Check engine light / AEV Procal question

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I still think its an unnecessary hassle and charging customers for problems they know exist is poor form IMHO. If they are vin coded, then this should not be an issue since the vin didn't change, which means this "feature" is put in on purpose.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I agree, it's a pain but what are ya gonna do? Better safe than sorry.

Agreed. It would have been nice if there was a giant sticker telling the owner that they need to do this. If I didn't read this thread I wouldn't have known. I actually don't know now if it works. I'm gonna try to reprogram my tire size and see what happens. I have a slight error anyway (65mph on speedo is 63mph on GPS) so it'll be a good test. Hope it still works.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It makes total sense to me that flashing (meaning a dealer reprogram) would render procals/Superchips inoperable on the vehicle.

1) The manufacturers have to design a unit that can only work on one vehicle at a time. Otherwise, people would chip in, buy one unit, then pass it around to program.

2) The easiest way to do this is to have the programmer put the equivalent of a "cookie" into your vehicle's system. Plug in your programmer, it sees the cookie, all is good in the universe. Reset to stock using your programmer, cookie is gone, programmer is unlocked and free to use on any vehicle.

Here is the problem, if the cookie is on your vehicle computer and the dealer flashes and reprograms, the cookie gets wiped out. Plug in your programmer and it can't find the cookie, basically becomes locked, and all is bad in the universe.

Not saying I know this is how all programmers work, I'm just saying it would be easy to make them work that way and I can certainly see why companies would do it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Like I said, I have used probably over 50 different programmers in various vehicles and never have I heard of one becoming inoperable after a reflash. Sure, the programming would be wiped but not the tuner. Other companies have vin specific programmers which do not do this. The unit reads the vin/ecu and pairs with it. Regardless of any reflashes, neither the vin nor the ecu have changed so there is no reason for the unit to think that it is in a different vehicle. This type of coding is done for a single reason, to fleece the customer and that's it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In all fairness, this is most likely a Chrysler issue and not the programmers. Unlike most other auto makers, Chrysler is really protective of their computers and they make it really hard for people to program. This is one of the reasons why nobody offers up a good tuner for a 2012-up, nobody can break the code. It's really frustrating to say the least but, it is what it is. FWIW, one of the reasons why we are doing an LS conversion instead of a HEMI in our white Jeep is to get around this program BS.

Moochie

Agreed. It would have been nice if there was a giant sticker telling the owner that they need to do this. If I didn't read this thread I wouldn't have known. I actually don't know now if it works. I'm gonna try to reprogram my tire size and see what happens. I have a slight error anyway (65mph on speedo is 63mph on GPS) so it'll be a good test. Hope it still works.

Superchips does tell you to return the programming to stock before taking the Jeep to the dealership.

StrizzyChris

Like I said, I have used probably over 50 different programmers in various vehicles and never have I heard of one becoming inoperable after a reflash. Sure, the programming would be wiped but not the tuner. Other companies have vin specific programmers which do not do this. The unit reads the vin/ecu and pairs with it. Regardless of any reflashes, neither the vin nor the ecu have changed so there is no reason for the unit to think that it is in a different vehicle. This type of coding is done for a single reason, to fleece the customer and that's it.

I will say that this is a pretty cheap "programmer" and is not in any way an advanced technology computer programmer. It doesnt connect to a computer for updates...very primitive function. When I paid 100 for mine(a guy selling his new one unused) I didnt expect much, and will learn to deal with the inconvenience of "stocking" it when taking to the dealer. I do however, hope that AEV has some sort of dummy warranty for those who flash and forget to reset though :doh:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Wow, that's a terrible design. I have never seen any other tuner that becomes a brick if the dealer flashes software.

I've seen several from several different brands on several different brand of vehicles.

And quite honestly any one that didn't do it I would question the engineers/designers of it because then that one programmer could reprogram infinite cars and they wouldn't sell any. Since they are out to sell programmers it makes since they wouldnt be that stupid and that they would do it because of that reason alone.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
FWIW, one of the reasons why we are doing an LS conversion instead of a HEMI in our white Jeep is to get around this program BS.

Not to mention the hemi swap cost way to much and the hemi is way over rated. Do the entire LS style of engine swap for the price of just the used hemi motor then go out perform the hemis. Lol.

rtguy1

Not to mention the hemi swap cost way to much and the hemi is way over rated. Do the entire LS style of engine swap for the price of just the used hemi motor then go out perform the hemis. Lol.

^^^^bullshit^^^^ ask how much it costs for the entire ls swap

eddie: any response from aev?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

eddie: any response from aev?

Nope, nothing yet but, it is the weekend.

FWIW and so you don't get the wrong idea, I have been very happy with my AEV Procal and recommend it all the time. For the price, I still will continue to recommend it BUT, I will also recommend that you restore your computer back to stock once you get to the dealership. It takes seconds to do and based on my personal experiences, totally worth it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Truth hurts sometimes.

Used hemis in my area go for $5k plus just for the motor.

Complete GM 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0s with wiring, computer, pedal, can be had for $1k-$1500. Sometimes that price could include a transmission but if not the 4L80e can be $500-$1500. Even the LQ9 6.0 is $1500ish.

Complete GM 6.2s are $1500-$2000. The 6L80e is another $1k-$2k depending.

LS1s are becoming a dime a dozen and can be $1000-$1500 also and usually even include the tranny, t-56 trannys can be had for the price of a 30 pack al the way to a whopping $500 bucks or so in stock form.

I have two complete 6.0s that I have less than $500 in them combined because I was in the right place at the right time.

Now the expensive part: I've been looking at complete kits to swap the LS style of motors into the jk and they are about $5k. But it is a complete kit with everything needed to do the swap. Makes everything work, no dash lights illuminated afterwards. I could play a trial and error game of building my own stuff and finding all kinds of different companies to do this or that and it might be cheaper but honestly I'd rather making one phone call to one company and be done. Yes it might not literally be one phone call but you know what I mean.

Oh and yes I will be doing the swap myself with the help from friends and family so labor costs will consist of my timing helping them on their stuff at some time, after all that's what friends do, and beer and food. Lol.

People don't swap GM motors into every brand of car known to man just because everybody else is doing it. Parts are cheaper, the perform well, the also produce lots of power with little money.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Oh and yes with enough money anything can out perform anything. Sometimes it just hurts when you get out performed by less money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just a follow up, it's been a full day and haven't heard from AEV. Maybe they're just busy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've tried contacting them twice now and still haven't heard back from them. I just sent off another email to Jordan, the guy everyone tells me I should be talking to. Starting to loose a little faith here but, I'll let you know if I hear anything.

jhires

I wonder what the alternatives are to the procal or if anyone has done a real comparison. It was on my list, but if they aren't going to show any support for their own device for what appears to be a real problem, I have to reconsider.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what the alternatives are to the procal or if anyone has done a real comparison. It was on my list, but if they aren't going to show any support for their own device for what appears to be a real problem, I have to reconsider.

The Superchips Flashcal sounds really promising - works on 2012-up JK's too. If I can't get this problem figured out, it's what I'll be trying next.

sean.m.adams33

The Superchips Flashcal sounds really promising - works on 2012-up JK's too. If I can't get this problem figured out, it's what I'll be trying next.

Although I've only had the flashcal for 3 days, I can safely say I love it. Easy to use and already see a huge difference in my rig's performance and gas mileage. I cannot say anything on the procal, having never owned one, but I'm content with the flashcal.

Top Bottom