Chinese Made Jeeps

toolock

it kinda an inside joke my buds and i use, no matter what blame obama, like sean hannity:brows: not that i support the big o but i think its funny how some people blame him for everything and bitched when the dems did it to gwb

toolock

for sure and dont worry i don do politics just a waste of time that i could be hunting, fishing, or jeepin. :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Just so everyone can easily sleep at night....The Wrangler is NOT moving to China.

Wranglers are extremely popular in China, and in Asia for that matter. This is solely a matter of cost effectiveness. Building them all in the US and shipping them there would be an extremely costly venture, and for no reason. So, Chrysler has decided to build another factory in China, to fulfill the demands for that part of the world. The Jeeps you buy in the US and Canadialand will still be manufactured here in the USofA.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just so everyone can easily sleep at night....The Wrangler is NOT moving to China.

Wranglers are extremely popular in China, and in Asia for that matter. This is solely a matter of cost effectiveness. Building them all in the US and shipping them there would be an extremely costly venture, and for no reason. So, Chrysler has decided to build another factory in China, to fulfill the demands for that part of the world. The Jeeps you buy in the US and Canadialand will still be manufactured here in the USofA.

I don't think anyone misunderstood the fact that Wranglers would not be made there and then brought here. The concern was that more and more parts would be made there and then just shipped here for assembly. It's something that is done already with parts made in Canada, Mexico and the like and it's just a reality of the way things works. If you don't think that'll happen, I think you're kidding yourself. Of course, that's just my opinion.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I don't think anyone misunderstood the fact that Wranglers would not be made there and then brought here. The concern was that more and more parts would be made there and then just shipped here for assembly. It's something that is done already with parts made in Canada, Mexico and the like and it's just a reality of the way things works. If you don't think that'll happen, I think you're kidding yourself. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Oh parts absolutely. I think a ton of them are made there now. However, thats the way of the global economy. Even companies we all know any love get a lot of their parts manufactured in China. Even if they assemble them here, it is still far more cost effective to produce parts elsewhere...this is the price you pay for having such weak currency (US dollar.) Unless people want to pay $2000 for a mid level winch, or $62,000 for a 100% made in the USA Jeep, this is the economic climate. I thought some people were thinking that the Wrangler will now be produced and assembled in China, and shipped here by boat.

Also not for nothing (I don't have a dog in the fight) but there are things that are Made in China that are terrible, and there are some things that are made well. The question remains I guess, how are the auto makers going to do things....

Indefatigable

This thread makes me feel really really old.

How about a bit of a different perspective.

Remember when the Japanese used to make all those great reliable fuel efficient cars in Japan and then the US put up all kinds of trade barriers to stop or slow their import?

Now the Japanese manufacturers make most of their cars in the US, Canada or Mexico for the North American market.

Seems like the Chinese are doing the same thing the US did 30 years ago.

Watch the movie Gung Ho with Michael Keaton and other 80s stars. It is alot of fun. Just imagine a Chinese redo with the plant workers being Chinese and the new plant owners being Italians or Americans :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh parts absolutely. I think a ton of them are made there now. However, thats the way of the global economy. Even companies we all know any love get a lot of their parts manufactured in China. Even if they assemble them here, it is still far more cost effective to produce parts elsewhere...this is the price you pay for having such weak currency (US dollar.) Unless people want to pay $2000 for a mid level winch, or $62,000 for a 100% made in the USA Jeep, this is the economic climate.

Well, I don't know if I would completely agree with that. I consider my WARN winches to be top notch and they are made in the USA and cost under $2k. As far as my Jeeps go, sure they weren't made 100% in the USA but I seriously doubt that getting more and more of its parts from China will bring the price of them down. It's just the way things works and I understand that even if I don't always like it.

I thought some people were thinking that the Wrangler will now be produced and assembled in China, and shipped here by boat.

I don't know if I saw that but if it were true, they didn't read the article.

Also not for nothing (I don't have a dog in the fight) but there are things that are Made in China that are terrible, and there are some things that are made well. The question remains I guess, how are the auto makers going to do things....

For me, I think we've just become so accustomed to Chinese made products that if they don't break right away, we accept them as being "made well". And, even if it were true that some of what they make is made well, I would prefer to keep more products made here in America if for no other reason than the fact that it would employ Americans. Either way, I understand that change is coming whether I like it or not.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well, I don't know if I would completely agree with that. I consider my WARN winches to be top notch and they are made in the USA and cost under $2k. As far as my Jeeps go, sure they weren't made 100% in the USA but I seriously doubt that getting more and more of its parts from China will bring the price of them down. It's just the way things works and I understand that even if I don't always like it.

