoir. Not sure if that is what I want to do on a truck with 50 miles on it...LOL.

Honestly, there's no way I would run anything other than an OE air box. The one on the JL/JT is really nice and the air filter does an AMAZING job of keeping crap out of the engine.

WJCO

Meme King

I fixed your photos. I see what you're saying. I looked at mine too. Couldn't you just rotate the whole reservoir counter clockwise? In other words, leave that one bolt in there loose, but then turn the reservoir in a way where it clears everything, and then tighten down the bolt? Like this:

gladiator21 (1).jpg

bonedoc

Very excited to see this build. I love the JT and that especially in Sting Gray.

Make sure to post up and let us know how you like this dual battery system. I installed one in a friend's 2007 JKUR a few years ago and, unfortunately, it has been a nightmare for him. No matter what he does, the system is draining both batteries quickly (sometimes within a couple of days) and has ruined two full sets of batteries. We recently installed the G Screen but that hasn't fixed the issue. :naw:

Sorry to hear it has been a problem for him. I've had one on my JKU for years and never had an issue.

jdofmemi

Honestly, there's no way I would run anything other than an OE air box. The one on the JL/JT is really nice and the air filter does an AMAZING job of keeping crap out of the engine.

I agree 💯%

After the New year run last year, my JK air filter was packed, while the JL filter was barely dirty, and we ran right behind one another the whole trip.

Also, the protection when splashing through a puddle, whether on purpose or accident, the K&N will suck that right in and BOOM! There goes an engine!

bonedoc

I'm starting to agree. I know there is controversy over whether they really do anything or not, especially with the newer vehicles and how tight the computer controls are. In this case, I'd rather have the dual battery kit than the filtercharger.

Last edited:

bonedoc

I fixed your photos. I see what you're saying. I looked at mine too. Couldn't you just rotate the whole reservoir counter clockwise? In other words, leave that one bolt in there loose, but then turn the reservoir in a way where it clears everything, and then tighten down the bolt? Like this:

View attachment 340442

It is just mad tight in there...lol. There isn't enough room because of the tubes coming down right behind it. I reached out to PSC to see if they have already or in the works any type of a relocation kit. Actually...the best place for it would be right under the filtercharger tube just to the right of the air box. there is a relatively large open area between the box and the fan shroud .Hardest part would be a bracket and where to mount it.

bonedoc

Will update on the reservoir tomorrow. Think I have a relatively simple solution. Can't work on it till tomorrow. On a happier note...got my tires and wheels today!! 37" Ridge Grapplers on KM KM544, gray with black trim ring. Again...I apologize for the pic being sideways. Not sure why it is uploading that way.

tires.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will update on the reservoir tomorrow. Think I have a relatively simple solution. Can't work on it till tomorrow. On a happier note...got my tires and wheels today!! 37" Ridge Grapplers on KM KM544, gray with black trim ring. Again...I apologize for the pic being sideways. Not sure why it is uploading that way.

Now that's gonna look badass installed :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 340469

That's going to looks sweet on that color JT.

bonedoc

Okay, got my issue with my power steering reservoir sorted out. It was really easy. I was definitely overthinking things when I first posted about it. I took some flat stock and bent it into a reversed 'Z' shape. Drilled holes in the ends and used clip nuts and 1/4 -20 flange bolts. I used an empty mounting point on top of the motor. This allowed me to move it up and to the right a few inches. It is also adjustable and you can swing the bracket and or the reservoir to accommodate your situation. Then once the bolts are locked into place it is nice and solid. Got a longer piece of 9.5mm - 3/8" power steering hose and replaced the factory one completely. The hardest part was removing the reservoir and the hose without spilling or dripping any fluid in my brand new engine compartment....I know...but trying to keep it looking clean for a little bit...LOL.

Here are some pics if anyone else runs into this.

Gladiator31.jpg

Gladiator32.jpg

Gladiator27.jpg

Gladiator30.jpg

Attachments

• Gladiator33.jpg
    Gladiator33.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Gladiator26.jpg
    Gladiator26.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Gladiator28.jpg