Build of my JKU

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can. Just make sure you are in 2wd in the transfer case. Otherwise it may get a little bumpy. :crazyeyes:

The axle shafts will spin the pinion. But it will isolate out any driveline vibrations.

Be careful if you remove the axle shafts and try to drive it. The outer stub and nut keep the unit bearing together.

Not really. There are three bolts that connect the unit bearing to the knuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

I don’t doubt that you’ve seen them come apart. On the other hand, I’ve seen people successfully driving on the unit bearing without the shaft. There’s plenty of data to support that it works. For example: https://www.drivingline.com/articles/jeep-wrangler-unit-bearings-what-you-dont-know-can-hurt-you/.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

That was a good find, and a good explanation. I'm sure you remember my wheel story. I'm glad to know the JK fixed that problem, much like they fixed the rear so the axle don't come out if it breaks.

I stand corrected.

I have seen the TJ style and Ram truck style come apart. I was not aware that the JK style had been updated to keep it together.

:thumb:

It seems some do come apart, as I have experienced directly, and at speed, while some, such as a JK, do not need the axle in order to stay together.

Not really. There are three bolts that connect the unit bearing to the knuckle.

They are talking about the bearing portion itself separating, not coming unbolted from the knuckle.

Read the link Fiend put up for more explanation.

MericaMade

My buddy made this for me and I gotta say I love it. I can set the pressure regulator to whatever PSI I want and just hook up to my tire and wait for the ARB to start purging. Once the tires hit the set PSI the ARB compressor will purge every 3-5 Seconds to let me know that the tire is filled.

20200820_155808.jpg 20200820_155813.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

MericaMade

Just ordered the Evo Weld on sliders and skins thanks again to Bubba. Also had a great conversation with Jim at JE Reel and they are making me a new set of 1350 front and rear shafts. JE is going to rebalance the Adams shaft and I will have a front and rear set of Adams up for sale shortly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

MericaMade

Do I need limit straps?

Here is a picture of front end drooped out and where the shaf and pinion sit. The drive shaft is resting on the exhaust in the picture when disconnect. When I place the DS in the yoke I have about 1/16 of clearance over the exhaust. 20201004_130253.jpg 20201004_130309.jpg

bmkrinne

My driveshaft hits the exhaust at full droop. I didn’t put limiting straps on and haven’t had any problems. I only notice it when on the lift. The driveshaft doesn’t show indication of contact so must not be rubbing in service. I think you’re good.

MericaMade

My driveshaft hits the exhaust at full droop. I didn’t put limiting straps on and haven’t had any problems. I only notice it when on the lift. The driveshaft doesn’t show indication of contact so must not be rubbing in service. I think you’re good.

I feel I am right at the bind point.

Last edited:

bmkrinne

I feel I am right at the bind point.

So I just crawled under mine tonight and found a very small score mark where the driveshaft is rubbing the exhaust, but nothing I’m going to worry about. Think about it man....how many revolutions do you really get with the drive shaft at a full droop condition. Not very many and I’m not worried about it all.

MericaMade

So I just crawled under mine tonight and found a very small score mark where the driveshaft is rubbing the exhaust, but nothing I’m going to worry about. Think about it man....how many revolutions do you really get with the drive shaft at a full droop condition. Not very many and I’m not worried about it all.

I appreciate you checking on yours for me. Im not concerned about crawling I am more concerned about bombing across the desert at 40-50 mpg and hitting full droop. The shaft spining that fast and being pulled down putting extra pressure on the double carden concerns me a little.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I appreciate you checking on yours for me. Im not concerned about crawling I am more concerned about bombing across the desert at 40-50 mpg and hitting full droop. The shaft spining that fast and being pulled down putting extra pressure on the double carden concerns me a little.

You don’t have a trophy truck. No way you’re hitting full droop at speed.

MericaMade

You don’t have a trophy truck. No way you’re hitting full droop at speed.

How would you not when you are going over whoop sections or even the slightest airborne just from hitting a roller to fast or a whoop to hard? I'm not saying a long stretch like TT's do but that one that jumps out and bites you every so often.

Last edited:
Top Bottom