Check engine light / AEV Procal question

MTG

Caught the Bug
Nope, that's the only problem I've had. Read through all the literature that came with it, looked at the trouble shooting guide and all it told me was that I had an error. There was no explanation as to what I should do and really, I didn't pursue it more because I just assumed it was caused by the flash. I'll give it a try again and hope that it works.

If not, install some drop brackets. Should work then. :thumb:

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Let's try to keep this TECH thread on topic please. The off topic posts have been moved to The Pub.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I have tried this every which way from Sunday. I've attempted to make significant changes and still got nothing. Again, all the settings I've made with my ProCal in the past are still there and it even works with Runtime Functions like increasing the idle speed but, whenever I attempt to change the tire size or gear ratio or program anything, I get an error. I know for a fact that it is critical you restore your computer to stock if it was programmed with a Superchips or Hypertech and have seen where they will no longer work after getting scanned/flashed at the dealership. I didn't restore my ProCal back to stock before dropping off my Jeep at the dealership thinking it would be okay as others seem to think as well but now, I have a unit that no longer works. Now, I would be the first to say that I might be stupid and doing something totally wrong but, this is what I have experienced - take it or leave it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I reprogrammed my Jeep for 33" tires and turned off my TPMS with my AEV Procal. Do I need to reset it to factory defaults before I have the Jeep dealership run their diagnostics?

Based on my experiences and being that you have an 09, I would reset your ProCal to factory defaults before taking your Jeep to the dealership. You will not have any limp mode issues and you will ensure that your ProCal will still work after your visit. Of course, that's just what I would recommend.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012, and have been to the dealer 4 times, and all 4 times things were scanned....still works. Like Eddie said, they are VIN coded so I don't see how it would affect it...still the same VIN. Furthermore, it would seem like a serious lawsuit if everytime you bring your vehicle to the dealer your PROcal becomes a paperweight. I'd throw a tantrum with AEV if my procal was "bricked" from a trip to the dealer. I can understand your settings getting wiped, but rendering your procal useless? I'm go berserk (on AEV).

Edit - I did not attempt to change my tiresize after the above mentioned visits. Will try and report back. If it doesn't work, AEV is getting an angry email.

Edit#2...maybe there is a difference between being scanned and being flashed.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When i was having an issue with my new out the box last weekend, this thread helped a great deal. I ended up just doing a VIN reset before the battery trick to fix my issue. If nothing else try and get Jordan on the phone, appears to be their in house guru.

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?p=29991#post29991

Thanks but, I just scanned through that long ass thread and found nothing that would help me to get my ProCal to program anything. I've already sent an email to them and am waiting for an answer.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Okay, I have tried this every which way from Sunday. I've attempted to make significant changes and still got nothing. Again, all the settings I've made with my ProCal in the past are still there and it even works with Runtime Functions like increasing the idle speed but, whenever I attempt to change the tire size or gear ratio or program anything, I get an error. I know for a fact that it is critical you restore your computer to stock if it was programmed with a Superchips or Hypertech and have seen where they will no longer work after getting scanned/flashed at the dealership. I didn't restore my ProCal back to stock before dropping off my Jeep at the dealership thinking it would be okay as others seem to think as well but now, I have a unit that no longer works. Now, I would be the first to say that I might be stupid and doing something totally wrong but, this is what I have experienced - take it or leave it.

Have you tried contacting AEV to see what they can do?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If you take your vehicle to the dealership and they hook it up to check for codes or just look for data you should be fine.

If they however do a REPROGRAM of the vehicles computer then your aftermarket programmer (aev, super chips , etc.) no matter the brand will most likely be useless. I've seen it several times because of having to reprogram computers on vehicles for updates. They didn't set it back to stock before they brought it to us and not knowing it had an aftermarket programmer previously installed (unless you actually see the thing in the vehicle, or they tell you, you won't always know) once we reprogrammed the computer it will lock out the aftermarket programmer. I'm only assuming on this but I bet it thinks its a different computer, such as if you tried to use the same programmer on more than one vehicle. If you could use it on multiple vehicles they wouldn't sell very many.

So as a little reassurance I would turn it back to stock if I were taking it back to the stealership just to be on the safe side. 10-15 minutes to have to turn it back to stock and then reprogram once the dealer is done with it is a lot cheaper than having to buy a new programmer every time.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you take your vehicle to the dealership and they hook it up to check for codes or just look for data you should be fine.

If they however do a REPROGRAM of the vehicles computer then your aftermarket programmer (aev, super chips , etc.) no matter the brand will most likely be useless. I've seen it several times because of having to reprogram computers on vehicles for updates. They didn't set it back to stock before they brought it to us and not knowing it had an aftermarket programmer previously installed (unless you actually see the thing in the vehicle, or they tell you, you won't always know) once we reprogrammed the computer it will lock out the aftermarket programmer. I'm only assuming on this but I bet it thinks its a different computer, such as if you tried to use the same programmer on more than one vehicle. If you could use it on multiple vehicles they wouldn't sell very many.

So as a little reassurance I would turn it back to stock if I were taking it back to the stealership just to be on the safe side. 10-15 minutes to have to turn it back to stock and then reprogram once the dealer is done with it is a lot cheaper than having to buy a new programmer every time.

Wow, that's a terrible design. I have never seen any other tuner that becomes a brick if the dealer flashes software.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that's a terrible design. I have never seen any other tuner that becomes a brick if the dealer flashes software.

Really?? Seriously, I'd like to know which ones? Just about every tuner I have seen for the JK requires you to set it back to stock before taking it into the dealership just for that reason. The ProCal is the only one that doesn't make that a point but probably should. At least, based on my experiences with it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I meant tuners I have used on other vehicles, not the JK. Whether it was Honda, my BMW, my Audi, etc none have ever been bricked from a dealer flash. Sorry for the confusion.

Moochie

I meant tuners I have used on other vehicles, not the JK. Whether it was Honda, my BMW, my Audi, etc none have ever been bricked from a dealer flash. Sorry for the confusion.

They are not bricked as you will be just locked out. It is possible on the Superchips to contact them and for a fee they will send an unlock code to you. Or if you explain your situation, they will sometimes send it to you for no charge.

Top Bottom