Chrysler will void your engine warranty if you use their mopar cold air intake!

RamP

Just a thought here, or something to think about. Does the Mopar intake say "for offroad use only" like alot of aftermarket products do? If so it's kind off crappy that they would do this.

GuillaumeC91

Three quarts in 1000 miles! That shit is weak I did 3.5 in 700. Come on Chris man up.

Reading this thread got me paranoid... I now check my oil every few days just in case lol. My Jeep has never seen desert sand, but at 20,000 miles I'm still not seeing any noticeable decrease between oil changes.

Hope you guys get this resolved cause that's not okay. Also someone needs to come up with a better filter kit lol. I'll run three filters if I have to! :cheesy:

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

xtremefx4

I have run K&N filters in all my vehicles and never had a problem with them.. I have 2011 JKU w 58000 on it and I don't have any issues. I check my oil once a month and its still in the same place every time. Also I live on dirt road in the desert . But hope you get this issue fixed. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

BTkillerr

One thing i always do when bringing the jeep to the dealership for repairs ill swap out my cold air intake and put the stock air box back in simple

I do the same thing as I have the AFE CAI(I kept the stock items just in case). I have to make an appointment to take me my 2012 in this week due to a "ticking" sound at higher RPMs. Sounds like a lifter or valve but who knows. I already had the cylinder head replaced about a year ago and seemed to be running fine until now.

Question though...I have been doing my own oil changes, will this be a hassle if they try to tell me I haven't been keeping up with my maintenance?

BTKillerr

TheDuff

I do the same thing as I have the AFE CAI(I kept the stock items just in case). I have to make an appointment to take me my 2012 in this week due to a "ticking" sound at higher RPMs. Sounds like a lifter or valve but who knows. I already had the cylinder head replaced about a year ago and seemed to be running fine until now.

Question though...I have been doing my own oil changes, will this be a hassle if they try to tell me I haven't been keeping up with my maintenance?

BTKillerr

I would hope they won't hassle you for doing your own oil changes. Considering how some dealers tell people they can go 10k before needing an oil change, I don't see how they can give you crap about it, but they are always looking for a reason to void that warranty:(

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hobolobo

I would hope they won't hassle you for doing your own oil changes. Considering how some dealers tell people they can go 10k before needing an oil change, I don't see how they can give you crap about it, but they are always looking for a reason to void that warranty:(

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

All dealers are different, but when i asked mine, he said as long as i keep receipts and write mileage on them then there wont be an issue should something happen.

RJEEPO

necrothread bump.

ok I still don't get how a "CAI" causes excessive oil consumption other than sticking your foot in it all the time to hear it roar. did the rings not fully seal or something? this is blowing my mind and I'd really like an aftermarket air filter setup for the audible at least but first the $300 will go to UCA. passing more dirt I can see if the filter material is more porous.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
necrothread bump.

ok I still don't get how a "CAI" causes excessive oil consumption other than sticking your foot in it all the time to hear it roar. did the rings not fully seal or something? this is blowing my mind and I'd really like an aftermarket air filter setup for the audible at least but first the $300 will go to UCA. passing more dirt I can see if the filter material is more porous.

Most CAI's allow too much dirt to get through the filter and that causes the damage that ultimately leads to oil consumption. Factory air boxes use paper filters and they do a much better job of keeping dirt out. Of course, the real point to keeping it is that you have a much better fight on your hands to get a new motor should things go bad anyway.

ttfhell

necrothread bump.

I also ran a pre-filter from K&N for extra protection. Not so much.

Zstairlessone

necrothread bump.

It isn't the CAI per say, but what happens if the filter the CAI uses isn't efficient enough. Dirt is mostly silica and this stuff is pretty bad for your engine. In the intake side of things the dirt will get 'blasted' towards the cylinder wall during combustion and will cause damage to the wall and rings as they run in close proximity with each other. This damage allows the oil to come up into the combustion chamber past the rings using the wear/damage as an access path. It also allows combustion gasses past the rings into the oil. The oil that gets into the cylinder will burn during combustion so you may or may not see smoke depending on damage to the valves, seats and stems which may allow oil to drip down after shutting the engine off. This type of damage or failure is generally called 'dusting' the engine.

If the dirt gets into your oil you will erode the bearings damage crankshaft and camshaft bearing surfaces as well as cam lobes and the associated rubbing parts through to the valves, shorten the life of your oil pump and will shorten your engines life without the consumption indications and super black super quick you see if the engine is dusted.

If you are burning that much oil do a compression check, also the 'feed and bleed' method of oil changes still cannot keep up with soot buildup in the oil and these soot particles will cause the same type of damage as the dirt in the oil. Your filter will not take the soot out (too small of particles) and you will start to clog up passages, like the lifter supply, bearing supply etc and may lose a bearing while the accelerated wear is happening too.

RJEEPO

Ok that makes more sense and I got to remember these Jeeps aren't strictly on the street but OFFROAD where dirt and stuff is flying. Totally understand now. Man, these filters must really suck. Are there any pleated paper conicals? Maybe I should just find a second lid and swiss cheese it for sound (no desert running or immersion risks here).

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Reviving a thread that has probably been beat to death. I understand the concerns about warranty in the CHANCE that something happens. Most of us would rather leave the dealer with no choice but to "automatically" grant warranty. But for those of us with gears, suspension, drivetrain, extra weight, different steering systems, the dealer COULD make all sorts of other arguments against warranty covered engine failures.

My question/comment is on the likelihood of something like this happening and is really the filter? Lets take some of the hardest driven jeeps here i.e. Moby and EVO1, maybe Greg's (GCM2) jeep too? Wouldn't all these V8 conversions be running K&N filters through ultra dusty conditions? These jeeps may pound the pavement from time to time, but wouldn't it be safe to say that they see some of the most brutal conditions that most/any jeep would ever see? That being said, I don't believe a factory style air box and paper filter element is available for V8 JK's.

On the flip side, I was told (this is second hand information may or may not be true) that some of the engine failures were attributed to casting sand in the intake?

Im asking this because Im flip flopping between a variety of configurations for mounting my PSC reservoir and aftermarket filters seem to provide a very good viable option. The dual battery tray is another option, but it involves a LOT of work for me due to some custom wiring I have going on....

Top Bottom