Chrysler will void your engine warranty if you use their mopar cold air intake!

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
So what is your question?

Ha. I just reread my post and didn't see a question either. :crazyeyes:Is the consensus that this was truly CAUSED by the filter or is it more likely that it was a BS line called by Chrysler when it came time to "pay the piper" on an engine replacement under warranty?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ha. I just reread my post and didn't see a question either. :crazyeyes:Is the consensus that this was truly CAUSED by the filter or is it more likely that it was a BS line called by Chrysler when it came time to "pay the piper" on an engine replacement under warranty?

Being that Russ' engine took in a bunch of dirt and dust via the aftermarket intake, it was caused by the filter. This is the reason most folks decide against an aftermarket filter even though it was a MOPAR CAI with a pre-filter installed by the DEALER.

But when you've got a hemi or LS swap pending, Screw it. :crazyeyes:

Hot94Z28

I'm on the app so I apologize if it's in your folks signatures but are most of these 2012 Jeep's? Some with head replacements? I am just asking maybe even with the head replacements their still bunk ass motors? I was just wondering/ curious.

MTG

Caught the Bug
My $.02.

CAI + Synthetic oil + Running the 3.6L long and hard (often in the desert) = recipe for problems.

Wolf Man

Your factory installed air induction system, is the best available.
It is engineered for the proper CFM air flow, along with the correct absolute micron filtration.

Now some of these CIA's, will give you extra noise, and a great Placebo effect.:yup:
100 HP more, plus 10 more miles per gallon!:cheesy:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Your factory installed air induction system, is the best available.
It is engineered for the proper CFM air flow, along with the correct absolute micron filtration.

I believe that the paper filters do a better job filtering but I don't believe the oem intakes are the best designed for performance. They are optimized for emissions and noise but have noticeable restrictions. That being said, I don't think you pick up much performance wise. Maybe a little bit of throttle response but nothing that amounts to a huge benefit.

On the flip side I don't see all the guys with v8 rigs running the same/similar aftermarket filter elements rebuilding engines and scorching cylinder sleeves and rings after a few desert runs. The v8's also generate more vacuum and require more CFM's through the same filter.

Seems odd that there are a few 3.6's that have these issues when Baja trucks and other off-road rigs all run these types of filters for ultra high dollar air/fuel hungry engines.

Now some of these CIA's, will give you extra noise, and a great Placebo effect.:yup:
100 HP more, plus 10 more miles per gallon!:cheesy:

Agreed in the placebo effect but i don't think a token 5 hp is out of the question.

My $.02.

CAI + Synthetic oil + Running the 3.6L long and hard (often in the desert) = recipe for problems.

Now there's a problem with the 3.6 and synthetic oil?!? Sounds like the 3.6 is just a picky little girl of an engine that should stay in a minivan

Sounds to me that this is the punchline. The 3.6 needs to be handled with kid gloves and may be the most finicky factory engine I've personally ever heard of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom