Build of my JKU

MericaMade

You can. Just make sure you are in 2wd in the transfer case. Otherwise it may get a little bumpy. :crazyeyes:

The axle shafts will spin the pinion. But it will isolate out any driveline vibrations.

Be careful if you remove the axle shafts and try to drive it. The outer stub and nut keep the unit bearing together.
Thanks. I am trying to isolation each component separately at this point.

So I guess I shouldn't try to drive it without the inner axle shafts in? I am concerned about doing that as well but that is the last component left after the front drive shaft test.

Here is the new yoke that was installed by DT a few months ago. Its tight on there. I have a little play that I can move it side to side but assume the is normal for gears. In and out it doesn't move at all.

I'm gonna take her for a spin now and see what happens.

20200819_095047.jpg 20200819_095113.jpg 20200819_095120.jpg 20200819_095534.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can drive it without the front axle shafts in. You don’t need the shafts or nuts to hold the unit bearings together. You may have some oil leakage though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bmkrinne

Thanks. I am trying to isolation each component separately at this point.

So I guess I shouldn't try to drive it without the inner axle shafts in? I am concerned about doing that as well but that is the last component left after the front drive shaft test.

Here is the new yoke that was installed by DT a few months ago. Its tight on there. I have a little play that I can move it side to side but assume the is normal for gears. In and out it doesn't move at all.

I'm gonna take her for a spin now and see what happens.

View attachment 352132 View attachment 352133 View attachment 352134 View attachment 352135

You should have no radial movement in the pinion, ie side to side movement. Is to can grab the yoke and get movement left and right or up and down, then something is loose in the pinion bearing set. Crush sleeve didn’t allow bearings to fully seat maybe. Rotational movement is to be expected given the gear backlash, but side to side is no bueno.

bmkrinne

You should have no radial movement in the pinion, ie side to side movement. If you can grab the yoke and get movement left and right or up and down, then something is loose in the pinion bearing set. Crush sleeve didn’t allow bearings to fully seat maybe. Rotational movement is to be expected given the gear backlash, but side to side is no bueno.

Vibes may not show up if you have bearing problems due to the lack of loading without front driveshaft connected.

MericaMade

Thanks Brian good info. It's not side to side is rotational I should have been more clear. And the rotational is minimal just enough to hear the gears set move a little.

bhaner

You can drive it without the front axle shafts in. You don’t need the shafts or nuts to hold the unit bearings together. You may have some oil leakage though.

Actually you do. I have seen them come apart.

The outer stub shaft and nut keep them together.

bhaner

You can do it safely by removing the u-joint and inner shafts from the outer stub shaft. Reinstall the stub shaft, washer and nut. That will keep it all together.

fiend

Caught the Bug

wjtstudios

Hooked
Andy, just drove halfway across the country that way with no issues. It can be done.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MericaMade

Thanks for the insight guys and here is today's update. I took the jeep on a 20 minute freeway drive with the front DS tied up and low and behold the noise and vibration was gone. I got the jeep up to 95 and it drove perfect. Came back home, hooked it back up, and went of the same drive and the vibration was back as soon as I got up to 80 mph. This POS Adams shaft has been lengthen once and balanced twice by my local drive-line shop. Both times they spun the shaft as fast as they could and said it was perfect. >:

JE Reel is local so I will be visiting their shop and talking with them about new shafts.

I have to believe that the DS is the issue and not the shafts at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the insight guys and here is today's update. I took the jeep on a 20 minute freeway drive with the front DS tied up and low and behold the noise and vibration was gone. I got the jeep up to 95 and it drove perfect. Came back home, hooked it back up, and went of the same drive and the vibration was back as soon as I got up to 80 mph. This POS Adams shaft has been lengthen once and balanced twice by my local drive-line shop. Both times they spun the shaft as fast as they could and said it was perfect. >:

JE Reel is local so I will be visiting their shop and talking with them about new shafts.

Well it’s great you’ve diagnosed the problem. Not so great that an expensive driveshaft is a POS and your local shop failed to detect the imbalance.

bmkrinne

Nice detective work! Let us know what JE Reel says, as I’ve got a similar issue with my Adams driveshaft needing to be lengthened after installing my PR44 and May just buy a new driveshaft.

BTW, what offset are your wheels?

MericaMade

Well it’s great you’ve diagnosed the problem. Not so great that an expensive driveshaft is a POS and your local shop failed to detect the imbalance.

Right!!!! Double fail. I would not recommend Adams or IE Drive-line in Corona. Nice guys but apparently cant fix the issues.

Nice detective work! Let us know what JE Reel says, as I’ve got a similar issue with my Adams driveshaft needing to be lengthened after installing my PR44 and May just buy a new driveshaft.

BTW, what offset are your wheels?

Method 105 with 3.5 BS.

Ddays

Hooked
Shame it turned out to be the shaft but at least you found it. Also, don't feel the need to go to one of the so-called Jeep driveshaft places. Your local DS shop can make one just as good
as what the other guys do. Hell, they make them for heavy trucks and equipment daily - a 1410 DS is nothing for them. Worth a look anyways.

MericaMade

If my local shop can't balanced a shaft I'm not giving them a chance to build me one. JE Reel is a local shop and prices are the same as the driveline shop who failed.

WJCO

Meme King

Glad you found the issue. I seem recall someone else having a problem with their Adams driveshaft in regards to balancing.

Top Bottom