I don't know if I saw that but if it were true, they didn't read the article.

For me, I think we've just become so accustomed to Chinese made products that if they don't break right away, we accept them as being "made well". And, even if it were true that some of what they make is made well, I would prefer to keep more products made here in America if for no other reason than the fact that it would employ Americans. Either way, I understand that change is coming whether I like it or not.

On the whole, Im inclined to agree with you but....I own a Zeon 10S. It is supposedly a made in the USA winch. I believe it. However, I am not sure that all the components are made here, maybe they are, but I don't think it's all american made. Personally, that never bothered me because even Chinese companies like Smittybilt, Rampage, etc all employ americans, sell through American companies that make american profits and employ americans while paying American taxes, etc. The global economy is a good thing and it's thanks to the Chinese for buying all of our debt than we can ever afford to buy anything anymore (but that's a whole other topic.) Unfortunately, we Americans became accustomed to having our cake and eating it too, and then complaining about the icing (wanting cheap products which of course have to be made elsewhere.) I always laugh at people that hate on Walmart...walmart exists solely because the people demand it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This thread makes me feel really really old.

How about a bit of a different perspective.

Remember when the Japanese used to make all those great reliable fuel efficient cars in Japan and then the US put up all kinds of trade barriers to stop or slow their import?

Now the Japanese manufacturers make most of their cars in the US, Canada or Mexico for the North American market.

Seems like the Chinese are doing the same thing the US did 30 years ago.

Watch the movie Gung Ho with Michael Keaton and other 80s stars. It is alot of fun. Just imagine a Chinese redo with the plant workers being Chinese and the new plant owners being Italians or Americans :)

The funny thing is, at the time, the Japanese were actually making a much better product and America got scared and started to behave like isolationists. Of course, depending on who you talk to, things worked out for the better anyway because Japan did start making factorys here and started to employ Americans - in other words, it benefitted us with better products and with more jobs. I'm sure this is totally selfish of me to say but, I don't know how building plants in China will help us.

Indefatigable

Warn winches are USA assembled. Many parts are from their global supply chain. I believe they do the machining in the USA. But things like motors, last I checked was Brazil.

YMMV

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On the whole, Im inclined to agree with you but....I own a Zeon 10S. It is supposedly a made in the USA winch. I believe it. However, I am not sure that all the components are made here, maybe they are, but I don't think it's all american made.

You are right to all a Zeon a mid level winch and I cannot say with certainty that is made 100% here in America. However, I do know that their premium winches are in fact made 100% here in America.

Personally, that never bothered me because even Chinese companies like Smittybilt, Rampage, etc all employ americans, sell through American companies that make american profits and employ americans while paying American taxes, etc.

That may be true but I personally have not see the quality of their products stand up to the products made here in America or at least consistently. And, even if some Americans are employed by the retailer TransAmerica, I personally would prefer to see more employed by American manufacturers as well. Of course, that's just me.

The global economy is a good thing and it's thanks to the Chinese for buying all of our debt than we can ever afford to buy anything anymore (but that's a whole other topic.) Unfortunately, we Americans became accustomed to having our cake and eating it too, and then complaining about the icing (wanting cheap products which of course have to be made elsewhere.) I always laugh at people that hate on Walmart...walmart exists solely because the people demand it.

Can't argue with that. Walmart and the like do exists soley because most Americans demand it and/or don't really care about it. So long as it's cheap, that's all they care about.

Indefatigable

I'm sure this is totally selfish of me to say but, I don't know how building plants in China will help us.

It will be as helpful to Americans as building Japanese car plants in America was helpful for the Japanese.

Look at Japan now. Not doing so well.

Unfortunately, the way things are. China has the US by the short hairs.

There are only a few countries that can effect China. Those countries are those who ship large quantities of fuel and raw materials to China. The only bargining chip left, but they are so desperate to sell to help their economies now, long term planning is forgotten.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It will be as helpful to Americans as building Japanese car plants in America was helpful for the Japanese.

Look at Japan now. Not doing so well.

My point exactly.

Unfortunately, the way things are. China has the US by the short hairs.

There are only a few countries that can effect China. Those countries are those who ship large quantities of fuel and raw materials to China. The only bargining chip left, but they are so desperate to sell to help their economies now, long term planning is forgotten.

This is very true.

Top Bottom